Remember Me

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by nanogenesis, Jun 5, 2013.

1. nanogenesis

nanogenesis Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X 1178|6350
    Couldn't see a thread relevant to it, so made it.

Path to Configuration files
    Documents\My Games\UnrealEngine3\RememberMeGame\Config
    It says example, and I literally thought it was an example, however it is very real. :facepalm:

A few helpful UE3 commands (By Jonas):

A Temporary hotfix to remove the annoying film grain (By Jonas):

Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
  2. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
  3. jim2point0

jim2point0 Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix 2080TI
    What would you want to even tweak? You generally can't make big differences with the config file.

It's in "\My games\unrealengine3\RememberMeGame\Config\ExampleGame.ini"

4. Johnny5srv

Johnny5srv Guest

GPU:
    nvidia SLI gtx670 2GB
    C:\Users\You\Documents\My Games\UnrealEngine3\RememberMeGame\Config

But close enough.

Game isn't bad but it sure could've used some polishing. That and I'm pretty tired of UE3 games in general. Those textures.....:bugeye:

5. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    I usually do the same UE3 tweaks to every game, as said in a previous post however the visual difference is usually not that great.
    bAllowMatureLanguage=True (I don't think this one really does anything.)

MaxProcBuildingLODColorTextureSize=2048
    MaxProcBuildingLODLightingTextureSize=1024 (Though even if defined to use bigger texture resolution I doubt many games ship with that so it's stuck at default anyways.)

MipFadeInSpeed0=0.01
    MipFadeOutSpeed0=0.01
    MipFadeInSpeed1=0.01
    MipFadeOutSpeed1=0.01 (I forgot what the exact values were for minimizing texture pop-in but these work for me.)

bShouldGenerateSimpleLightmaps=False (This probably only works for the editor as the levels are already built/baked.)

bSmoothFrameRate=False (Allows to disable the framerate limit the game uses but it does use it to avoid stuttering and such so it might be better to keep it enabled.)

AllowNvidiaStereo3d=False (I don't use it so I disable this but there's probably no need to do so.)

MinDesiredFrameRate=15.000000 (This if I remember correctly is a remnant from the early Unreal Engine days and doesn't really do much of anything now.)

AllowJoystickInput=0 (I don't use or even have a joystick/gamepad so I disable this but again there's likely no real reason to do so.)

MaxChannels=64 (Allow 64 - out of 128 or what this sound card supports - instead of 32 channels, likely there's not much of a difference in the game.)

MaxChannels=64 (For the other audio engine, unsure if this game uses XAudio2 - DirectX or OpenAL but since it doesn't have a oalinst.exe for those drivers it's probably XAudio2)

//DeviceName=Generic Hardware (Instead of generic software, as seen by the // comment however this is disabled in newer builds of the engine so I don't know why I'm still altering it.)

PoolSize=512 (there are other tweaks for the streaming system but specifying a higher cache - instead of the usual 140 - can help though UE3 now has the ability to detect and set it automatically if you don't use a override command line parameter but I think that so far only Bioshock Infinite uses this.)

bUseMaxQualityMode=False (This in theory should override all other system settings commands and force the game to use the best possible visual options but in reality every UE3 game other than BulletStorm - or what the name was, it was set to true by default there - has had issues with self shadowing and some other smaller glitches so it's best to not enable this.)

CompositeDynamicLights=False (Should improve dynamic light quality as if I understand correctly this is for performance when enabled and might have a small hit to visual quality though I assume that if it was to be compared it would be difficult to spot the difference, usually set to false anyways in many recent UE3 games but here it was set to true.)

OnlyStreamInTextures=True (Not quite sure what this actually does, varies from game to game but I enable it, might change the streaming system to only handle textures instead of other data but I can't say if it's a improvement or not.)

UseVsync=False (For this game the settings for this are under Options.sav in the Steam\User\SteamUserIDNUmberHere\GameAppIDNumerHere\ folder but I set it here too since I want it disabled.)

AllowD3D11=False
    AllowOpenGL=False (These two are often set or at least the D3D10/D3D11 are but the shader files and engine code is usually never available or causes bugs or direct crashes when toggled so there's no reason to enable this if it's not available in-game directly, for this game the shader files are not present and I doubt the game engine code has support for it either.)

SkeletalMeshLODBias=-1
    ParticleLODBias=-1 (Should force better LOD bias for skeletal - characters? - and particles but I am unsure what a good value is, 0 is normal and lower is forcing higher detail, in Bioshock Infinite the lowest is -1000 so I am unsure how this works but -1 works for me.)

MaxAnisotropy=16
    MaxMultiSamples=2
    bAllowD3D9MSAA=True (Allow higher AF - I force 16x anyways but might as well change it here too since the default is normally 4x and then change MSAA from 1x - disabled - to 2x and allow in-game MSAA to work but this normally does not work so there's really no reason to change those two options, UE3 normally needs DirectX10 or better for proper MSAA support, here it's using SSAA instead along with shader based FXAA or what it might be.)

bAllowTemporalAA=False (That shader based AA option, again it's set from options.sav but I changed it here as well, also has to be altered in ExampleGame.Ini as far as I know.)

MaxShadowResolution=2048 (Changing the minimum resolution usually causes glitches and missing shadows but you can specify a max resolution without too much trouble but I don't know where the game uses the full resolution, shadows normally look a bit low-res anyways.)

MaxWholeSceneDominantShadowResolution=1344 (Changing this seems to cause other glitches or self-shadowing artifacts so leave it at default.)

ResX=1920
    ResY=1200 (Default was 720P but once again it's handled via Options.sav so changing it here has no real effect but I did it anyways.)

bAllowHardwareShadowFiltering=False (This could probably be enabled but I keep it disabled since that's normally what it's set to by default, Gearbox uses True for this for Borderlands 2 and Aliens Colonial Marines so I guess it doesn't really matter how it's set.)

bEnableForegroundSelfShadowing=False (When enabled this usually causes weird self-shadowing artifacts on the character model and such, thought I should mention it.)

UpscaleScreenPercentage=True (Don't quite remember what this did, in early UE3 builds there was a percentage value that determined resolution used, 100 was normal and lower reduced actual screen resolution via sub-sampling.)

HighPrecisionGBuffers=True (Might as well enable, unsure if it's geometry buffers or what but I keep enabling it.)

TEXTUREGROUP* (These might be altered for higher resolutions or changing LOD bias to 0 for highest resolution textures but normally the game is already set to use the highest available so it matters little what it's set to, other than just LODBias which when set to 1 uses half resolution, 2 is quarter resolution and so on, negative values might work to sharpen but I've only seen it used in Bioshock Infinite at a -1 value, tried it on another game and it caused bugs, what it does is alter mip-map level if I remember correctly.)

StartupMovies= (Normally I remove the logo videos this way - blanking them out - but here only one video was specified so I had to replace the actual BIK files with a empty variant - from Tweakguides.com - to get them all removed.)

MeasuredCPUScore=100.000000
    CompatLevelComposite=5
    CompatLevelCPU=5
    CompatLevelGPU=5 (These are quality levels detected on first start, once you set the options yourself it has no real purpose and just detects the initial presets used on a scale from 1 - low quality - to 5 - highest quality - plus a scoring grade for CPU, unsure how high it can go but I keep it at 100 for no real reason.)

Then in ExampleInput.ini you can specify to execute Unreal Engine 3 script or console commands by custom key bindings, normally this is disabled but here it works, for now.

Example:
    [Engine.PlayerInput]
    Bindings=(Name="Home", Command="ToggleHUD")
    Bindings=(Name="End", Command="TiledShot 2")
    Bindings=(Name="Delete", Command="PlayersOnly")
    Bindings=(Name="PageUp", Command="Ghost")
    Bindings=(Name="PageDown", Command="Walk")

(bEnableMouseSmoothing=false can also be set but here it was already set as such so it didn't need to be altered.)

(TiledShot takes a screenshot at a resolution specified by that numerical value, 1 is screen resolution, 2 is double and so on, takes a while to process so don't use too high values, I don't use it myself but I gave a example - you can read more on it here. - https://udn.epicgames.com/Three/TakingScreenshots.html )

6. nanogenesis

nanogenesis Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X 1178|6350
    I thought the ExampleGame config files were just examples and not real ones :facepalm:

Anyway shadow tweak works for me (pretty much #1 in every UE3 game is to buff shadows).

So game looked fine to me, but the one thing thats bugging me to death is film grain. Sometimes you don't notice it, but when you do, it pains me to death.

Game is pretty good. I couldn't love Batman Arkham City's combat for some reason, but I do love this one, now just that one small issue bugging me.

@Jonas

Thanks for the commands!
    Never knew most of them, because in UE3 games I've only been playing with few commands till now, lol

So I thought that the grain is caused by post processing, and I applying the same fix that one would on Borderlands 2 to remove cellshading, but it didn't work :(

So far, it plays well, combat I liked, but again that one small issue...

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  7. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    I don't know if editing or removing the actual shader files work but you could try to move or rename the file NoiseShaders.bin file from \Remember Me\Engine\Shaders\Binaries :)
    (Moving it might work better but renaming it should be OK as well.)

8. IamGODobeyORdie

IamGODobeyORdie Guest

GPU:
    2x GTX 780@SLI & GTX 780M
    Oh so its released on PC as well? Hmm i thought it was a console only game? Good to know, how is the game if I may ask?

9. yosef019

yosef019 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 ti
    Game fun with alot of cutscenes graphics ok for carpcom
    Play with controler its mix of deusex prince of persia and assasin creed :D

10. K-putt

K-putt Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti
    Already tried it, and game crashes. It chrashes everytime if you alter some files.

We have to open the .bin file. But i don't know how.

11. ])rStrangelove

])rStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX780 SC ACX 3GB
    Reviews say it fails to impress. I'll let this one pass.

12. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Well at least removing the annoying 10 hours of commercials each time the game loads doesn't cause it to crash. But indeed I'd also like to know if removing that damn film grain is possible, I don't know why anyone ever thought it would be a good idea.

Edit: Documents\My Games\UnrealEngine3\RememberMeGame\Config\ExampleEngine.ini has a lot of options though a search for grain didn't show anything, at least now I can disable motion blur, assuming it works.

Why would they not allow disabling motion blur and grain in the game itself? Sigh, Capcom's gonna Capcom.

13. K-putt

K-putt Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti
    I just swaped the file with another .bin file (renamaming the tesslation.bin to NoiseShaders.bin) and it didn't work.
    Game loads just fine with grain filter. Looks like this filter sits somewhere else.

There are some Noise lines. But deleting those doesn't do anything aswell.

14. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Honestly I think it's made just to cover up how ass it looks on consoles.

While I was messing around with the file I set anisotropy to 16x, quadrupled the shadow resolution, enabled high quality, enabled mature language, enabled D3D11 (which I doubt will do anything)... I wonder if any of it will actually do anything.

15. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    http://www.fileplanet.com/205418/download/Texmod-v0.9b

http://www50.zippyshare.com/v/66310279/file.html

Start TexMod.exe (first URL) click the folder for target application and browse to RememberMe.exe

Click the little folder icon and browse to test.tpf

Click Run.

What I did (Easily seen in the \Out folder which is included with the original and modified file.) is to just change the noise to a single gray color, the effect is still there but it's not really visible.

Tried a white color first and it made the game too bright, similarly a black color would likely make it too dark thus I used a gray one.

This works in-game but I didn't remove the main-menu noise effect. :)

EDIT: And here's a version that also removes it from the main menu.
    http://www29.zippyshare.com/v/3355279/file.html

16. drewho

drewho Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090
    Not really enjoying it, way to much wall climbing and boring combat....feels like a chore.
    The environments are nice but its rigidly fixed on rails, it even shows you where to jump and hang on, a five year old could play it.
    Some of the facial animation is very impressive though.

17. N1GhTW4lK3R

N1GhTW4lK3R Master Guru

GPU:
    FE 4090 EK LC
    I'm looking for some setting that removes grain effect...but nothing until now :(

18. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    I didn't play much of blood dragon because of the un-changeable scanline filter, and the aliens cm grain filter was horrific too, i was looking forwards to this game i hope it offers something new at least. the in-game graphics options sound terrible.

19. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    This game sounds intriguing although the reviews I've seen so far have not been exactly outstanding. I'm a bit disappointed too to hear that is using Unreal Engine 3 as I personally find it to be an extremely dated engine in comparison to, say, Frostbite 2.0 or CryEngine 3.0. Games using it lack refined anti-aliasing, generally run under DX9 with texture streaming issues and/or stuttering and, even when they use DX11, they generally don't support tessellation or anything unique like that.

*EDIT*
    It got 4/10 on Videogamer... think I'll give this one a miss in case I buy another Aliens: Colonial Marines! One was bad enough!

20. nanogenesis

nanogenesis Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X 1178|6350
    Just had an epic moment with this game..

I had to use my brain.

To create combo(s) to suit the combat situation.

I most definitely don't regret my purchase, its just that film grain.