No more cracked games in two years ?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 7, 2016.

1. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Real quick, just want to add in no talk of piracy please. Don't care your reasons for it, just please don't do it.

2. morph

morph New Member

GPU:
    SLI GALAX 970 GTX
    They said the same about securom, they said the same about starforce and they said the same about ubisofts always online DRM. 3DM is a group who don't "crack" releases, they bypass steam and now bypass or try to bypass denuvo. That's it.

I'm 100% certain the actual scene crackers from the big competing groups are working on it and it will only be a matter of time before they break it. It has already been said in this thread that if games come out priced accordingly, well polished and well developed sales will flow.

The piracy scene for the 360 and ps3 was just as big as the piracy scene for PC but devs like to paint us all as a bunch of pirates and treat their paying customers LIKE pirates. *edit to take out piracy reason*

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
  3. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    Agreed, PC players being treated the way companies do is irritating. I bought PoE on release for $45 because I was interested and it was DRM free. All more DRM ever does is kill my interest and drive me to wait until I can pick up a retail copy from Gamestop or a European release off eBay/Amazon for $10ish.

4. razerhabu

razerhabu Guest

GPU:
    sapphire r9 290x
    The best way is even lower the price of games, leading people to buy the ORIGINAL product, without having to entice the market piracy ... because a person has paid too much for the hardware ....
    hardware + software = beggars
    hehhehehe: P

5. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Not being able to afford games is not an excuse to pirate them. If you can't afford your hobby, then find a new one.

Personally I don't care. I have never found a game that was so broken that I thought I needed to pirate it to "teach the devs a lesson". And broken AA is not an excuse.

6. WalterDasTrevas

WalterDasTrevas Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX970 oc
    A person who NEVER would buy certain games is not causing any damage to developers. If they download the game to test, without having money to buy the original, how it was causing any damage? Not everyone is rich.

7. NamelesONEMail

NamelesONEMail Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 1080Ti Extreme
    I'm from Romania ... a country where the minimum wage is less than 200 euroes ... even most good salaries don't go over 1000 euros\month ... and the prices here ? omg ... we have some of the highest prices in the world for food and electronics and others ...
    We barely have any health coverage so we need to pay for most things ourselves. Price of gas ? forget 'bout it (read it in gangster voice) ...

Pls tell me how we are supposed to pay 60 euroes for a game that half the time is bad , or badly optimized ? ... I still haven't played AC Unity to this day and I have a GTX 980Ti ... the framerate at 1440p with decent settings is too low for my taste.
    I have about 35 games installed ... out of those ? I only rly played Banished , Witcher 3 , GTA V , Dragon Age Inquisition and Mad Max ... the rest ? I have installed , tested them and very fast lost interest in them ...
    Its impossible to trully know whether you like a game until you actually play them. If I would have had to pay 1800 euroes (30games x 60euro) for all those games I would have had to sell my organs on the black market =)))

8. erazerswe

erazerswe Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3060
    Yes same thought

9. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    the same applies to BATMAN Arkham Knight.

Well, i think the above POST is a False-Positive threat.

10. umeng2002

umeng2002 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Super
    What will Publishers blame next when titles don't sell or they miss a Wall Street estimate?

11. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Or maybe not buy such high end hardware and use that extra money to buy games.

12. Weekend

Weekend Guest

GPU:
    1660 S
    Well, Easiest way to get games in reasonable price in my country is steam and let me tell you steam won't allow us to charge our wallet or pay from our bank accounts so we must find a vpn or a middle-man and go through very expensive ways just to buy even a 1$ goddamn game... it's worth it but just saying, making BUYING GAMES EASY would be much nicer then having a thick drm.

13. Daftshadow

Daftshadow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3080
    Just Cause 3 isn't even worth it. The game sucks thankfully I got it for dirt cheap during the holidays. Another reason why I support developers like CD Projekt who oppose to using DRM crap on their games.

14. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Again, don't care about his, her, or your reasons for pirating games. Do not discuss that you do it on these forums.

Since this is the second warning, anyone else that does it from now on will get infractions.

15. Bladeforce

Bladeforce Active Member

GPU:
    nVidia Titan
    This is crap really. Once the companies stop supporting the DRM the game will be useless in years to come. Just like the cloud, it's just another way for you to buy the game again even when you own it already.
    Once Microsoft make a deal with companies to end support in their OS by forcing an update on you, we will be forever wrapped in a circle of madness

16. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I'm pretty sure that Denuvo just uses an encryption method for protection. I don't think it needs continuous support. That's why most people didn't mind it -- it wasn't like constantly trying to get online and be annoying. I own a lot of the games they list as being protected and I never had a DRM issue with any of them.

17. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    The thing that is really impacting piracy the most, imo, is game pricing. Oh, it's still ridiculous @ $60-$70 a pop for some AAA new titles, but the encouraging thing I see is the increasing willingness of developers & publishers to begin dropping the price--often drastically--after a much briefer period. In 2011 when I bought Skyrim I waited just a couple of months until the Steam Winter sale the same year and snagged it for ~$22 & change. Didn't buy any of the DLC but later picked up Legendary for $20. Lately I've been buying old games on Steam & GOG like a crazy man because they've been sale-priced @ $1.19-$2.49. They run ROOB on Win10x64, too, even though I use my own Dosbox_x64.exe configs instead of GOG's. GOG seems to have a much better selection of old games than Steam...which is sort of surprising. (I prefer GOG, though.)

Things are really turning around in that department--I've long been preaching (along with many others) about how devs and publishers can make a lot more money by drastically cutting prices because the gaming market today is giganormous compared to how tiny it was in the 80's... Steam's been touting numbers for years illustrating how certain games that don't sell anything at $49 sell like hot-cakes @ $19.99 and < inside sales.

So I think that ultimately price is going to knock out the need/demand for 90% of the current piracy. It's always been driven by the mad obsession with $50 MSRP tags that were $50 even if the target market was 10x bigger than it used to be. (There will also be those few who simply won't pay anything for software, no matter how good, but they are a dying breed...;))

Encrypting games I see as more of an experiment by greed-mongers like EA who damn well insist on getting that $60-$70 per copy and won't even consider a lower price out of the starting gate. It is also a complex method of copy protection that throws up many barriers to honest people who pay for the software--and that's going to result in fewer and fewer sales for them, initially, and maybe even for the life of the game. Effective copy protection that actually causes a drop in sales is actually not very effective at all, is it?

18. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    The sales of Just Cause 3 aren't so great. Better blame pirates... oh wait.

DRM isn't going to generate them significantly more sales. I'd be shocked if it produced even 5% more sales. And in the end I'm certain any strong DRM is going to cause headaches for paying customers like they always have. I give it 5 years before Sony goes for rootkit #3.

19. umeng2002

umeng2002 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Super
    I'm really curious about the overhead when a game uses this. It employs encryption, somehow. At some point that has to take a performance hit.

20. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    With todays hardware the performance hit is very low.

Even at 15-20$ DAI or JC3 or lords of fail dont worth it,because ...Denuvo.

Look at the GTA V or Fallout 4,they have millions of sales because...hype and great history behind them.Fanbase is there and the content is great.
    But small or greedy corporations want strong DRM because greeeed and the content is minimal to low in gameplay.