PS5 SSD Is 'Far Ahead' of High-End PCs, Epic Games CEO Says [IGN]

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Carfax, May 14, 2020.

1. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    500-600 usd is the expected price. And yeah, hardware price vs the expected selling price doesn't make sense, but as you said yourself, they have sold them with a considerable loss in the past (especially ps3) and will likely do so this time around aswell.

2. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    I am more than convinced that if the ps5 is 500 usd it will be the best console purchase for price/performance ever

3. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    PS5 enables developers to skip LoD step due to SSD capability!

OK this is getting to be a bit much. Cerny should be commended for the blazing fast I/O system on the PS5, but it's not a miracle worker. The CPU still needs to prepare the frames and the GPU still needs to draw them.

Having no LoD would overburden the CPU and GPU and tank the framerate. It's going to be amusing to watch how disappointed the Sony fanboys will be when the inevitable comparisons between the PS5 and XSX multiplats demonstrates the XSX is the stronger console overall due to its faster GPU. GPU is king in performance, then the CPU, then the memory, then the I/O. That order is likely not going to change, even with the PS5's exotic I/O system.

4. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Having no LOD is what the new unreal engine 5 enables, and it was indeed showcased on a ps5. But you are right, it has little to nothing to do with ssd speeds.

5. S.T.A.R.A.C.

S.T.A.R.A.C. Master Guru

GPU:
    HD 7970 3GB WindForce
    There are LODs:
    https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...eal-engine-5-playstation-5-tech-demo-analysis

The difference is that the UE5 should decrease amount of triangles automatically. This obviously means that 3d artists do not need to create LOD meshes.

6. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    But then there arent really LOD's, as the system doesn't constantly need to stream in new meshes depending on the distance you are from a given object. It just loads the crap in once, and then adjusts quality on the fly... which should ironically reduce the need for high ssd speeds xD

7. S.T.A.R.A.C.

S.T.A.R.A.C. Master Guru

GPU:
    HD 7970 3GB WindForce
    LOD doesn't mean only 4 or 5 meshes which switch depending on the distance. In this case every LOD mesh geometry is decreased by 50%, hence LOD popping.
    UE5 should do this differently, but you still have LODs. You must decrease details to increase performance.

You do this with everything. You have LOD in shadows, lighting, etc.

8. millibyte

millibyte Maha Guru

GPU:
    Smoothbore125mm gun
    Tisk tisk grumpy old naysayer. PS5 is the wish granter that will bring real life graphics to the masses and make everything else obsolete. We can now enter the matrix with a smile on our face.

/s

9. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
  10. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    ^^ Yeah I have to admit I was very ignorant and dismissive about what Sweeney was talking about myself. Only after I watched Cerny's presentation, did I begin to understand just how different the PS5 I/O was compared to a PC and all the extra overhead the latter has.

I still think that eventually a PC will be able to brute force it though, by virtue of sheer CPU power and much greater memory capacity.

XenthorX and serbicu like this.

11. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    Yup and people didn't really read what he had to say and ran with it just because they don't like him.

XenthorX likes this.
  12. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    Just watched this and was impressed by his candor but it doesn't surprise me too much having met him a couple of times and how pretty level headed he seems.

13. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    How? Not getting in to the specifics but from that video he basically said the SSD is allowing immediate access to all of the games data as if it were being stored in RAM. The only way a PC is going to be able to brute force it is, in the case of a game such as GTA5 for example, if it had 100Gb of RAM. How many folk even have a motherboard that can support 100Gb of RAM?

14. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    Yeah guys, it's coming ...
    Minimum RAM requirements will be 16GB RAM and Recommended RAM requirements will be 160GB RAM, coming next year to your PC's

15. Jesus Christ if they push that in this economy they'll eat so much cash; especially considering the competition is less likely to lower prices

ramthegamer likes this.

16. I agree; no way to know nothing we simply "don't know"

I never subscribed to Linus or watched him much; no takeaway from him mind you but I saw that as I'm really familiar with Sweeney and have followed his work closely over the years. I was really impressed with this man's video and apology. I believe it shows character

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2020
  17. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    160g Minimum - let's go

18. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    reposting from elsewhere:
    I think a lot of folks are GUZZLING the marketing kool-aid.

AsiJu and Carfax like this.
  19. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    i haven't even watched this sony conference

20. apoklyps3

apoklyps3 Guest

GPU:
    STRIX-GTX1070-8G-GA
    I'm astonished that so many believe Sony's lies with not even 1% proof