Routers

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by max2, Sep 14, 2020.

1. max2

max2 Member Guru

What is the best router brand ?

2. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    depend on who you ask, Im partial to Asus

3. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Brand doesn't both me as long as it's fully supported by OpenWRT/LEDE.

4. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    What's the best car brand? Or the best beer brand?
    Now, every brand can offer something "good enough" for a specific customer and best router brand is a very large margin answer.
    Look, we are here to answer your question, but for some who deal with networking stuff, your question has multiple answers. Will try to respond but without sounding "smart a$$". Understand that we always strive to give the best helpful answer.

What do you need? What problems you need to solve?
    A home router with good LAN and WiFi speeds?
    Answer can be found quickly.
    Do you need anything above a home router, do you need features covering specific tasks?

What is your budget? Do you have already a router or what type of connection do you have FTTH, FTTP, ADSL, shared.

A good router can be a off the shelf appliance like TP Link, Fritzbox, Asus, Linksys, Netgear..or a router that can support open firmware like DD-WRT, OpenWRT, and also devices made to run a enterprise level OSs like pfSense, OPNsense, Microtik, Untangle, Fortinet and Ubiquity.

In most scenarios, in SOHO the ISP deployes an modem and a router, or an ONT and a router or in the best case a router who is 3 in 1 device: ONT, Router/switch and Acces Point.
    Most routers and underpowered and struggle to do the basics...that why they're offered for free to the customer.
    For your knowledge and presented in a very simple and clear, concise way.

Not promoting pfSense, but this is the best explanation for understanding home routers bar none.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
    386SX likes this.

5. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    Best brand = Self Made (TM)

Flexible costs and performance, just as you need it. ;)

anticupidon likes this.
  6. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Yes, self made is the best rewarding route - pun intended.
    Also, nowadays one is spoiled for choice regarding OSs needed for a router.
    • DD-WRT,
    • OpenWRT,
    • pfSense
    • OPNsense
    • Microtik OS
    • Untangle
    • Sophos XG Firewall
    • Zentyal

The list goes on.
    Hardware wise, strive for the most open platform and most important, best power consumption efficiency. Build your own router. Why?

Think about it.

We, here in our community, strive to build the best computer using the best parts, a balanced build who will cover the tasks needed (gaming, editing, etc.) and then we loathe off-the-shelf computers, premade with underpowered choice of components, sold at a steep price.
    Understand that now one can build also a router in the same way, choosing all the parts for the best intended result.
    Off the shelf computer = normal router vs. DIY computer = DIY router.

Typical scenario: a small business is going bananas because their router is acting up and their communication is poor and unstable.

Solution:
    ONT : Ubiquity Fiber Loco
    Router/Firewall : OPNsense
    Acces Point : Ubiquity Nano HD UAC
    Costs more? Depends.Yes and no.
    No, because the downtime and lost communication cost money. In the long run, this setup will provide solid connection and security. Yes, because it cost more that your average router.
    In a home, without too much hassle a Fritzbox router with included ONT could be a viable solution.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
    386SX likes this.
  7. PapaHomey

PapaHomey Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980 TI
    I think everyone has their favorite, I'm partial to ASUS using the Merlin firmware though.

8. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    self made with open sense or pfsense is usually good, i use a udm pro, which is slowly becoming decent as the firmware is improved.

386SX likes this.
  9. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Asus make some good linux based routers.

10. iNerd

iNerd Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ti
    i use cisco switches and cisco access points and have two juniper firewalls running behind my isp modem. i set this up once years ago (really yeaaaars ago) never touched it again