question about cuda video conversion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by ThechemistNL, Aug 27, 2012.

1. ThechemistNL

ThechemistNL Guest

GPU:
    nvidia geforce 8800GTX
    Hey, I've been wondering about this for some time now. I used to play quite a lot of pc games a couple of years ago and my 8800gtx handled most games like a charm.
    However, lately my pc is used more and more to edit and convert videos.

Using software with cuda accelleration did speed things up, but it's still frustrating to know that a 7:22 video takes over an hour to convert, regardless of which software I use.

I have been looking into getting a gtx 570 or maybe something better than that, but I really would like to know a couple of things so I can convince my girlfriend to agree with the upgrade or maybe some more upgrades :)

Would a more recent graphics cards improve conversion speed?
    Would upgrading my ram (4gb ddr3 1333mhz) to more capacity and higher clockspeed help much?
    Does sli boost cuda performance much?

2. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    it would speed up the convertion speed with CUDA, yes..
    But as i also do a lot of converting etc..i have to say, that converting with CUDA or GFX is far away from good quality..
    If u want good quality converstion etc, then stay with an good CPU (the more cores teh better).. There is a rather big diff between converting via CUda and via CPU..

Heres an nice littel comparsion and tips regards of CUDA speed and quality..
    Hope that helps u a bit..
    greetz BetA

edit:

what are u using for converting?
    i used and tryed a lot of those programms..but in the end it came down to only 2 or 3 tools that really are good..

1. Handbrake
    2. XMediaRecode
    3. MediaCoder and VidCoder

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  3. ThechemistNL

ThechemistNL Guest

GPU:
    nvidia geforce 8800GTX
    Actually as we need some effects provided by our editing software we've been using Magix Movie Edit Pro for about a year now. It doesn't only rely on the gpu ofcourse, but also on my cpu. We've tried several other high end editing programs but none got the result we wanted.
    I have tried Sony Vegas Pro 11 x64 but still figuring that program out...

4. Solid_State

Solid_State Guest

GPU:
    5870 VF3000A / GT430
    Your CPU supports triple channel memory.

You are not using triple channel with 4GB installed its impossible. Sets of three or six dims only.

This would seriously lower performance on your motherboard. Also with that motherboard 6GB is the minimum recommended amount of ram, you would figure this because 3GB is certainly not enough for your desired task.

Fix/upgrade your poorly configured memory and OC you CPU.

5. ThechemistNL

ThechemistNL Guest

GPU:
    nvidia geforce 8800GTX
    Hmm, I haven't really thought of that as being a major factor in the conversion speeds.
    I have been thinking of upgrading my RAM since when I built my computer I was using a 32 bit OS, so 4GB was the maximum. I'll definitely look into replacing my RAM, possibly with a higher speed.

As for OC'ing my cpu, I have OC'd it to 3,4GHz stable. With my Scythe Mugen 3 cooler, this was the maximum for stable OC'ing both my CPU and RAM.

Guess I have my christmas list laid out for me :)