Nvidia announces New TITAN X

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by HeavyHemi, Jul 22, 2016.

1. RotatingFan

RotatingFan Guest

GPU:
    corsare
    ddr5x

ddr5x oh deer oh deer oh deer

2. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    There have always been and will always be people who want to buy the best of the best, whether the value is there or not.

People wanna brag, people wanna feel like they have better than others, and people have money to spend on things. Pretty simple to understand.

3. Evele

Evele Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700 XT
    The largest price hike per generation in GPU history and everyone seems to love it. Makes no sense.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
  4. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Hey, I still remember that Tesla card with 6144 shaders and 16GB HBM2. I wonder what happened to that "Titan X". It would probably actually justify this price, and it was most likely canned.

Apart from my obvious hate for the obvious NVIDIA cashgrab bs, this will be the first GPU to properly get 4k60 with everything maxed. Just DO_NOT_BUY_IT. There will be a "Ti" version funded from the idiots getting the overpriced part.

5. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Where did you ever see a card like that?

Even if you removed the FP64 cores on the GP100 die, you'd still only be able to fit like ~4800 FP32 shaders. A 6144 shader Titan X card with FP64 would be like a 900mm2 die. The P100 with HBM2 is 610 and that's cut down already.

The Titan X was already extremely popular with the HPC crowd. This is 60% faster in single precision and 120% faster in half precision and it's only $200 more.

Pricing is fine for the target audience.

In terms of what? They do sell 1080 cards at $610. So really it's only a $60 increase compared to Maxwell. You may not like the $610 card, or be able to find it in your country, but it does exist. The 8800GTX launched at $650 in 2007.

Then you have to factor in all the outside stuff. Like FF processes generally being more expensive per transistor then previous nodes. And the fact that Nvidia now spends nearly the same amount of R&D per quarter as they did per year 10 years ago. Inflation. And it's not like Intel where the chips aren't really improving in any meaningful way. The new Titan X is significantly faster than the previous version. Same with the 1080.

I don't see the issue personally.

6. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Oh ok. Makes sense to me.

7. Dellers

Dellers Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 2080 Ti Trio
    If my math isn't completely off prices on nVidia cards must have gone up four times as much as the inflation the last 5 years (comparing local prices on GTX 580 vs. GTX 1080 and taking exchange rates out of the equation), and then I'm using the local inflation which is higher than in the US and then adding some. High end gaming is getting more expensive for sure, considering that the prices increase several times faster than wages. And sure, nVidia is definitely better than Intel considering that they actually continue to make better products, while Intel pretty much releases the same products each year at the same price or a little higher.

8. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Not even close. Look at msrp again.

9. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    The release price of the base GTX 580 was MSRP $499. The release MSRP for the base 1080 was $599.

10. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    My personal take on this is we're reaching the point where the GPU is becoming less of the performance issue and the rest of the system is falling behind. Particularly in being able to transfer data across the various system buses.

11. Dellers

Dellers Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 2080 Ti Trio
    Yeah, I had a typo when using the calculator, turns out the 1080 is just 11% more expensive than the 580 after inflation (when choosing the cheapest 1080 that is, it's a little more for comparable cards). Looks like the 1080 Ti will be another story though, if it follows the Titan. We'll see, I'll probably get a Ti anyway unless I wait for Skylake-X.

12. snight01

snight01 Master Guru

GPU:
    GB RTX 4090gamingOC
    This means the 1080 Ti is going to be $1000 USD isn't it..

Damn. I'll pass on these absurd prices. Who really is buying video cards for these prices??!!

But isn't the Xbox Scorpio going have 12 gbs of ram? Prices will be adjusted when the revamped consoles (lol) is released I suppose.

13. BColt

BColt Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X 280x
    The problem has always been the software, actually.
    Needs an unified system, same as consoles, where consumers will benefit. Not only the corporations.

14. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    So I guess they'll be doing the same as with Maxwell. Make easy money from overpriced Titans (they always sell out), and then later introduce the Ti, which for all intents and purposes is just as good, but for almost half the price.

15. GeniusPr0

GeniusPr0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Surpim LiquidX 4090
    It's ok. Vega fury will get 8gb hbm

16. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    There might be another version with HBM2 w/ 16 GB, but not sure at this point. Keep in mind you'd have to pay more for a HBM2 version.

17. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Not really. Remember Fox proved that HBM is not perfect and the thoretical bandwidth was not translating to reality. The Fury and Fury X both respond to memory overclocking. 384bit GDDR5x is going to be very fast and honestly we as gamers don't need ~1Tb/sec bandwidth anyways.

18. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Not really. it doesn't matter what software or OS you're using. Data transfer is becoming the limiting factor in performance across the board. How does having a single monolithic 'unified' system benefit? How does that solve the issue? How do consumers benefit from consoles?

19. leszy

leszy Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 7900XT Gaming OC
    Founders Edition price?

20. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Considering Titans have always been refernce only the MSRP is "founders edition".