Revised AMD Wraith Prism RGB CPU cooler surfaces, has 6 opposed to 4 heatpipes.

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    I would have preferred if they simply stopped shipping coolers with CPUs. My Ryzen 2600 stock cooler fan makes a noise I'm not used with (I had a scythe with a 92mm fan that was noiseless). Let us chose what we want.

3. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Probably necessary honestly.. I was having a problem with my computer randomly shutting off (turned out to be a wire short that took me months to find) but part of me figuring out wtf was happening was pulling my computer from my case and running it with the stock wraith cooler. I was constantly hitting like 86-90c with essentially an open test bed in a ~22c room. Was louder than I'd imagine it to be as well.

Silva likes this.
  4. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    For me these coolers are always handy as back-ups. Especially if you own an AIO, it can happen that it breaks down and unless you want to be "stranded" for 2-3 weeks until the RMA goes through, you'll end up buying some cheap air cooler anyway.

Embra and sverek like this.

5. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070

I'm using the wraith prism on my 3700X and I can't really complain about the noise unless I'm doing an AVX stress test.

anticupidon likes this.
  6. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    the new one seem have 6 but more thin?
    maybe it is for that they have the same revision 6 thin or 4 thick that have the same heat dissipation.

7. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    The point of the embedded cooler is that many DIY first timers could buy a wrong cooler.
    Completely theyr fault, ok, but an headache for sellers/company/bad advertisement.

Most of us can buy the right cooler, but someone would overshoot, buying an expensive cooler maybe, getting a different impression on the price/performance ratio.

There are a lot of reasons why i think company should provide a tailor made right cooler in retail cpu, or go with the tray version if you can access it.

I remember in the old time of the first p3 on the socket, after the slot one, tray cpus were fairly common and coolers also fairly simple. Still many were not good enough.

8. NCC1701D

NCC1701D Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    I guess I'm on the other end of the fence, but I like that they include such a nice stock cooler with the proc. A little more cooling potential with a new heat pipe design is even better. The fact that it's snap in is also pretty appealing. Makes for a nice quick build. I would never use the Intel junk coolers, but the wraith variants are pretty decent. I always used hyper 212's on my other builds, so this is pretty similar and a lot easier to install.

Embra likes this.
  9. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    The cooler is adequate, but the fan produces a noise working, I can't describe it as I never heard something similar. A 120 fan can push much more air at low RPM and would be a much better option imo.

10. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Is it audible when playing a game?

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    That doesn't really justify doing away with "stock" coolers. Everyone has the option to purchase a cooler from a 3rd party if the noise bothers them.

From the pictures, there doesn't appear to be much difference in heatpipe size. Maybe 1mm difference.....

12. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    it is but it’s not obnoxious

KissSh0t likes this.
  13. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    There no much people who mess with coolers. Most people are happy with stock coolers that come with it. Built 2200g system for a family and having cooler coming with CPU helps a lot.

You won't safe much money by removing cooler, and separating CPU with coolers and not, will add costs. You want better cooler, buy it for yourself.

14. Ridiric

Ridiric Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti @2100Mhz
    I love that AMD include decent coolers with all their Ryzen CPU's. As a system builder it just makes them that much more price competitive and easy to work with, 99% of the people i deal with don't want to overclock and for stock settings even the stock cooler for the 3600X (has no heatpipes) keeps it under 90c under full CPU stress/burn test in a 30c room (my standard testing for every system i build), for gaming stress tests its normally bellow 70c.

Of course if my customer wants premium cooling or wants to overclock ill replace it with something better, but being able to have the option to save both myself and my customer some cash is always a good thing.

Embra, tunejunky and Solfaur like this.
  15. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    Adequate coolers are nice to be bundled would be nice to see both tray and box versions so who ever wants can save about 10 bucks from something they do not need.i think the vast majority sticks with stock coolers even when they are criminally inadequate.

Silva likes this.

16. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    1mm is a huge difference in the lengh of a heatpipe...
    but as picture are not precise, we don't know :)

17. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    This was discussed to death for so many times.
    Stock coolers have a purpose. Yeah, they aren't for everyone, but you get the job done.
    Want better, buy better.
    It would be nice to be able to buy tray CPUs for enthusiastic guru. But not limited to a minimum of tens or hundreds of units.
    We sold AMD tray CPUs back in 2008-2010 if my memory still serves.

18. Kevin cobley

Kevin cobley Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 3070
    It's noisy, a nightmare to install or remove
    Dumbass idea to sell coolers with CPU's.
    I would prefer a lower priced CPU.
    When you get your ryzen throw the wraith in the bin buy a corsair water cooler for $90.

19. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    I put the cooler I got with my 3900x on my 2600x which seemed like the best use of said cooler. And it's dead silent too.

20. Shakey_Jake33

Shakey_Jake33 Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 4070
    I was able to overclock my current CPU to 4GHz 1.33v perfectly fine with Stealth cooler, which isn't anywhere near as good as the Wraith cooler. I only bought another cooler because I got a really good price.

For light overclocking, AMD's stock coolers aren't too bad.