MSI AB / RTSS development news thread

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Unwinder, Feb 20, 2017.

1. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    AB 4.4b +RTSS 7.0b been running nice with all my games (mainly BF1 and BF4).
    The new text looks good and very readable now, not that i had problems before.
    I run it with default format and just shadow option on.

2. IDSG89

IDSG89 Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4090
    Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 is working fine for me

3. GeRmAnOs

GeRmAnOs Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6950XT
    Im on afterburner beta6 with rtss beta15. Got this info on afterburner start.

[​IMG]

On beta 11 everything is ok.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
  4. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

You're using some other old RTSS skin, which doesn't support new OSD background fill controls added in recent versions.

5. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    Does AB, RTSS save log errors to file, like one posted above?

I did get 1 startup error, which I should of saved pic in a build ago, but next try and every time after it started fine, so it was just first, one time.

If there is a log, I could see what it was, in my case doubt it skin as I use Default MSI AB ver3 and the new default RTSS skin.

6. Unwinder

Those are not errors and no, messages displayed by application are not logged.

7. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    Ok, good to know, just checking as i looked around and couldn't find anything and since then no issues.

8. gedo

gedo Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700 XT 12GB
    OSD looks good with the new additions, except I think something's wrong with the lower margin - seems there's hardly any extra space there (with setting FillMargin = 10).

The problem only exhibiting on my setup may be due to my relatively small font size: I'm using the second OSD zoom level, with font "Height = -7" and font Liberation Sans.

[​IMG]

I even managed to get the columns to line up even with an enlarged "FPS" unit as well by including the "\r" in all the units (just including it for the "FPS" unit wasn't enough).

Some further info on how the "\r" works would be appreciated - I only stumbled on my solution by accident after trying many combinations. Is there any downside to just blindly adding the "\r" to all items to make sure everything lines up?

Settings:
    Code:
    [OSDLayout2]
    Desc				= Own mono
    FormatHeader			= <C0=FF0000><A0=-4><A1=4><S0=-75><S1=75><S2=150><S3=113><S250=100>
    ValueAlignmentTag		= <A0>;<A>:70,71,72,74,75;<A0>\r:50
    UnitsAlignmentTag		= <A1>\r
    AlarmColorTag			= <C0>
    GroupReplace			= GPU%d;GPU<S0>%d<S>;MEM%d;MEM<S0>%d<S>;LIM%d;LIM<S0>%d<S>;CPU%d;CPU<S0>%d<S>
    ValueSizeTag			= <S1>:70,71,72,74,75;<S2>:50
    UnitsSizeTag			= <S1>;<S3>:50
    GroupDataSeparator		= 
    GroupNameSeparator		= \t

The 0x250 source ID (for recording stats) is not documented in "MSI Afterburber\SDK\Include\MAHMsharedMemory.h". Maybe because it's an RTSS one?

The MSI Afterburner uninstaller doesn't fully respect the "preserve settings" selection in that it removes the "Program Files (x86)\MSI Afterburner\MSIAfterburner.cfg" file. This means you have to recreate the OSD customization whenever you install a new version. This may be actually a good thing when there are changes to the format of the config, but in this case, shouldn't the deletion (or preferrably renaming to .bak - or "... (number).bak" if .bak is already in use) only take place when an incompatible AB version is being installed?

Unless, of course, user configuration is supposed to go in some other file? I just started editing this one because that's where the built-in customizations were.

9. Unwinder

That's a visual effect of using small font size. Try to increase margin much higher (e.g. use 50 instead of 10) to see that it is actually being correctly applied to bottom edge as well.

'\r' is special invisible symbol, which can be inserted in OSD text and affect formatting, but without being actually displayed. Text alignment tags (<A>) may surround any part of text and define alignment in maximum font character width units, e.g. <A=-8>Text<A> right align "Text" word by 8*maximum font symbol width. When you combine alignment tags with size tags, e.g. <A=-8><S=120>Text<S><A> alignment width changes as well according to font size of the first symbol of aligned text (i.e. 1.2*8*maximum font symbol width). So, if you wish to keep width of alignment independent of font size, you can effectively do it by inserting some default font size symbol between alignment and size tags. For example, <A=-8>_<S=120>Text<S><A> will do the trick but "_Text" will actually contain extra "_" symbol displayed. The same way, you may add invisible '\r' symbol there to do the same job, in this case formatted text will look like <A=-8>\r<S=120>Text<S><A> but only "Text" will be rendered and format helper symbol '\r will be invisible.

That's not a source ID. That's variable index. Colors/Sizes/Alignment modes and other text formatting tags can be used either explicitly (e.g. <C=FFFFFF>White<C> displays text in white color) or indirectly via variables. Variables allow making formatted text more compact and readable, for example you may define a color for variable slot 0 just once (e.g.<C0=FFFFFF>) then simply reuse the same color variable if it is being used multiple times, e.g. ("<C0>White<C> blabla <C0>and white again<C>"). There are 256 variable slots available, the first 250 slots (0-249) are available to you can be used by OSD clients (e.g. AB uses them to define layout related variables in "FormatHeader"). Upper 6 variables (index 250-255) are system reserved. Currently only system variable index 250 is really in use, it is defining color/size of status line.

MSIAfterburner.cfg in the root folder contains default settings and it is supposed to be overwritten. It is not supposed keep changes between the versions under any conditions. Your local MSIAfterburner.cfg file is stored in .\Profiles folder and each setting placed there overrides default config value. So if you wish to keep edited layout after uninstallation or add new one - put it there.

10. Unwinder

gedo

I think I understand the nature of your issue with lower margin looking smaller than others. Text height increase due to increasing one line height was not taken into account while calculating whole text covering area.

11. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Could you add LogiOptionsMgr.exe to default exclusions too please? Have the same behavior as LogiOptions.exe but seems to kick in at random really (once you've used the wireless keyboard once? no idea).

12. smut

smut Guest

GPU:
    GTX 960 SuperSC
    Unwinder, this is an awesome beta! thank you for your years of hard work and dedication. I've been a huge fan of Afterburner since its release and I don't ever see myself switching. Your program is just so far past the competition, congrats.

13. Unwinder

Sure, I'll add it to exclusions list.

14. Unwinder

Some really good news for those who like to play EAC and BattleEye protected games. Even considering that RTSS itself is not MSI branded application like MSI Afterburner, we decided to start signing RTSS hooks libraries with MSI digital signature for your convenience. Which means that it will be easier for such anticheat systems to whitelist new builds of RTSS (including public beta ones). So now in addition to official builds of RTSS (which are already whitelisted by anticheat systems), overlay should also start working with RTSS beta builds. Both EAC and BattleEye developers are already aware about it so new patches of EAC/BattleEye protected games will whitelist overlay for signed beta versions of RTSS (starting from 7.0.0 beta 15).
    Thanks to MSI, EAC and BattleEye for making it possible!

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  15. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    That's great news. I don't play anything with EAC but I do play Arma with BattleEye on Exile mod. Looking forward to it.

16. Tomatone

Tomatone Master Guru

GPU:
    7800XT Steel Legend
    Same to but only COOP and PvP ... and thanks for this Alex :cheers:

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  17. Unwinder

RTSS 7.0.0 beta 16 is available:

http://office.guru3d.com/afterburner/RTSSSetup700Beta16.rar

- Fixed lower margin calculation for OSD color fill mode when some OSD lines use >100% zoomed font size
    - Semi-transparent OSD color fill mode is now supported for Vulkan
    - I've optimized vector poly-font used for vector 3D mode to minimize polygon intersections and minimize visual artifacts for semi-transparent OSD rendering for vector 3D mode. Some rarely used symbols (e.g. "+") can still be rendered with artifacts when using semi-transparent vector 3D OSD, I prefer to leave it as is to avoid increasing font poly count

18. Tomatone

Tomatone Master Guru

GPU:
    7800XT Steel Legend
    Still waiting for BettlEye update :infinity:
    [​IMG]

19. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    The new integer framerate setting is being overwritten with default value on each RTSS update - could we have it saved between updates or moved to the UI at least? I don't like the integer one and prefer the old way of seeing framerates and it's a bit annoying to change the setting in Global RTSS profile file after each update.

20. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Just copy it to the "Profiles\Global" file instead of editing the ProfileTemplates default, should work. :)