MSI GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X TRIO review

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 23, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    We review the GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X TRIO from MSI. The super card has been beefed up, received a hefty cooler and a moderate tweak. Will it be enough the dress and impress?

Read article

airbud7 and HWgeek like this.
  2. @man_daddio

@man_daddio Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti 11Gb
    Great article !!! I was tired of the same old immature response to Nvidia (today after watching a slew of reviews if that is what you want to call them) that it was refreshing to see Guru3D do a good review highlighting the lows and highs and add overclocking !!! THANKS !!! Personally I am not that concerned about the price because AMD has nothing in this tier so the argument is moot if you want a high end card. A 10% boost is pretty darn good though. I was wondering if you saw a great difference in the 1% lows with the faster DDR6 memory? Were they better, same or worse?
    I am going to watch your Founder's Super review to see if you got some OC out of that. For no real explanable reason I never buy the founder's edition cards. They look nice but I like the 3rd party models.

3. Isaiah

Isaiah Guest

Why are there so many rtx reviews when most people keep buying gtx cards? Is guru3d bribed?

4. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Any GTX card released recently? Last I recall were the 1650 and 1660 cards, and not only were the ref cards reviewed, but several AIB cards as well. AMD? Only their ref cards released, nothing else. RTX? several Super cards have been released lately, so do you not expect reviews on these in the same way as the GTX cards with their AIB equivalents? This is actually one of the few sites that does multiple card reviews (ref & AIB). Most stop at the ref card and you have to go to other sites for AIB card reviews (like here, lol).

airbud7 likes this.

5. phoenixdot

phoenixdot Member

GPU:
    HIS X1950 Pro IceQ3 Turbo
    I will never buy Nvidia card again, I bought MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X TRIO not even a year ago and they lunch a better version of this card with $100 cheaper price... I feel that I was fooled by this company :(

6. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    cheer up man it happens been there myself it makes you wiser
    no regrets

airbud7 likes this.
  7. Margalus

Margalus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus 3060 Ti
    You better throw your whole computer in the trash and lock yourself in the closet then. This is the way the computer industry has worked for decades. If you want to be an early adopter you pay more, you should know something is always going to show up quickly that is better.

Even if you aren't an early adopter. You should always know something better is around the corner.

alanm and airbud7 like this.
  8. phoenixdot

phoenixdot Member

GPU:
    No it not's like this in the past, new series always have 1 year gap. Nvidia could sell their RTX card at Super series price from the beginning but since they don't have a competitor they getting their head big and sell it with higher price. Now AMD are catching them up in the performance and since ray tracing and DLSS are garbage they start using strategies like this Super series crap...

Next time I build my 2nd rig, I'll definitely goes to AMD card instead.

9. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    I am very sorry to have spent so much time in my vacation for you to read our free content. BTW one more remark on making accusations on us being bribed and I will hit the ban button, shame on you.

10. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
    Why so many rtx reviews? new or rather replacement cards just came out this month.. :rolleyes:

It's been 10 months, things like these happen all the time.

Back in the day with Titan coming out at $999 literally 9 months later the 780Ti comes out at $699 with more CUDA (2688 CUDA to 2880) then 3 months after that Titan Black comes out to replace the Titan thats 2880. So Titan (February) -> 780Ti (November) -> Titan Black (February).

This can be a response to AMD like the GTX 1070Ti or the GTX 1060 GDDR5X (came out with GDDR5 originally) after AMD cards came out.

We can say that Nvidia said better yields because if you look at it we had:

(last year)
    2080Ti - TU102-300-K1-A1
    2080 - TU104-400-A1 (non-factory oc)
    2080 - TU104-400A-A1 (factory oc)
    2070 - TU106-400-A1(non-factory oc)
    2070 - TU104-400A-A1 (factory oc)
    2060 - TU106-200-KA-A1

Now the SKU has been replaced:
    2080Ti - TU102-300-K1-A1 (Same)
    2080S - TU104-450-A1 (New)
    2070S - TU104-410-A1 (New)
    2060S - TU106-410-A1 (New)
    2060 - TU106-200-KA-A1 (Same)

To get that "Super" performance they upped:
    2060S = +256 CUDA + TU106 "410" (vs. 200) + 2GB RAM

2070S = +256 CUDA + TU104 die/pcb + better ram.

2080S = +128 CUDA, still TU104 + even better ram.

This doesnt include the RT stuff...

2060 MSRP $349 (AIB retailing $439~$499) -> 2060 Super $399 (AIB retailing $399+)
    2070 MSRP $599 (AIB retailing $649~$699) -> 2070 Super $499 (AIB retailing $549+)
    2080 MSRP $699 (AIB retailing $770~$790) -> 2080 Super $699 (AIB retailing $699+)

Technically everyone hated the 20 series prices when it first came out.. but on top of that retailer/manufacturers had fun with it as well having $50-100+ price difference between an A and non-A card, I remember having to choose for a 2070 card $649 or $699 last October (non-OC or OC). So IMO for those buying new cards, you're lucky these came out, you're getting more for less. These are the prices it "should" have been from the start but again they didn't really need to do a refresh to stay in the game with AMD they could've easily brought prices down but these Super cards make it more inciting to make the purchase. Those that had the 1080Ti were more disappointed as it took them this long to have the same priced card "beat" it or rather advertised as such or having to pay $1,200 for a "real" upgrade. But in the future we'll see this again with the 2080Ti and gonna be a while till a non-Ti card will be able to beat it.

But lets face it.. Nvidia will put more of their driver support for newer cards so gotta deal with it :)

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
    Margalus likes this.

11. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    nVidia, nor any other company has much control over what retailers charge for their products. Or did you forget the mining craze the past two years and how much both nVidia AND AMD cards skyrocketed in price? It's called supply and demand. Seems they don't teach this in schools these days.

12. kings

kings Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti / RX 580
    Why RX5700/XT reviews when most people keep buying Polaris cards?

Crazy, right?

You are not paying much of attention.

The 980Ti was overtaken by 1070 11 months later for $379, the 780Ti was overtaken 9 months later by 970 for $330, etc ...

Do you think AMD is better? Look at the Radeon VII, a $700 GPU that in 5 months went EOL due to a $400 card ...

Loophole35, Margalus and alanm like this.
  13. phoenixdot

phoenixdot Member

GPU:
    I think you are the one that not paying much of attention, those previous series are all different manufacturing process and also different tech implemented in them so it make sense with the price difference and performance difference. This super series are not... it is still same manufacturing process same implemented tech with the original RTX 2080 yet the price are cheaper. It means original RTX 2080 has a very huge margin profit in the price because there are no competition from AMD at that time. Looks what happen when RX 5700 XT came out and that GPU has a very competitive price, Nvidia are forced lower their GPU price and sold this Super series crap.

14. kings

kings Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti / RX 580
    Nvidia brought more performance at same or less price, perfectly normal in a resfresh. It feels that nothing Nvidia does is okay, because if the cards are expensive, we complain because they´re expensive, if it's cheaper we complain because they´re cheaper ...

Regarding price adjustments, it is normal to have them, in all generations there are price adjustments throughout the product life cycle, it´s nothing new. AMD has already started this by dropping $50 on the RX5700/XT after seeing the performance and price of the RTX Super!

If you criticize Nvidia, you should also criticize AMD, because they were also preparing to charge $50 more if the RTX Super didn't come!