MSI AB / RTSS development news thread

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Unwinder, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    there you are :)

2. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
  3. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Alert OSD color is hardcoded to be red in the layout, but can be changed via CFG file if necessary:

FormatHeader = <C0=008040><C1=0080C0><C2=C08080><C3=FF0000><A0=-4><A1=4><S0=-50><S1=50>

On G13: if it is monochrome 160x43 LCD like G15, then only text rendering mode is supported for it by MSI AB and warning icon won't be available there. Threshold warning is displayed when LCD is configured to display data in truecolor graph mode (which requires G19 with 320x240 color LCD display). Also, your scrrenshot seem to be captured with beta 2, threshold warnings in LCD were added in beta 3.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  4. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    Got it, will update to beta 3 today sometime.

5. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    Last beta working fine here, the alarm looks real good to, tested on temp, value goes red on OSD and graph shows dotting line on limit.

6. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    Just curious, how did you make for example the "mhz" "fps" show small and next to number like that?

7. Unwinder

That's OSD layout set to "modern". Units are rendering in 50%superscript style and GPU/CPU indices are rendered in 50% subscript style for this layout.

8. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    Hmm, I have OSD layout to modern, but for me MHZ and FPS are same size as the values, it just spread out more and names are colored (GPU, D3D11 etc). Do I have to edit cfg, as I didn't alter that yet(its all stock).

9. Unwinder

Anyone have any ideas what else can be useful and needs to be added to the list of parameters defining the layout?

Right now the layout is defined via:

- Customizable separator symbol(s), displayed between group name and grouped values. For example, it is set to ":" followed by tabulation symbol for a classic layout and just a tabulation symbol for modern layouts.
    - Customizable separator symbol, displayed between grouped values. For example, it is set to "," symbol for classic layout and space for modern layouts.
    - Customizable colors for group names, related to graphics card related groups, system related groups and application related groups. For example those colors are defined for modern layout but undefined for classic and modern mono layouts.
    - Customizable color for values, triggering critical threshold. For example the color is defined for modern layouts but undefined for classic layout.
    - Customizable alignment applied to each value in group. For example, right alignment by 4 symbols is defined for modern layouts to achieve fixed column width effect, but no alignment is defined for classic layout.
    - Customizable alignment applied to units displayed after each value in group. For example, left alignment by 4 symbols is defined for modern layouts to achieve fixed column width effect, but no alignment is defined for classic layout.
    - Customizable custom size for GPU and GPU indices in group names. For example, 50% subscript size style is defined for modern layouts, but no custom size is defined for classic layout.
    - Customizable custom size for units displayed after each value in group. For example, 50% superscript size style is defined for modern layouts, but no custom size is defined for classic layout.

You may create new layouts containing any combinations of those items. For example, you may easily create exact copy of classic layout but with alarm color highlighting usage.
    Who see any other hings, which can be added to the list of programmable layout parameters?

Also, keep in mind that for any layout you may embed custom size style/color directly in group name, for example try to tick "Override group name" for GPU temperature graph, paste <C=FF0000>W<C=00FF00><S=-70>T<C=0000FF><S=-50>F<C><S> there then see the result in OSD.

10. Unwinder

Peek into RTSS release notes:

o Added text formatting tags support for On-Screen Display text. Now the client applications using RivaTuner Statistics Server to render a text in On-Screen Display (e.g. AIDA, HwInfo or MSI Afterburner itself) can apply custom text colors, alignment, size and position to some parts of displayed text. Format tags are fully supported for raster 3D On-Screen Display rendering mode only, some tags are ignored for vector On-Screen display rendering modes

11. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    All my OSD profiles are raster 3d, but I fixed it by going to Vector2d and back to Raster3d in RTSS profiles.
    I'll have to see if I have to do it for each one.
    These are old profiles, anyway I know how to fix now.
    Edit: yeh have to toggle each one, only took a min.

12. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
  13. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Alexey, would it be possible to show a small graph for a chosen value in the OSD? I think that Doom's performance overlay is one of the best examples of how it can look right now. You are already building these graphs in the main program UI anyway.

[​IMG]

I personally think that frametimes graph can be rather interesting to have in OSD.

In the same way it would be cool to have color warnings for different values by default, like fps number going from green to orange at lower than 60 and to red at lower than 30.

Edit: One more thing: OSD is showing 59 fps now for 59,9 fps which seems like a rather strange rounding =)

14. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    yup, that was what i was saying in my other post with doted line, makes it easy to see crossover point.

15. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    Missed that Ed.

16. Unwinder

Tags for embedding graphs into OSD text are planned for future versions.

Correct, now there is no rounding at all for integer FPS representation form. It should be added.

17. gedo

gedo Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700 XT 12GB
    I have some ideas for the OSD presentation options:

1. Text vertical alignment based on baseline of the font, not top or bottom of font. This would allow using different size fonts and have them appear on the same line as the larger text. Affects my point 4.
    2. Option to add grey (or user-defined colour), partially see-thru background per group. User could configure it to appear for the whole OSD, or for alternate groups, to better distinguish them. Or have alternate groups have slightly different grey backgrounds.
    3. Option to customize value and unit colours. This would allow to have the same colour for the headings, values and units per group. (Currently all values and units use the default colour.)
    4. Option to have selected items (value+unit) appear in larger font in the OSD. I'd like FPS to appear as maybe 125 - 150% size compared to the other items. This would also allow users to use smaller text generally, since you could still have the often-used items appear big enough to be easily seen.

General ideas for OSD:

1. Option to organize items in multiple OSD columns. This would allow for a wide OSD format.
    2. Option to define maximum width of OSD, after which items would be wrapped. Could be used to prevent long lines from going off-monitor. This could even be defaulted smartly so if the user didn't touch it, would automatically have the OSD always stopped at the monitor's edge. (display width minus OSD left edge).

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  18. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    No problem man, I just had same opinion on the limit :)

19. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Good to hear about the graphs! =)

Btw, is there any way to customize the appearance of video recording being active indicator? I would prefer something less visible than what's being shown now, like a small solid fading in/out red dot/circle or something.

20. Digika

Digika Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670
    I have a stupid question I still know no answer for by this day: how do I backup ALL current settings/profiles before updating? Every time I update I lose all setup for RTSS.