Review: ASUS RT-AX88U Dual band AX6000 router

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    We review ASUS RT-AX88U, this premium WIFI-6 router is compatible with the new AX standard whilst retaining it's compatibility with AC and lower bands as well. The AX88U seems to be a bit of a beast ...

Review: ASUS RT-AX88U Dual band AX6000 router

2. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Comparing this with the ASUS AC5300 or the Netgear XR500 makes this router seem somewhat lackluster when it comes to range, Within 5 meters it holds out strong but especially the 5ghz soon as you go to a different floor that strength drops massively compared to the other two. Also does this not have the muti-band? like the others, that often seems to be a nice feature that helps

3. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    Have this router and it is the bees knees and everything in between!!

I can not complain at all with this router. After the upgraded 1Gb interweb this thing screams! And no range issues here as mines located on the ceiling of my basement (under the floor) in the middle of my house and the only thing that doesn't have full signal is my sorry arse Vizio in the basement home theater. Got all the important things wired in of course.

Only true complaint is that i wish it supported 10Gb onboard as opposed to 1Gb. Then again i don't have anything to take advantage of that yet, so alls good until the next upgrade for the puter and router in a couple more years.

Great review as always Hilbert!!

4. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    1 Gbps internet? I hate you :p

Undying and DeskStar like this.

5. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    Funny is that your uploads are right there with mine. That is what i wish they'd allow like google.....1Gb up and down.... Would surely make things much faster in the realm of uploading...

6. Halulam

Halulam Member

GPU:
    Geforce GTX1060 6GB
    We still have 2 mbps here for mainstream. :rolleyes:

7. yeeeeman

yeeeeman Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce 9600GT 512MB
    Can you get hold of a Galaxy s10 and check how the ax connection works?

8. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Yikes, well at least you can load up your favorite website daily :)

Halulam likes this.
  9. xrodney

xrodney Master Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 7900 XTX
    For that price Ubiquiti Router/gateway with NanoHD AP is better, cheaper and more reliable option.
    It does not support AX yet, but that's more or less gimmick until it get widely available.

10. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    No, I also categorically refuse to spend that much money on _any_ smartphone.

DeskStar likes this.

11. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    They said the same about AC in the beginning. With things like WIFI I think it's better to invest (but only if you are due for a new one) for the long run, as such routers will last you many many years. Of course in two years AX will be mainstream and more affordable, so that's a valid argument to think about as well.

Denial likes this.
  12. Arbie

Arbie Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    I have always bought Netgear routers as they seemed pretty good compared to other consumer choices. But next time I'm going to go for a Peplink; probably their $200 "Pepwave Surf" SOHO model. I never even heard of this company until reading more about these things in:

https://routersecurity.org/

Anyone shopping should at least consider what's available in the industrial market. They apparently take reliability, updates and security much more seriously.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
  13. xrodney

xrodney Master Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 7900 XTX
    Sure I agree, but I can simply replace AP in two years to get AX support when needed and still resell older AP for about 70% cost.

Problem i have with all Netgear, Asus, Linksys etc is reliability, performance and functionality.
    Over past 8 years or so I used or tested multiple brands and models and so far most performance, functions with easy config and highest reliability is on Ubiquiti side.

BTW I tested (LOCAL) speed on Unifi NanoHD and got over 600mbit/s for one client regardless of range (1m up to 20m over 2 walls) using 80MHz non DFS channels.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
  14. Lebon30

Lebon30 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070Ti 8GB
    Only Gigabit ports for that price? DISAPPOINTED!
    Could have been 2.5gbit or 10Gbit... You know, you gotta be ahead of the curve.

15. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    Sure does support it.... Unless the specs i read when i bought it and still read now are wrong... "It is in the actual title of the product..."

https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RT-AX88U/specifications/

16. Moofachuka

Moofachuka Member

GPU:
    12GB
    saw a youtube video where they tested AX88U router with Galaxy S10. AC was much faster in real world than AX.

17. Yakk

Yakk Guest

GPU:
    Graphics card
    Looks like an ok first step, not great though. Yes you get AX, but only with dual band, good quad core CPU, but no assisting co-processors, 8x ports, but only at 1gbit.

It all seems like a wierd combination of compromises you wouldn't expect at this kind of premium price point.

18. xrodney

xrodney Master Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 7900 XTX
    Was talking about Ubiquiti.

Asus might looks ok on paper but as others mentioned in real world AC performance seems better plus there is a lot of reports about Stability issues and disconnects for existing clients.

19. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    I gotcha....kinda figured that out after the posting.

I can say the only things to have issues were android based systems like cell phone and or my kids tablets. After an update to the router i personally have never had an issue. My MS phone would stay connected and galaxy s7-9's dropping connection like flies. Only them no iphones and or other pieces of equipment.

Router will suffice for what i need it for for the next four plus years. And then i will jump on 5G when optimally mainstream.

20. xrodney

xrodney Master Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 7900 XTX
    About that... well Android having issues would pretty much be move away for me as about 70% devices I use over Wifi is using android and extended family is pretty much 100% Android.

Main point here is Ubiquiti cost less, is pretty much entry level enterprise grade and have Zero connectivity issues and higher speeds. And its expandable if needed.