Ryzen Master changed CPU frequencies permanently

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by DigDeep, Jun 21, 2019.

1. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    There is nothing wrong here, its normal for ryzen 2600's to run at 3700 and spike up to 3900 under single core loads.

[​IMG]

2. DigDeep

DigDeep Guest

GPU:
    XFX RX580 GTS Black
    No, 2600 should run 1550mhz at minimum frequency and not at 2600 and 3700. Solution is to put the cpu out from the socket and then put it back in and cpu reverts back to default factory settings.

But now I have different issue, computer won't post, I get nothing, no signal, no beeps, nothing. I tried everything, checked cpu, cables, ram, tried with 1 stick, 2, 3 sticks, tried different psu, cleared cmos, used Vga cable, pulled monitors power out and nothing worked. All I can try now is to use other Pcie slot, if that won't work then I don't know what else to do. Do you have any ideas?

3. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    Weird!

[​IMG]

386SX likes this.
  4. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O

5. DigDeep

DigDeep Guest

GPU:
    XFX RX580 GTS Black
    No actually removing cpu from the socket didnt change a thing, cpu still running at 2600 mhz in idle

I thought that will fix it because people said that Ryzen Master cant change cpu frequencies permanently and that removing it from the socket will fix the issue, but it didnt.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
  6. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    I know my 1600X never drops below 3.7(xfr) I does do it’s single/multicore boost to upwards of 4.1 though.

7. DigDeep

DigDeep Guest

GPU:
    XFX RX580 GTS Black
    Frequencies are not normal for Ryzen 2600. Minimum frequency is 2600mhz, which should be 1550mhz. Cpu in idle is usually at 2993mhz I dont know what else to do, Is there any setting in windows or registry that can change default cpu frequency or cpu power settings? As I said this guy also reinstalled the windows but that didnt helped https://community.amd.com/thread/226086 so Im thinking there is some setting in Windows that changed Cpu frequencies or power settings or both. I hope Ryzen Master didint changed cpu frequencies directly on the cpu, people say that is impossible, but I dont know if that is totally true, because nothing I and that guy did helped, but it should.

8. DigDeep

DigDeep Guest

GPU:
    XFX RX580 GTS Black
    But that is not normal, minimum frequencies of 1600x should be lower, if Im not mistake they should be also 1550mhz as in 2600. Did you set cpu this way? Or do u use High performance power plan or did you maybe used Ryzen Master also and now your cpu also wont revert to factory settings?

9. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    Nah it’s never been that low since the day I got it. I think windows is always putting just enough of a load on it that it never ramps down. This has been true on two different motherboards. I did have a fun problem way back on an early BIOS that caused it to stay at the minimum speed all the time when the multiplier was set manually.

I use the high performance power setting but even when using Ryzen Balanced it never drops below 3.7. I don’t use Ryzen Master.

10. DigDeep

DigDeep Guest

GPU:
    XFX RX580 GTS Black
    That happens because you use High performance power setting, which sets minimum cpu clock state to 100%, Ryzen Balanced sets it to 90%. Those settings dont bring any real benefits to user, they only disable power saving features and core parking and set cpu clock to max and thus use more wattage and voltage. You can disable core parking and use balanced or optimized power plan, if that is what you want and keep power savings and low clock in idle.

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti

which it would run at if you hadn't taken your system off the ryzen balanced profile and have absolutely no load on the processor.

12. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Since thread got semi sane name: P-States.

13. DigDeep

DigDeep Guest

GPU:
    XFX RX580 GTS Black
    Yes but how to change p-states in Windows? In bios P-States and everything else is normal.

My cpu is now running hotter, at more voltage, in idle most of the time it is between 2900 and 3700mhz, sometimes it goes down to 2600mhz, which is not normal operation of Ryzen 2600, in idle cpu should run at 1550mhz.

Quick CPU shows realtime frequency is -1000Mhz

14. The Reeferman

The Reeferman Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    My windows recently changed it's CPU clock behavior. I had to change to the energy savings power plan to get my Ryzen 2600 CPU back to 1550 MHz at idle with task manager opened, with it closed and only Core temp open it didn't clock higher. Seems it clocks higher with even the slightest load then it did before.

15. DigDeep

DigDeep Guest

GPU:
    XFX RX580 GTS Black
    Dont worry, I know how to overclock CPU, I used RM because I wanted to do quick overclock without having to restart the computer, I wanted to quickly see how much performance would I gain with overclock, thats why I used RM, but I agree Bios OC is better. I learned my lesson :) I will never touch overclock programs, I already knew that, but everybody is talking how RM is good, so I tried it. :) I think overclocking is not worth the trouble, because gains are minimal.

• Re-flash 2nd to latest firmware onto motherboard
    • Set & boot system using BIOS defaults
    • procure a Windows2Go USB stick using Rufus and or a Windows PE bootable USB drive to isolate your copy of Windows
    • Install all relative chipset OEM drivers listed on your motherboard's support webpage
    • Don't re-install AMD's Ryzen Master - please
    • Test and verify if your CPU is still locked at the particular Frequency
    Follow each step, don't take shortcuts

16. DigDeep

DigDeep Guest

GPU:
    XFX RX580 GTS Black
    Sorry K.S. I forgot to say that fresh installation of Windows fixed the issue.That says that Ryzen Master changed something in Windows Registry or in System files.

Some people have this same problem with RM. Im glad I solved the issue. It seems guy who said he reinstalled Windows only upgraded and kept the files.

As I said I just wanted to quickly see what performance gains would I get with overclock thats why I used Ryzen Master.

My personal opinion is, it is to not worth it to overclock Ryzen Cpu, maybe first generation, but not second and third.

17. DigDeep

DigDeep Guest

GPU:
    XFX RX580 GTS Black
    I would like to say thank you to AMD because they wanted to issue an RMA, but since I fixed the problem it is not necessary.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  18. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    That’s cool they were willing to do that and I’m glad you fixed it.

19. chiefmasterjedi

chiefmasterjedi Guest

GPU:
    SLI 2xEVGA GTX260 core216
    I just went through the same sh*t. I installed RM and it didn't install properly, kept coming up with a error message whenever I tried to open the program. So I just left it and carried on about my business. I then notice the noise from the fans and when I opened CoreTemp I could see that all 12 cores where at 3700mhz +/- and stayed there, some would turbo to 4.2ghz from time to time. I checked everything I knew of then remembered that program. I googled it and ended up here.
    To cut a long story short I found the issue. Go here https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...hat-block-programs-being-installed-or-removed and download, run it and it will guide you along, I told the program that my issue was unistalling a program and it brought up a list and RM was on that list, the program done it's magic and uninstalled it. I then downloaded this https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/gpu-601 and ran it. It puts you into safe mode and cleans old AMD driver files out.......it doesn't mess with your chipset drivers or other essential parts. After I done this I still had the same issue but I knew the program was gone, as the OP said. So I went into the Windows 10 power settings (right click start - power options - additional power settings (right side panel). Choose the balance setting option and then "change plan options" , then "change advanced power settings". A window will pop up, scroll down to "processor power management" and change the following-----

Minimum processor state - 5% (Ryzen Master had set this to 100%!!!!)
    System cooling policy - passive (Ryzen Master had set this to active)
    Maximum processor state - 100%

Click apply at the bottom right of the window and You're welcome :)

I am back to normal now.

I really hope this helps others because we ain't the only ones who got bit.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019