RX Vega Owners Thread, Tests, Mods, BIOS & Tweaks !

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by OnnA, Aug 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Battlefield V is a beatifull game and the graphics are amazing.
    The combination of semi-destructible environments, terrain deformation, and lighting effects along with plenty of skill on the part of the level designers and artists results in a visually impressive game.
    BF V includes a decent number of settings to tweak, in addition to the presets.
    I will provide you with every single graphics comparison and benchmark you can imagin. I will benchmark everything I can think of.
    And in the end, If I forget something, just mention it in this topic and I will bench it for you.

Tests & Comparisons here:

-> https://forums.battlefield.com/en-u...rmance-guide-under-construction-daily-updates

https://s31.**********/s5zc20k17/image.png

2. Ricardo Best

Ricardo Best Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro Vega

I totally agree with what you are saying. I got a Vega 64 (Sapphire Nitro) AIB card for my birthday. I loved the performance (coming from RX580 Xfire) so much I decided to get another as I have always been a fan of crossfire. The one I got was the Gigabyte Vega 64 Gaming OC card. It worked flawlessly until the weather started to really warm up. After that I saw so many blue screens and abrupt shutdowns that I became dismayed. I decided not to return or RMA the card(s) so I took the shroud off the Gigabyte card only to find that I could clearly see the GPU and HBM. I am probably going to see if the same problem exists for my Sapphire card too as I was playing AOTS and the GIgabyte card went no higher than 65 for the GPU and HBM but the Sapphire card was 80 for the GPU and 85 for the HBM.

I put some Noctua thermal paste on there and have been going good ever since. The other important thing that I did was reorient my fans above the GPUs. I have 2 Arctic 140MM hooked up to my Sapphire card. I used to have them pull but I have found that having the fans push the air towards the GPUS that my cards are now warm to the touch instead of being super hot.

OnnA likes this.
  3. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    So, Happy BirthDay for You :D:cool::):rolleyes::D

C:\Users\*UserName*\AppData\Local\AMD\CN
    file: gmdb.blb

Open in Notepad++, then Edit Settings for any game, this is fastest way to Edit lots of games at once.

Also you can try to Install (As i did) AMD-Catalyst-15.11.1Beta-Nov14 (Only tick the CCC)
    You can have Gamma Shortcut on Taskbar (not only that ;))
    but also as CF user you can find some good old tweaks for Compatibility/Usability for Crossfire.

Or you can try to thinker with Our RadeonMOD :D
    It have some CF options AFAIR.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
  4. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV

5. Slinkyminx

Slinkyminx Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060
    Oh gosh... Well, it's been a LONG time since I tried an AMD card, I have never been a fan of Nvidia but it was hard to get away from them with regards to.... well basically everything. I am pleased to be the proud owner of a Powercolor RX Vega 64 Red Devil ! (Wanted the Strix but too expensive)

I had a scan over the last couple of pages of this thread and oh man, I see a lot of complex looking stuff :p Is there anything basic, and obvious I should know to start?? My last several cards have been 980 Ti, 1080, 1080Ti, of various brands (I like to play.... :p ) So all this Wattman/undervolting/freesync ETC stuff is, scary....

I have a very basic freesync monitor, 48-72 in ultimate. Currently cap FPS using Rivatuner at 71, tested in Doom and CSGO (CSGO not a great test but still it's working, I think)

As for some of the other things I GLANCED over in the previosu pages, well, I don't know were to start is what I am saying ;o;

Any quick tips or advice for a basically brand new AMD user, MUCH appreciated!!!

Cheers !

OnnA likes this.
  6. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    :D Ok, lets us rock tha' Radeon''Rockus ;)

First set your FPS to Freesync (sync them) or Give as Minimum and Utilise Enchanced Sync (Always use Enchanced and no V-Sync in Games for Lag free Gaming)
    UV of course, because ATI have nasty Habit with giving way too much V (Try what's best, no need to sacrifice FPS)
    Im Easy at 1.081 and 1.094 for worloads up to 1749Mhz (so my default from ATI is 1.250mV :oops: yup some sick number)
    Then Play games, like always.
    Use 4:4:4 Full RGB Profile for max 32Bit Colors.
    Always use OverdriveN Tool (and make sure you have Custom profile in WattMan)
    Also do not DDU, always make sure to check first Upgrade (install the click update, no need to un-install, you'll preserve Options)

Here Adrenalin options for you:
    [​IMG]

Then make Tweak.Reg file and edit it with Notepad (paste this & merge)

===
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0000]

"GI_NA"="0"
    "AAF_NA"="0"
    "AreaAniso_NA"="0"
    "Denoise_NA"="0"
    "Detail_NA"="0"
    "SplitScreen_NA"="0"
    "StaticGamma_NA"="0"
    "Gamma_NA"="0"
    "EQAA_NA"="0"
    "MLF_NA"="0"
    "EnableUlps_NA"="0"
    "SurfaceFormatReplacements_NA"="0"
    "TFQ_NA"="0"
    "AntiAlias_NA"="0"
    "TextureLod_NA"="0"
    "TestOnceRequest_NA"="0"
    "AutoTuneRequest_NA"="0"
    "CameraShakeMotionDetect_NA"="0"

"MosquitoNoiseRemoval_NA"="0"
    "Deblocking_NA"="0"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0000\UMD]

"Main3D_DEF"="3"
    "Main3D"=hex:33,00,00,00

"ShaderCache"=hex:31,00
    "AdaptiveAAMethod"=hex:30,00
    "HighQualityAF"=hex:31,00

Dekaohtoura and Slinkyminx like this.
  7. Slinkyminx

Slinkyminx Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060

Thank you so much for taking the time to do this, honestly it's very appreciated, I am just off training now, but will get right on this as soon as I am back !

OnnA likes this.
  8. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/8weeln/you_can_undervolt_vegas_in_linux_now/

Looks like the latest closed-source AMD drivers on Linux now allows for Vega overclocking and undervolting for anyone running this system and are using these drivers though it seems the new kernel will also allow the same for the open AMD drivers once that's released. :)

Similar functionality to Wattman from the looks of it but the execution differs a bit and all eight clock states are modifiable unlike with Wattman on Windows where by default only the last two are open. (Which I just call low and high 3D clock speeds but it's probably not entirely correct.)

Also works for setting voltage and other parameters including fan speeds which I don't know but I guess it works similar to Windows where the fan mostly kicks in during 3d workloads and memory voltage is not strictly the hard-coded HBM2 value but related to floor voltage or something that at least affects minimum voltage value. (And possibly has a slight impact on performance.)

EDIT: And AMD submitted a few more patches for the 4.19 kernel.
    https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=AMDGPU-Linux-4.19-DRM

(From: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/8wfklx/more_amdgpu_drm_updates_sent_in_for_the_linux_419/ )

OnnA likes this.
  9. Slinkyminx

Slinkyminx Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060
    Hmmmm I don't know what I am doing wrong but I have tried and tried to get an undervolt to work but nothing happens.

https://imgur.com/a/yLdmnxK

10. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    It's set to max isn't it? clicking on it until it removes the green text might help. (Min, Max, Average and then nothing.)
    I believe downsampling can also affect voltage if you use a higher setting though I have to test that more, could be a VSR specific issue as well since resolution scaling in Far Cry 5 so far hasn't shown any issues like that.

EDIT: Although if it went up to near 1.2v as the max value after setting the new value that would be a problem and nothing to do with GPU Z's settings.

11. Slinkyminx

Slinkyminx Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060
    Yes it did, I set it to show the max so when I came out of game I could see how high the voltage had gone... again here.

[​IMG]

That was after running heaven with no fps cap.

Also GPU core clock seems so erratic... and I never see anywhere near 1630 even at 99% GPU usage

12. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Yeah the GPU core clock speeds at least always seem to hover between p6 and p7 I even downclocked it to 1400 and 1450 respectively and it'd still keep between the two and the same holds if you push it to 1600+ so it's just something the GPU is doing regardless of other limits and throttles which I haven't quite managed to figure out what it's doing.

No thermal limitation, no voltage limitation, GPU load is near 100% almost always so it's like it's trying to keep this intentionally and avoiding the full clock state for prolonged periods of times instead staying between that and the previous power state.
    Vega 64 and the water cooled model especially seem to push closer to the max speeds but even these have this particular behavior where it's almost better to leave a higher p6 and p7 clock state and then lower voltage for as far as it's stable and then the GPU can regulate the rest.

Which is what it's trying to do by altering and adjusting speeds to the voltage supplied balanced by how hot the GPU, HBM and the hot-spot gets.
    At best it works and clock speeds are throttled down to stable limits but at worst or if it suddenly switches states it might be too low voltage for stable operations and a GPU crash occurs with the drivers.
    (So having a bit extra voltage might be useful but the GPU's should still downvolt nicely.)

EDIT:
    Hmm, wonder if it's stuck somehow or if it's another issue somewhere.

Full 1.2v or close to it would indicate it's pushing the p6 to p7 power states so it's not the lower ones from say watching hardware accelerated video.

13. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Also since it's a benchmark I wonder if AMD might have overriden a few things in it's profiles regardless of the users settings, far as I know that should primarily be for Furmark though and keeping the GPU down a bit just for how extreme this test is.

EDIT: WIN+CTRL+SHIFT+B could work to restart the graphics stack as well and maybe kick the new clock speeds into gear though a reboot should do much the same and Wattman and by extension OverdriveN using AMD's API should be able to switch on the fly so this shouldn't be required.

Click refresh, set the GPU, click reset to retrieve the values for said GPU and then set the new values and apply those and that should be all AFAIK.
    (Perhaps saving a profile of these after testing and confirming stability.)

14. Slinkyminx

Slinkyminx Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060
    Thank you I really appreciate this.

It behaves the same in Battlefront 2, I upped the res scale a bit purely for testing purposes and it does the same.

Temps are always very good, which I would expect considering it's a 2.5 slot and still sounds like a hoover :p

Seems I just can't get my undervolt to work, honestly not sure why I have tried resetting wattman both in the game I am trying and globally, and using custom as OnnA advised.

I also applied his registry tweak, not that I have a clue what it does :p

I even run OverdriveNTool as admin just to be sure

No idea - I am probably missing something simple

15. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Edited the post a bit with a command for restarting the GPU driver but I don't think that's needed.
    Hmm the only thing I can think of then would be to open Wattman once and confirm the warning if that hasn't been done just to activate this functionality.

EDIT: And ensuring the GPU is switched from balanced or high performance to the custom state come to think of it, you can still regulate a few settings without that though but not everything.
    I forgot about that particular thing for Vega having different modes here, unless OverdriveN can manage to override these or sets it to custom on it's own.

After that it shouldn't be necessary anymore to use Wattman for anything.

EDIT: So if OverdriveN isn't doing this already then that's just to enable the Overdrive API for overclocking and then setting the GPU to allow for fully custom settings or at least mostly custom since Vega is slightly locked in Wattman for the lower power states. That's what that accomplishes.

If it hasn't been done already, clean driver installs would also wipe this preference as I believe it's registry stored and not part of some external config file. :)
    (Catalyst Next makes use of a bit of both for different parts of the control panel.)

16. Slinkyminx

Slinkyminx Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060
    Thank you I really appreciate that, I think I have got it working, sort of... very weird clock speeds... (for the record they're all default I have only tried to drop the voltage)

If I take off the FPS cap in BF2 so the GPU is at 99% the clock is around 1250 :/ might try a whole fresh driver install and start from scratch tomorrow, just to see if that helps

17. Dekaohtoura

Dekaohtoura Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6700XT SWFT
    Quick question:

GPU scaling? On or Off?

1440p here.

18. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    I have OFF + Full Panel, no Virtual 4k

Dekaohtoura likes this.
  19. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    For Heavy games like: DeusEx MkD
    Do not change other Values e.g. Max GPU Freq. MHz etc.
    Only P0-P7 Table
    Also do not change much from Default in P4/P5

Was:
    P4 = 1050
    P5 = 1100

[​IMG]

20. Slinkyminx

Slinkyminx Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060
    Just wondering what everyone else is using to check there undervolt has taken?

I am using GPU-Z sensor TAB - dunno if that's appropriate.

Cheers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.