Quake 4 impressions

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Rodman, Oct 18, 2005.

1. Drunken Shooter

Drunken Shooter Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2070 super FTW
    delete this

2. Drunken Shooter

Drunken Shooter Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2070 super FTW
    delete this

3. glock38

glock38 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon R9 285 2GB

Wow man, you really should have put a spoiler warning. I didnt no that would happen. Thanks a lot.

:(

4. painter

painter Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    WOW this is great, ignore the reviews, this is total fun. Yes on the surface it looks a bit D3, but it plays totally differant...constant action, none of the creepy slowly, waiting for the next shock.

Even on my system it looks and sounds fantastic...much better than FEAR, and even though the min spec is higher than D3, I'd say it runs better.

A must buy.

5. David16k

David16k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Geforce 7600GT XXX 256MB VIVO
    This is great! I thought this game was completely the same as Doom 3 when it comes to rendering, calculating, etc, but I was completely wrong.

Quake 4 requires SSE, Doom 3 doesn't.

Quake 4 gives me this nice message:
    CPU does not support the Intel Streaming SIMD Extensions (SSE)

I hope they're going to fix this in the next patch, because if they don't I won't be able to play the game until I've upgraded in a few months.

6. Samuri

Samuri Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670 FTW
    I too am only a few levels in this game, but I'm sure digging it so far. Non-stop action right out of the gate. Do I like this better than FEAR, not sure... I could only afford one game at a time and I chose this one, but I'm happy with my dicision. Two thumbs up here...

7. JeyNyce

JeyNyce Guest

GPU:
    PowerColor 6700XT

It's not really a spoiler, because in PC Gamer and other reviews they mention this.

8. meatfestival92

meatfestival92 Guest

GPU:
    Geforce 9800 GTX @ 815/2078/1180
    Nope, FEAR pisses all over Q4 in every way. The thing is, FEAR itself is a pretty unoriginal and derivative game, but it's still good fun and the presentation is impeccable. Quake 4 is just the same old tired sh*t. I haven't seen or done anything in the game so far that has made me think, "wow, cool". I also disagree that it's completely different from Doom 3. Apart from the vehicle sections, it looks, feels and plays almost exactly the same.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2005
  9. Major Melchett

Major Melchett Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 280X @ 1100/1500
    Well i finally got it and all i can say is HOLY FERKIN SNIT!!!! this game is totaly amazing.

It looks great, runs great and feels great, how the hell this got 70% i don't know (stupid reveiwers), i give this game a +90.

Is it as good as fear?, well i rate the SP's about the same , but in MP Q4 OWNS!!!.

10. FRAGEYE

FRAGEYE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800 GT 512MB
    True...got both Q4 and F.E.A.R. got to say i'm getting into Q4 aswell,i am a quake vet after all,but fear is a topend game aswell,like the bullit time and effects,very nice!
    But i'm thinking Q4 will be more favourable,with it's variety in the singleplayer,also love a bit of Qdeathmatch,loved Q3 for that,will be having many a hours fragging online with this and a bit of F.E.A.R. aswell,both are worthy your attention.
    The doom3 engine to me seems a lot more stable ingame than fear's,fear can fluctuate a bit.
    Also doom3 is meant to be dark,lol,thats the whole point,doom3 is a quality game remember that,it is meant to be a typical corridor style shooter,with that added atmosphere.
    Gonna have a singleplayer blast,then try a bit of fear/q4 online:)
    hope to see some of you there.

11. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Amazing game, best FPS I've played in a long time. Really glad I decided to bite the bullet and grab it. Any review that gives this game a score under 90% should be ignored in my opinion.

Not only is the game beautiful, but the action is so well paced, and the different vehicles are a joy. I loved that damn hover tank, so enjoyable to use. This game just screams 'fun' at you. I was hooked from starting the game up, the time just flew by without my realising I'd been at the computer for six hours straight.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2005
  12. Drunken Shooter

Drunken Shooter Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2070 super FTW
    I think this hgame feels a little like halo on crack, the action is just great and also to spoil a few things, the game has a few jump out and scare you ****less moments.

To me this game dosen't make me feel bored as I play, well played action.
    I think I will go and redo the game at a harder lvl.:thumbup: :thumbup:

13. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    lighting isnt accurate, some have no sources.
    some areas outside are pitchblack considering its daylight.
    too many linear corridoor doomlike levels for my preference, doesnt quite have the alloutwar battlfield feel that games like COD have
    still no alt+tab out, level design is uninteresting to look at but other than that its pretty decent.
    whats the command line to make a demo?

frapmarks:
    high quality/1024x768/8x filtering
    2005-10-21 17:03:10 - Quake4
    Frames: 2825 - Time: 120000ms - Avg: 23.541 - Min: 12 - Max: 62

14. ChaosTheory

ChaosTheory Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800GTS 640MB @580Mhz
    I would wait awhile before gloating all over a game. People did the same thign and said the same things with Doom 3 and we all know how that turned out. And stop bashing the reviewers. They play games just like you for a living and they review it on their opinion, but if alot of reviewers have a close score than it must be pretty accurate. Alot of what a game is goes into the replay value, and from teh looks of the multiplayer and so called linear single player, it doesn't seem like it will keep many peoples interest long. Especially with other games with the same or better formula out now.

O, and that spoiler was out long ago and was even featured in Q4's trailer which has been known to most of us for awhile.

15. P4 Gamer

P4 Gamer Member

GPU:
    KFA2 GTX 1080 HOF
    Great Old School SP FPS

If you love old school SP FPS's then you will love this as it is more of the same with better GFX & Audio. Better than Doom3 + D3 ROE as offers more variety of environments (not just corridors) and some cool little sections where you sit in the gunners chair.

Very polished technically, I have not encountered any bugs or glitches and the game engine is also smooth @ 1600x1200 without AA but everything else on max as well as 16 x AF. Only slowdown was for the intro as I have Vsync on.

Raven have shown once again they can do a better SP FPS than ID. Perhaps in future ID should just concentrate on the game engine and let Raven do all the content creation!!

Vs F.E.A.R its about even's really as even though Q4 does nothing you have not seen before it is very polished. F.E.A.R on the other hand tries hard to be different but borrows heavily from HL2 & Silent Hill2/3 in some respects so feels just as dated as Q4.

Just get both as you will not regret either purchase.

16. xg-ei8ht

xg-ei8ht Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1gb 6870 Sapphire
    Just started playing q4, enjoying it so far, much faster paced them doom3, although i did like that. Still scary parts when u play in the dark,rahhhhh.

I've only played fear demo, mp and sp, i liked them both. But can't judge as they are only demo's. although bullet time is a nice feature.

I agree as above, best off getting both games:) and throw in bf2 while your at it:)

enjoy

17. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    alot of comparisons to fear, but i think this type of game more resembles halo 2 despite being on a console, but same type of gameplay although halo2 was alot prettier to look at, more vehicles, less solo missions,smarter enemies..etc

18. Rodman

Rodman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX285 SLI@756-1580-2750
    SAY WHAT, are you comparing Halo to Quake 4 :p

With my rig I have the sound on open AL or something (sounds great) and rez@1024x1280 no AA 8XAF everything on and set to high settings. Looks great:D

As far as the whole FEAR and Quake 4 thing, I am enjoying both of them;)

19. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    not talkn about graphics, theres more to games than that..i mean the game itself, both games are alien war, your doing the same things just different storylines. both are fps,similar weapons,squadmates,vehicle combats, air raids...its the exat same s**t thats why it makes sense to compare games of the same type. fear and doom 3 are not even the same type of game as q4 and are different experience otherwise you just as well compare it with cronicles of riddick or call of duty and a ton of other fps games

20. Mooshan

Mooshan Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Armor 1080
    well i picked up q4 the day it was released in UK, same as F.E.A.R and i love both games, ok F.E.A.R is stuttery on some parts but i aint too fussed, only happens on the odd occasion when nothings happening.

I love the fact that q4 is so smooth to play, ive not had a single problem with it so far, and its fun im glad i got 2 new games to play with :p