recommend me some NICE headphones

Discussion in 'Digital Photography, Home and Portable Electronics' started by GTFO, Jan 6, 2009.

1. GTFO

GTFO Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5770 1GB
    Hey, may someone recommend me some nice headphones for my mp3 player, using a Sony’s NWZA728B atm, but I am planning to get the new Cowon S9 soon. I want headphones with sound quality comparable to my Sennhesier HD555's with noise cancellation. Budget would be around $200CAD.

Please reply and Thanks in advance :)

edit: Looking at

Ultimate Ear Super.fi 5 Pro Black Earphones $250 after tax

Shure E2c $150 after tax

Shure SE110 $120 after tax

which 3 have the best sound quality? or best bang for the buck?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  2. Thug

Thug Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Out of the 3 you have listed i would say the Super.fi 5 will probably sound the best.
    I had/have the Shure E2c, and have owned them for about 3 years, so they have been out for atleast that length of time, so are old(ish) now. Newer ones are going to have improved sound quality.
    Lots of people complain about the lack of bass on some of the Shure (including the E2c), but if you insert them correctly, they are great.
    I have now got some Audio technica ATH-CKM70 earphones, and think that these are the best i have ever heard. They have crystal clear highs, great mids and deep clear bass. They are well within your budget at £80 ($150).
    They only came out in July 2008, so are new technology. They are made out of metal, and feel quality, and are very comfortable.
    I think that the Shures sealed a little better in my ear though.

[​IMG]

3. GTFO

GTFO Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5770 1GB
    where do they sell audio-technica? dont see any canadian retailers that have it. I am leaning towards the ultimate ear but I want to know how big of a difference is it compared to the E2C or SE110 or maybe the other ultimate ear models.

4. ottoyu34

ottoyu34 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX480 2-way SLI
    depends on the sound you like and the genres you play.

personally, I like to listen to stuff from trance to pop, rock to rap, RnB, etc.
    I like sound with detail, great soundstage and more importantly strong bass.

If your like me, I personally own Audio Technica ATH-CKM50. little brother to the one above.dynamic drivers with great bass while offering clarity in highs and details. more importantly great price point.

I also sound tested high-end phones like the se530, UE Tri.Fi and Senns. IE8.
    I also listened to my mate's SE310. But I dont prefer sound of shures.

Denon AH-C551 would be another great choice imo.
    or maybe Senns. C300 and head-direct RE0

At the end, your ears chooses.
    hope it helps

otto

5. Thug

Thug Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I bought Audio-Technica ATH-CKM70 from ebay, but i also have a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-A900 headphones, that i bought from http://www.audiocubes.com/
    This isnt what you want, but thought i would included a photo of it. I use them fro PC gaming and music in the house.
    [​IMG]
    http://www.audiocubes.com/category/...t/Audio-Technica_ATH-A900_Art_Headphones.html

These are a good online company, and delivered without any problems very quickly.

They also do the CKM70 earplugs i posted above...
    http://www.audiocubes.com/category/...o-Technica_ATH-CKM70_Inner_Ear_Earphones.html

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  6. ottoyu34

ottoyu34 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX480 2-way SLI
    PCthug: you do like A-T stuff a lot, dont you? heh

otto

7. Thug

Thug Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I had never heard of them before i bought my A900's.
    A friend of mine, who is an audio junky, bought them and said they were the best he has ever used.
    I had not read a bad review on them either, so decided to give them a try, and was also VERY impressed.
    So I thought that because they were so good, then i would try the earplugs too.
    I have not been dissapointed.

Most people are a little scared of trying new things, and want to follow the crowd like sheep and stick with brands they have heard of like Shure, UE, Skull Candy, Sony, etc. These are fine earplugs, but there are others out there too.

8. ottoyu34

ottoyu34 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX480 2-way SLI
    I was pretty much a audiophile for PC audio and Hi-Fi. I recently started looking into IEMs (in-ear) and Over ear phones. Since I uses In-ear almost 3 hours during commute trip.

I do like the sounds of A-T. It offers best value for a Dynamic IEM, while offering sound like a $200+ Multi-BA IEM.

Soon, I shall upgrade my A-T. Probably to a Senns. IE8. I sound tested it the other day in store.

Have you listened to any Shure's?

otto

9. Thug

Thug Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Sure (lol), I have. I still own the E2c's, that i bought about 3 years ago.
    They got fairly good reviews, but people thought they didnt have very good bass. However, i either got a really good set, or i these people didnt insert them correctly, because i thought mine sounded great.
    They were over ear type, and had a really good/thick cord that never tangled, and took some abuse. they also sealed really well too, using the med foam tips.
    I just fancied something a little better.

10. Kollunz

Kollunz Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 5870
    I'm seeing some Shure SCL3 for 59.99 and the SCL4 for 79.99 after instant rebates at some sites. prices are USD.

11. GTFO

GTFO Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5770 1GB
    anyone know the difference between Sennheiser HD555 and UE Super.fi pro 5?
    besides the fact that Senn is open ear and UE is IEM

Last edited: Jan 16, 2009