NVIDIA To support VESA Adaptive-Sync Technology, GSYNC Compatible

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    honestly g-sync have a place on the high end ++ market of monitors ....when you pay 1000 for a monitor 1200 will not push you away ....i assume when you fork that kind of money you want the best ....

the price premium on on the 200 up to 600 range monitors is a hard sell , plus if you have even the crappiest of the crappiest freesync monitor why not give it a try ? is not like it will make your card explode and if it is terrible you can always close it again i guess .

2. Singleton99

Singleton99 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 12gb
    Thank you for the explanation :)

Venix likes this.
  3. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Most are trash monitors. There are few proper ones but that is the sad truth.

4. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Because not everyone uses Nvidia products?

I would argue this is more bad news for Nvidia and not all that relevant to AMD. Nvidia would've seen more profit from Gsync over Freesync, and with the impressions left by PhysX and RTX, this is just 1 more thing to add to the list of "proprietary tech that Nvidia isn't committed to". In other words, Nvidia is leaving a bad impression on those who want to support their proprietary tech.

Why? G-Sync isn't cheap to get into, so I'm sure most people who bought into it had money to burn. It's not like their current displays aren't working anymore, so, they still get the benefits they paid for.

5. Party Poison

Party Poison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4090
    I feel like i read something different from everyone else.

Everyone now is praising the lord because we can all now have free Gsync,Hallelujah!
    About how evil nvidia has finally had its claw unfurled and now we can all have Gsync.

But its not, 12/400 models passed " vesa certification " which is the bare minimum for compatibility.

It is not full gsync support, Gsync is hardware. The module has a job, No its not some long con to spite everybody.

Gsync gives lower input lag compared to Freesync, But whats it like without the module? We have no idea.

Lets all just calm ourselves and wait for the testing, If we can get a more basic version of gsync on more panels for cheaper then thats amazing for everyone.

But lets wait and see first.

Solfaur likes this.
  6. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    That and FastSync doesn't always work.

7. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I'm surprised that Nvidia caved in so easily. What I'm not surprised by is their self-righteous and pompous attitude - saying how it's "certified", as if they are the ultimate arbiters of adaptive sync technology, LOL.

At any rate, I have both GSync and FreeSync monitors and I'll be sure to test this when it arrives.

schmidtbag likes this.
  8. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    I have a LG freesync monitor (34UC89G) that it´s included on the certified list and a 1080ti so i´m happy with this news. But i´m not super excited because my experience with this screen has been great without adaptive sync but it´s always nice to have more features and options available specially for free.

Gsying maybe be better than freesync but it´s not worth the huge premium over it and Nvidia knows it very well. Unless the freesync+Nvidia experience is really crappy... As for the hardware, it´s main function is to guarantee that the screens only work with Nvidia selected cards...

Venix and Maddness like this.
  9. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Seeing how Gsync screens were much more rare, the revenue from them might not be truly significant for Nvidia. However, with this Nvidia might sell more video cards since Freesync screen owners, with an old AMD video card, could switch to an Nvidia video card while still possibly retaining adaptive sync. However, Gsync monitor owners still couldn't buy an AMD video card since nothing changes about the existing Gsync screens. So the traffic could only go in one direction, and it's the direction benefitting Nvidia. Years in the future, with Gsync screens maybe disappearing, this wouldn't matter anymore.

Monitor manufacturers naturally are the ones benefitting the most from this. A Freesync screen is still a bit more expensive than a very basic screen without any adaptive sync, so the manufacturers possibly can make a bit more profit, even taking into account the extra components needed. Now they can start to market the better screens to those Nvidia gamers as well who hadn't invested the huge premium in a Gsync screen. I can foresee a bunch of sales happening immediately if this change turns out well: Money conscious Nvidia gamers with static Hz screens would buy Freesync ones.

10. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    Don't forget that Nvidia themselves have basically been branding Adaptive Sync as GSync on many laptop screens without a Gsync Module for years now. And it works pretty well, too. So sure, a GSync module may be better, but the lack thereof hasn't stopped Nvidia from calling it true GSync on such laptop displays, nor will it stop them from calling it that way on Desktop cards now either.

carnivore and Maddness like this.

11. Raider0001

Raider0001 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7900 XTX Nitro+
    the day adaptive sync became vrr

from my understanding of nvidia vrr nvidia calls "trash monitors" all of those which run in narrow range like 48-75Hz which is idiotic since running games at lets say 50FPS capped is still WAY WAY better with vrr than without but in nvidia mind you need the upper range of 144Hz minimum (i think) for the proper experience
    i do not think maxing that refresh rate has anything to do with adaptive sync vrr tek at all it is what LCD matrix is capable of doing - not what the adaptive sync vrr driver chip is helping with
    pure marketing
    that narrow range is quite wide ;)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  12. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Sorry, no nVidia card here. But on AW forums people with nVidia card mentioning that they have screen turning black for second from time to time on Freesync version got unfavorable reply alongside:
    "It's not a monitor problem, it is compatibility issue as people with nVidia card should get G-Sync version."
    (Which was clearly ignorance as screen was not in Adaptive Sync mode, but pure 240Hz and therefore should behave in same way on every card supporting given frequency.)

So, be extra careful. (There is mitigation for given issue by changing few parameters via CRU. But one can't really guarantee that it will work in Adaptive Sync mode without having those Black Screens.)

13. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    What I also find funny is how they are pushing this from a G-Sync angle, saying that these monitors are now "G-Sync compatible" - as opposed to saying Nvidia GPUs will now support FreeSync monitors, which is what's actually happening. G-Sync really has nothing to do with this.

fantaskarsef, carnivore and Fox2232 like this.
  14. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Well it wouldn't be Freesync it would be that they support Adaptive Sync. AMD isn't really doing that either.. I honestly don't have a problem with the certification - if anything it will make Adaptive Sync standards better.

I'm going to be amused when the Nvidia doesn't support LFC on Adaptive Sync displays and saves it as a feature for G-Sync only.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    fantaskarsef likes this.
  15. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090

16. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    I am happy. I'm looking at those yet to come OLED VRR TVs... They look pretty tasty now.

Maddness likes this.
  17. Raider0001

Raider0001 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7900 XTX Nitro+
    the range is gigantic for all of them
    i am using range of 48-75 for a long time now - guess how many problems of narrow range i had ? 0

18. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Uh no - 48-75 is not gigantic and a lot of those don't even get LFC. No one says you're going to have a problem with small range but the experience is definitely worse.

Maddness likes this.
  19. Raider0001

Raider0001 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7900 XTX Nitro+
    what was worse for me ? i had my adaptive sync enabled at all times in every game i played

i dropped my setting if i needed to (excluding the existence of adaptive sync tek those settings would still be dropped) to reach minimum of 48 frames
    and i capped maximum frame rate at 73
    that is it smooth experience 99.999%

20. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    The experience? This isn't a terribly difficult concept to understand.. currently you only have adaptive sync from 48fps to 75fps, other monitors are capable of doing it 30 to 144fps. Obviously 30 to 144 is better and that's really all there is to it.

sammarbella, Maddness and anxious_f0x like this.