NVIDIA 258.96 is out!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by stone-eye, Jul 12, 2010.

?

How is this driver working for you?

1. Better than previous drivers

144 vote(s)
    67.0%
  2. About the same as previous drivers

45 vote(s)
    20.9%
  3. Worse than previous drivers

26 vote(s)
    12.1%
  1. Barso

Barso Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX480 SC
    Just fitted a gtx480 to replace my gtx295 and crisis still stutters and freezes in 64bit mode.
    Although no more sli issues.

2. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    They finally fixed the scaling bug in the previous drivers. The screwed up the last drivers so it would stretch the image out even if you disabled scaling. How the hell did they manage to mess up such a basic feature such as disabling a feature?!

3. ortucis

ortucis Active Member

GPU:
    AORUS 1060 Extreme
    About the "global profiles or game profiles" settings not being saved issue..

I installed these drivers on day-1 and profiles settings worked fine. Suddenly today I started having this issue all over again (I am on Windows 7 x64). Obviously this is nVidia's ****-up with Windows 7 but the fix for ME at least was to just "Restore Defaults" for global profiles settings and close/restart the CP.

Now it's working again, don't know for how long though..

4. intellimoo

intellimoo Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 SUPER GamX
    w00t?

hmmm... "nvidia - the way we were meant to be played" :)

But seriously, no issue with this driver*, it's actually been surprisingly solid for me for once. I surely won't get used to it, though, just to be safe. :3eyes:

*Well, no crashes/freezes or driver restarts, but it may be a cause of some periodic stuttering in L4D2 and other Source games, but not 100% sure.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2010

5. tehalirigsho

tehalirigsho Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX460 SC
    got a new GTX460 SC yesterday and installed this driver!
    everything seems fine except for when i need to restart the resolution reverts back to a very low res maybe every other time i restart.
    anyone else having this issue or know how to fix it?

6. Rumpus01

Rumpus01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1060 3GB
    Nhancer won't launch with these for me and my windows 7 aero appearance keeps turning on and off.

7. SuperBill

SuperBill Guest

GPU:
    Dual eVGA GTX 580's - SLI
    Nhancer is not yet compatible with the 25x.xx driver series. I'm not sure what to tell you about aero turning on and off... probably a fresh driver installation might help (Driver Sweeper).

8. BababooeyHTJ

BababooeyHTJ Member Guru

GPU:
    7950 crossfire
    I've had good luck with Nvidia's drivers for a while now, well their WHQLs at least. This seems to be my first exception in a while. I'm seeing a fair bit of stuttering in a few games. Metro 2033 comes to mind that I didn't have with the last whql. Sadly if I revert back I can't play NWN2.

9. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    i always had some odd hickups in metro2033, this helped and smoothed the game (well i think its because of ingame hw physx but i keep it on anyway..)

[​IMG]

just turn on threaded optimization and tripplebuffer, also try 4 frames to render ahead sometimes it helps with more demanding games, hope it helps :nerd:

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  10. BababooeyHTJ

BababooeyHTJ Member Guru

GPU:
    7950 crossfire
    Thanks but it's not just Metro. I even noticed the same random stutter in Torchlight. I see it in Crysis. My performance in NWN2 which was fine in 191.07 is pretty subpar. Just Cause 2 runs great but I have yet to play that on another driver. Serious Sam HD TSE also seems to run great. I don't know this driver seems flaky.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010

11. wildvil

wildvil Active Member

GPU:
    5830 x 2 + 9800 GT
    For those people who are having problems... you need to find out what is causing your problem(s). In other words if you notice on a forum some one else with the same video card(S) and everything works for them, it should work for you.

How to find a problem (for people who are having lots of problems with a driver that should work):

1. Go to basics... no cpu, ram or video card overclocking (make sure the bios is set to normal settings... keep in mind that default might be wrong, e.g. some ram needs a higher voltage to work normal). Install windows on an extra hard drive, update it (you do not need to register it, only using this for testing, you have 30 days). Install network, sound, video, and chip set drivers (no raid or other drivers that are not needed for gaming... only use official drivers, no beta's). and finally install a (newer) game that you want to play and are having problems with, do not forget to update it (if your game can not be updated because you need to use a crack to run it... get another game to test). Do not install any extra programs, cpu temp, etc. See how this works.

2. Going to basics does not work... go to a friends house with a newer high end computer (not a dell, sony, etc... unless it is an alien ware or equivalent) see how it works on his/her computer. You have no friends then go to a local computer store pay $20 to $50 to have just your video card(S) tested. Either your computer is to old (just because it has a pci express slot does not mean it will work with a newer video cards) or your video card(s) have problems.

3. Going to basics does work... add software, and drivers and test after each install... After all software is install, start overclocking your video card (remember every driver will have a different overclocking score, so every time you update a driver you need to test your video overclocking). once you get a stable video overclocking then move on to the cpu and if you want ram.

4. You install everything, your computer is fully overclocked but you do not know why it is working... could be a hundred reasons, but you know what ever it is it is your original hard drive. You can keep on looking, or just start from scratch...

Remember these key points.

If all of your games work well , no video or movie problems then you do not need to update your video driver.

If it is a beta, alpha or a leaked driver and you have problems, then live with them (that is why it is not microsoft certified).

Before downloading read what the driver does and what problems it has... if it is going to affect a game you love do not down load it.

Hope this helps.

12. BababooeyHTJ

BababooeyHTJ Member Guru

GPU:
    7950 crossfire
  13. xankazo

xankazo Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 SC (6GB)
    I don't get it...

14. gladi8r

gladi8r New Member

GPU:
    MSI 3080ti
    ^ Trolling

15. BababooeyHTJ

BababooeyHTJ Member Guru

GPU:
    7950 crossfire
    Is there a reason that 258.96 beta and WHQL are a different file size?

I installed the WHQL and now NWN2 seems to be running very smoothly. I'll have to try some of the other games where I had noticed some hitching with the beta.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2010

16. eddieveenstra

eddieveenstra Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 780@1150MHz
    Just click on restore default settings. If that doesn't work you can use Nvidia Inspector

Tnx for this advise. It helped fixing my profile issues. Now using nvidia inspector and running smooth with all profiles. Still disapearing from cpanel but at least still visible in the inspector tool...:):):)

17. eddieveenstra

eddieveenstra Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 780@1150MHz
    I'm having issues with fallout 3 on windows 7 x64. Freezes and stutters. Have tried to disable the reflection in water setting but still have freezes. All other games run perfect. So still keeping this driver.:):)

18. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    |||Keeper great drivers. 5fps boost in DA

19. xankazo

xankazo Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 SC (6GB)
    Drivers are really good, no complaints at all!

20. °L°

°L° Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2010