Philips BDM3490UC Curved 34in Display

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 14, 2015.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Philips will be releasing a new 34" ultra-wide curved screen (3800R), the BDM3490UC. The monitor has an LG.Display IPS panel with 3440 x 1440 resolution and a 5ms G2G response time, 60Hz refresh...

Philips BDM3490UC Curved 34in Display

2. Teawithgrief

Teawithgrief Guest

Good. The more 3440x1440 screens on the market, the better. Should have had adaptivesync either way tho, since it doesnt increase the price.

3. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega 64
    That's one beautiful looking display. To bad the price will make it impractical for most

4. Yakk

Yakk Guest

GPU:
    Graphics card
    Esthetics are quite nice, missing adaptive sync though
    Too bad...

5. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Exactly. Ill just keep my 21:9 25inch for now till the prices are in the $550-$700 range for a cheap curved 3440x1440 monitor one day.
    By that time Ill also have a 4930k and dual w/e amd/nvidia DX12 8GB gpus are out that are the same price segment as the GTX 670 were.

6. dragonlord

dragonlord Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Beta Tester
    Curved screen gimmick costs more to produce, raising costs, yet offers no benefits whatsoever to viewers...pass.

7. MadGizmo

MadGizmo Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 290X 8GB 2560*1440
    I agree with you when it comes to curved displays for phones and TVs, but for a monitor I think it is different. Because the screen is close to you and is relatively large, a curved monitor makes it easier to view the entire screen. In that case it also adds to the immersion of games. A curved TV on the other hand may be large as well, but, unlike a monitor, you are not close to it and usually not the only viewer. So I consider a curved TV screen a gimmick.

8. dragonlord

dragonlord Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Beta Tester
    I hear you on the monitor difference, but I still think that if a 34" monitor is covering your peripheral view, you are sitting too darn close! :)

Maybe three of these end to end?

9. Dazz

Dazz Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    I wouldn't touch a Philips device even if they paid me to take if off their hands, i have had enough horrible experiences with the company for several life times.

10. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    That would be sick, in an immersive game like Star Citizen for example. I too don't think they are a gimmick either, but they are still in an early stage. 5 years from now, with bigger size, more features etc., it will be quite the pc gaming enthusiast's toy. :nerd: