Review: Fractal Design Define S2 chassis

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Today we test the new Fractal Design Define S2, a mid-tower PC chassis, and the successor to the Define S, which we reviewed over three years ago (yes, time is passing by quickly). Read the full rev...

Review: Fractal Design Define S2 chassis

2. ubercake

ubercake Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC Blk
    I thought it looked familiar. Same dimensions as the Define R6. Same front panel connectors as the Define R6. Same pop-off top as the Define R6.

Looks like the Define R6 with a permanent optional "open" configuration setup (see Define R6 manual for details).

Differences on the S2 that are noticeable:
    1) Less HDD cages overall.
    2) 3 HDD mountable drive cages on the back side of the tray can be used with HDDs or SSDs. I could only get one of those mounted on my Define R6 and it only mounts in a vertical orientation.

The HDD/SSD mount availability with the on the S2 is definitely a refinement over the R6, if you use the "open" configuration of the R6. If you need more HDD drive mounts, the R6 is still king.

One thing Fractal can still improve upon:
    Include more SSD trays. In addition to the SSD drive tray mount points on the backside of the motherboard tray, there are two more SSD mount points above the power supply in the main section of the case (just like the Define R6!). Whether you get the S2 or the R6, you only get two SSD drive trays and Fractal doesn't sell these separately if you want more of them (I waited one month for this answer from the Fractal sales team).

Why not throw in two more SSD trays, Fractal??? What if you're the type of person that wants their RGB SSDs showing up front with your main components?
    You have arguably the best cases available. Just include two more SSD drive trays! Geez!

3. mrrulez911

mrrulez911 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX4080
    [​IMG] I'm sorry, but the first thing I thought when I saw this case. Wow, and it does look a bit like my old Antec P150 case.

4. ubercake

ubercake Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC Blk
    You make an excellent point!... That is if you consider only the slots for fan intake at the front of the S2 and ignore every aspect of the case beside that.

5. Captain_Hook

Captain_Hook Member Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 Ti AIO
    @ubercake - Good point, it looks very similar. I didn't have the chance to test the R6 (and it was review @ guru3d before I arrived).

@mrrulez911 - still better than a quite many cases today, that have tempered glass panel everywhere, including the front ;) .

6. Dimitrios1983

Dimitrios1983 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX580
    I usually don't care or comment on stories like this but that's a nice case! I may pick this up since I'm getting tired of using the same old tower for my last 2-3 builds. I'm using the case of a COMPAQ Presario SR1220 NX.

7. Killian38

Killian38 Guest

GPU:
    Clean looking case. I want something new tho. Not crazy wild "new". Just a new cool idea. Looks like my other cases.

8. Captain_Hook

Captain_Hook Member Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 Ti AIO
    @Dimitrios1983 - yep, it's looking fine, especially I like the clear window panel in this white version.

@Killian38 - maybe try something from Thermaltake. They're not always copycats ;)

9. msotirov

msotirov Guest

GPU:
    rx 480
    Man, all the wasted empty space... ITX cases have spoiled me in the last couple of years.

10. Captain_Hook

Captain_Hook Member Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 Ti AIO
    @msotirov - you can mount a lot of liquid cooling here and wouldn't look so empty. For test rig there should be more universal components used. It's already a 280 mm rad (usually 240 mm are used) and 120 mm rad for GPU. Not a standard in other website reviews.

11. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    That is first thing I thought when I saw this it look like the R6 in my case R5, I like that psu sections is closed off