People upgrading in 2014, what phone are you getting?

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by Bentez, Apr 16, 2014.

1. TirolokoRD

TirolokoRD Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 980TI ACX 2
    Great phone, but camera and battery is not the most outstanding around.

I get to 9hrs aprox in normal use. And the camera does not take great pictures in low light...

Thinking picking the S5 for the waterproof and better battery...

2. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I just got the G2, and I'm liking it a lot. Might switch though to a Lumia, because my work phone just got upgraded to the Nokia Lumia Icon and this phone is amazing. It's huge, amazing screen! WP8 is awesome too on it! And it works with our server management at work. :D

3. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    I just switched from LG G2x to a samsung galaxy exhibit t599n.

granted the samung is a little smaller but its way faster with it 1gb memory then LG G2x with 512mb. always had to reboot the phone after 1 day of use.

4. Bentez

Bentez Guest

GPU:
    Palit GR RTX 3080
    Been playing with my new silver M8 all day, really impressed by it.

Dot view case and 64GB sd card in the post and should arrive tomorrow.

Love the boom sound coming from the Nexus 4, camera is fine for my need also.

5. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    OnePlus One looks really attractive though...

6. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Okay okay. I rooted the phone now how do I get rid of this stupid "blink feed"?

7. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    Yeah, that may have changed my mind about potentially upgrading. I'll have to see what happens to the Nexus line since there have been so many threatening rumors that it will be killed off this year. The 1+1 offers everything and more than the N5, imho. That battery is huge, that camera is stunning, it offers latest gen hardware and for $300. What more can you ask for?

I guess the only thing we have to hope for is that the dev community catches on to these, which I'm sure they will. It'd be great to have franco/faux123 kernels on the 1+1, and AOSP roms rather than CyanogenMod. I'm not a huge CM fan myself.

8. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Using Google Play Store, download and run an application called Titanium Backup.

Before running the app, make sure USB debugging has been ticked in the developer options under the settings menu.

Once running Titanium Backup, hit the backup/restore option next to overview.

You are then free to delete/remove anything you may please, bloatware in other words. :)

9. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    Just changed phones I had blackberry now I have Nokia lumia windows phone I love it really easy to use and is quick

10. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    You forgot to mention how good the camera is, unless you've yet to try it...

11. Odellot

Odellot Guest

GPU:
    TUF RTX 4090 FO48U
    Anyone here interested in S5? I'm about to renew my contract and I'm thinking about an S5. Quite satisfied with my Mom's S4 so I might try S5.

Meanwhile. I just got a Lumia 820 with Windows Phone 8.1 dev preview with developer unlocked. I'm very satisfied, very smooth and can install Apps and Games to an SD Card. Cortana is fun to play with, same as Siri of Apple.

12. Bentez

Bentez Guest

GPU:
    Palit GR RTX 3080
    If you liked the S4 then there's not much to dislike about the S5. It is quite a small jump compared to say the S2 - S3 but it's still a good phone if you like the design and can stand the touchwiz UI..

13. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    Lol, i've gotten the older model of the Nexus 5, hows that possible?
    The new models came out in late 2013 sigh.

But tbh, i don't care at all, bigger speaker grill and better volume/power buttons, nothing i can complain about.

14. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    I just got the phone, the camera is fine for me but the S4 i've had was way better.

I've heard about the battery life before getting it, i don't use the phone much.
    It will be used for emergencies and mostly for whatsapp.

I was thinking about using it as my mp3 player, but cause of the battery life, i'll just stick to my dedicated mp3 player.

15. Jae-So

Jae-So Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti FE
    Sticking with the N4, phones are so pricey these days

16. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Thinking my next phone will be from OnePlus instead of getting a Nexus again. My N5 has been a nightmare so far.

Older model? New models? The N5 came out in November 2013. There is no "old model" or "new model" of the N5. The last Nexus model was the N4. If you have a Nexus released prior to November 2013, you have an N4, which would be quite obvious as it has a glass back.

There was a change to the phone body after production to improve the physical buttons and enlarge the speaker grills, but that's not a "new model". That's a revision.

I use my N5 as an mp3 player all the time. Hell, I managed to get 2 full days of use from my N5, even being out of the area all week. It doesn't hold up like my N4 did, which managed to get 3 days on several occassions, but it's battery isn't as bad as people keep claiming. I've never gotten less than 36hrs out of my battery with moderate use.

I've had issues with N5's though. My first randomly died. My second one overheated yesterday for no reason at all. Roughly 23C outside and it got too hot to hold onto without even being used. If my N4 wasn't having issues of it's own, I'd have gone back to it by now. My N4 was flawless until I slipped on ice and landed on it a couple months ago. Even with all the physical abuse that phone has taken, it still shows no visible signs of wear or damage.

17. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Unless the OnePlus One is really how it's being hyped up to be, I might stick to my Nexus 4, if not, I'm getting the OnePlus One. Having it at $349 for 64 GB with the latest Qualcomm chipset (wished everything's not Qualcomm tbh), 3 GB RAM, 3100 mAh battery, a nice Sony Exmore camera and etc. It's hard not to pass up. My only concern is the width of the 5.5" phone. I'm already iffy about the width of the Nexus 4...

deltatux

18. squarestar

squarestar Guest

GPU:
    8GB
    iphone 6..
    too much paid content with the account. and migrating to android means losing them alll..

did I mention that i still like ios more than android?>

19. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    I have to take it off my watch list. It would be too large for me sadly. Ideally my phone would be less than 13cm tall and 7cm wide.

20. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I just recently switched from iOS (been there since the 4GB 2G) and can say I like my new android. It's a much more polished OS compared to the way it used to be. Don't get me wrong I still think that iOS is great can't wait to see iOS8 on my iPad.