RTSS randomly closing after Windows 10 update -- have tried clearing cache and full reinstall

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by BlindBison, Jul 29, 2021.

1. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Hi there all,

I'm sorry in advance if this has already been covered somewhere and I missed it, but recently RTSS has started randomly closing (crashing?). This did not used to occur until recently as I use these apps all the time. I am on the very latest official build of Windows 10 with the latest Nvidia GPU drivers and the latest Ryzen Chipset Drivers as well so perhaps something in there borked it?

For context, the way it goes is I'll start up a game (what game doesn't matter, this occurs regardless of which game). After sometime RTSS will crash/close and I have to go manually reopen it. This also happen regardless of whether or not RTSS is limiting framerate or just observing.

To resolve this, I first tried clearly the cache as another Guru3D thread mentioned that as a work around for something that sounded similar. That didn't fix it. Next I tried updating to the latest RTSS beta, but alas that also did not resolve the issue.

Any ideas what it could be? At first I thought it might be HWiNFO64 causing the issue, but even with that closed or fully uninstalled RTSS still is closing seemingly at random. Thanks for your help and time, apologies if I've missed an obvious solution in my Googling round. At this point I'm considering clean installing the whole PC if I can't figure out what's gone wrong since RTSS is a core tool for me, but figured I'd ask here first if anyone had run into something like this before (or if it's something known that's in the works to be fixed that sorta thing). Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
  2. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    @RealNC I'm sorry to trouble you, but have you encountered anything like this before? Apologies if there's an obvious reason that i've missed. Thanks,

3. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    RTSS works fine for me with latest 21H1 build.

Check Event Viewer to see if there are any errors related to RTSS closing.
    Btw if you still have HWInfo + RTSS auto-starting with Task Scheduler, check the tasks to make sure they're still as they should be and that you have run at startup disabled within the programs to avoid duplicate tasks.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
    BlindBison likes this.
  4. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    No idea, sorry. I don't have any issue like this, but I'm not on the latest W10 build. I'm on 20H2.

BlindBison likes this.

5. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Thanks, I found the event viewer, but it's a bit inscrutable to my eye. Will Google around after work for how to find anything related to RTSS in there after work.

Yeah, I've got the autostart functions disabled within the apps and my tasks to auto start them in order are setup correctly as far as I can tell (they start up correctly as expected, it's just RTSS will randomly close, especially once I launch a game seems like). If RTSS is itself closed and HWiNFO64 is open then HWiNFO64 never crashes/closes so it definitely seems to be RTSS which is closing for whatever reason.

When I did the uninstall + reinstall of RTSS, I did notice that it seemed to "remember" certain things like what folder I had most recently added an .exe from even though I selected the option to remove all when I'd uninstalled.

This does seem like a super weird issue to me, have never run into something like this before with RTSS. If I can't work it out, it might be time for me to just clean install windows and nuke the thing from orbit since the tool is very important to my usage. Other than RTSS I have not noticed any other apps randomly closing in this way (I have some other applications like Razer Synapse / Logitech GHub running for my mosue/headset for example -- again though these have always been there and its not until recently that this issue began to manifest).

Thanks for your time, sorry for the trouble.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
  6. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    No worries, thanks anyhow!

7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
  8. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Thanks, that's helpful. I don't use an ASUS PC/parts or that software though, will this still matter? In any case I'll give it a go after work.

Going off the comments there this sort of behavior was caused by a Windows security update (KB4601319 in their case). Is there a way to disable windows security from flagging RTSS or could I uninstall specific security updates perhaps?

9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    if you don't have it, then its a completely different and new issue, the issue gpu tweak caused was affecting anything that opened on the system (after about 5s)

These are shell cached.

could be some sort of anti-injection routine by the game.

BlindBison likes this.
  10. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Thanks, that's helpful to know. As for the anti-injection routine by the game, the same games I've been using RTSS in for ages are having the same problem. As far as I can tell this occurs regardless of what game it is, but I'll give "Stealth mode" a shot from within the RTSS settings and see if that helps.

My best "guess" is maybe something changed on the Windows 10 side (perhaps a security update that doesn't like RTSS for some reason?), but I really have no clue. I might try rolling back my windows 10 install and if that fails i'll probably clean install the system. Or, I could wait for another RTSS beta/stable release first and check if that fixes it.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021

11. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

There won’t be new betas “fixing” that from my side.

BlindBison likes this.
  12. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    No worries, thanks for the reply. That's helpful to know in narrowing down what could be causing it to close.

13. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Just an update, clean Windows 10 install + added RTSS to the Windows security exclusion list and the behavior of RTSS randomly closing isn't happening anymore. I didn't find anything in the Event Viewer related to RTSS so no clue why it was doing what it was. Drove me so crazy I just did a full wipe + clean reinstall of Windows 10 and now the latest Beta works fine for me. Thanks for all your help and time,

AsiJu likes this.