Please help! possible damaged card (GTX 260)?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by bingendian, Oct 27, 2008.

Tags:
  1. bingendian

bingendian New Member

GPU:
    XFX 8600 GTX Xtreme
    Hi guys,
    I've just got my new Evga geforce 260. Have plenty of space to use it on an Intel X.38 chipset. Problem is, I can't get it even to power up (no fans, no input signal, nada.).

Now the catch is, I can't tell for sure whether the card is damaged, because I am still waiting for a decent power supply. The current one doesn't meet the requirements, and it has no pci-e power input cables - card requirements is 500W with 30A on 12v rails, I've got 6A on 12 v rails - not too sure.

And on top of all, since I didn't have that many molex connecters to spare for the pci-e connector convertor cables that came with the card, I tried to power the thing on without any additional power cables.

So my question is, can someone please tell me whether this is enough to decide that the card is faulty (I mean, c'mon, shouldn't the fans atleast work with the pci-e slot power?) or that I should buy a power supply just to make sure?

please please reply soon, otherwise, I might not be able to live RMA (which is a difficult thing to do from where I am).

Many thanks.

2. theman7233

theman7233 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 260 216 SLi
    u got to be kidding me. the power supply isnt even close buy a new one before u send it back

3. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Op: What brand and model psu are you using?

Edit: Seeing your other psu hasn't arrived yet and your current one has no pci-e leads I don't think you can be sure if it's damaged.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2008
  4. burebista

burebista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060GAMING X
    Man, you're joking, right? How in the name of God your GTX 260 should power on with your PSU and no PCI-E connectors hooked on it? :3eyes:

5. bingendian

bingendian New Member

GPU:
    XFX 8600 GTX Xtreme
    Nope, I kid you not sir, its actually an impulse buy, got so frustrated with the gts 8600 i had, just went out and did this without thinking.

I am already on the verge of the next (impulse?) buy on this thermaltake psu - which I suppose should be enough. Of course, since SLI isn't possible on this board, it won't be a necessary upgrade-concern for the foreseeable future.

A second opinion again:
    1. Will this PSU be enough?
    2. Any further thoughts about the motherboard (as said before DX38BT/Intel) compatibility with the card?

Many thanks for all the above replies by the way. I deserved every word said. :bang:

6. bingendian

bingendian New Member

GPU:
    XFX 8600 GTX Xtreme
    Well guys, what can I say. I am not in the U.S. It takes about 3-4 weeks for anything to arrive from ebay/amazon. So no, The PSU looks like its from a Chinese sweatshop. And yes, I think this cards deserve much better (see my 2nd post).

7. inklimited

inklimited Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6850 900MHz
  8. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

I hate you :D

It should be enough but it's pretty much on the lower end of recommeneded requirements, it only has ~31 amps on the 12v rails (380watts /12v ), I would recommend a decent brand 600 watt psu with atleast 40 amps on the 12v for long term efficient usage.

The motherboard should be fine.

9. bingendian

bingendian New Member

GPU:
    XFX 8600 GTX Xtreme
    LOL!

No promises though, can't say I can get this intimate with my yet-to-work 260GTX.