NVIDIA To support VESA Adaptive-Sync Technology, GSYNC Compatible

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    In theory for people with a 980ti buying the cheapest Nvidia or amd card that supports vrr... I bet it will do like a charm to pass threw the signal it is already possible ...

2. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    Someone mentioned VRR support being mandatory as part of the HDMI 2.1 spec.

I couldn't be arsed to google that but if that's true it kinda forced Nvidia's hand on this. They're going to have to adopt HDMI 2.1 for their GPUs sooner or later and that means embracing VESA VRR. By enabling it now they get both a decent field test as well as the ability to soak up some good will from the community, while waiting until they're shipping HDMI 2.1-enabled cards would make it seem they were forced into embracing VESA VRR against their desires.

Of course the underlying reason is rather moot for us as consumers, having a single standard is always better.

Venix and Maddness like this.
  3. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    Took them long enough, i suspect that they realized that they were losing more sales by not supporting it, than gsync monitors were being sold due to lack of compatibility.

Maddness likes this.
  4. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Adaptive sync was part of the VESA spec in 2009. Just stop.

carnivore, fantaskarsef and Maddness like this.

5. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    I'm on a 2018 Samsung 65 inch NU8000 and EVGA 1080Ti FTW3, so this certainly has me excited and intrigued. Yeah, the VRR range on this TV won't be up to snuff for most but it could make quite a difference in my gaming.

Wouldn't buy a Gsync display because I'm addicted to gaming on a huge screen now, and the BFGD being $5000 put it way out of my price range. I look forward to testing on Jan 15 to see how things go!

I would hope that this "uncertified NVCP toggle" just lets the screen work within its existing range, since this basically amounts to undoing a software block on the drivers and not actually physically changing our panels in any way. We shall see!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    toyo, Maddness and Venix like this.
  6. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    @Exodite i know i mention it few weeks back also that it was very suspicious that they released rtx cards with hdmi 2.0 instead of 2.1 , i can not look for it now since i am currently in a ship traveling and midle of the sea i enjoy 56kbps speeds maybe lower :p

7. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Me too on my 980ti..

Although it has a bit higher range no?

I see it has 2 modes, high and ultra. Ultra being the one you mention, other with lower range.. I see AMD has something called lfc compensation.. maybe that helps extra.. but if that works too is another thing..

https://www.displayninja.com/samsung-c24fg73-review/

Ps to the one trolling @dp1.2a and what not.

By free sync2 monitor..
    Display Port Version1.2

HDMI Version2.0
    https://www.samsung.com/levant/monitors/c27hg70/
    so no, no word about 1.2a, even by HDR monitor, go troll elsewhere.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    Venix and yasamoka like this.
  8. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    I wonder if this toggle will allow for non-whitelisted laptop panels that are GSync capable but not enabled in BIOS to work

9. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Again, not freesync.

10. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Again, not freesync

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Freesync 2 panels are more likely to be gsync compatible.

Maddness and warlord like this.
  12. toyo

toyo Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070Ti 8G
    So about this.

The range is supposed to be 70-144Hz for both CFG70 and 73, I think. I am unsure if Nvidia considered LFC when it came up with that requirement for 60-144Hz. But - look at the picture below. I'm not an expert with this app, but I;ve seen people that say that V rate is basically identical with VRR capabilities. Is it true? I don't know, but people have been using this app to extend the Freesync range, and if this will make a Geforce work better with Freesync monitors, I guess it's possible. Also, if the app is correct, then maybe the limit is actually 50-144Hz by default? I most definitely didn't change firmware or anything of the sort on my CFG73.

Maybe somebody that has these popular monitors with a Radeon can confirm the range and how they work with Freesync.

The 980ti though, could pose a problem since they said Pascal and RTX. Hopefully they'll unlock it later for older cards, just like with OC Scanner.

[​IMG]

-Tj- likes this.
  13. slick3

slick3 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 +85/1200
    12 monitors out of the 400 they have test have passed; so everyone wanting to turn on A-Sync on the 15th and enjoy a smooth gameplay needs to calm down a little! :D

14. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Passed certification, meaning the feature will be turned on by default. For those that didn't pass, you can turn it on manually. They made that clear in the presentation / press release. But yes, a portion of those who failed may have serious synchronization issues, although I'd bet a majority fail on particular tests related to blanking, flickering, ghosting, failing overdrive, etc... which don't (immediately) impact smoothness.

Maddness and toyo like this.
  15. claydough

claydough Guest

GPU:
    EVGA gtx 1080fe
    makes me nervous to think that Gsync module monitors might not be produced anymore as a fan of 3Dvision who basically relies on:
    community solutions for stereoscopic support on games...
    along with,
    fast TN monitors that with a "Gsync brand" is more likely to also support 3Dvision.

Considering that I have been crossing my fingers that Gsync would last till a fast 27" QHD 144mhz OLED/microLED HDR monitor finally at an affordable price-point was an actual reality.
    ( with the billions being invested in a stereoscopic next gen VR future...
    it just seems ridiculous that a dedicated fan base should be so nervous to lose support for a tech they never would consider gaming without as an option. Just to painful to even consider.
    A world without stereo support. As if listening to music in mono was an option? *shudder*.
    Gaming for two eyes and ears please? as God intended )

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019

16. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Yeah, funny, yet still wrong.

17. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    It's funny how some seem to mix Adative Sync and Freesync. Freesync is just a lame AMD marketing term for their Adaptive Sync implementation. NVIDIA uses "G-SYNC Compatible" for their implementation. No doubt that's what the AMD marketing guys want though (thanks to that we see all kinds of brain farts posted by people).

18. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Well, you are right. But look at it same way as others.

Adaptive Sync Monitors did not change a bit since their release, yet now nVidia claim that they are G-Sync compatible.
    - If you were to take it seriously, you would say that G-Sync uses exact same signaling as Adaptive Sync and nVidia just charged extra for little box doing same thing
    - Or you can say that Adaptive sync uses different signaling than G-Sync and nVidia added support for Adaptive Sync signaling to their drivers

(In 1st case, everyone who paid for G-Sync was ripped off. In 2nd case nVidia is just deceitful.)

So, yeah, not a freesync as that's "AMD's implementation name of Adaptive Sync."
    In similar way you can now say that VESA has Adaptive Sync standard. And nVidia implemented it under name "G-Sync Compatible". (What a poor naming.)

carnivore likes this.
  19. JohnLai

JohnLai Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 970 3.5+0.5GB
    Currently I am wondering if Nvidia will allow VESA Adaptive Sync to work for Kepler and Maxwell gpus........

20. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    given that 900 series gpus support mobile gsync which uses essentially the same adaptive refresh standard, it would be very suspicious if they didn't,

kepler likely lacks the hardware support to do it.