Mordhau

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by TaskMaster, Apr 30, 2019.

1. TaskMaster

TaskMaster Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC Trinity 4080
    Coudln't find any threads on this, unless I'm not using the search function correctly?

If so please delete.

If not, lads, it is finally here for all you fans of Chivalry!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/629760/MORDHAU/

Going home to download now! Special discount on steam too!

Kolt likes this.
  2. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    It says it has CoOp but says it's a horde mode.. I'd be interested in CoOp but not if it's just a basic horde function. I'll have to check out some reviews though because this does look interesting.

3. TaskMaster

TaskMaster Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC Trinity 4080
    Well finally played it yesterday and love it! I am almost certain some of the people form torn banner studious worked on this.

Fighting is very satisfying. Maps are are decent, im sure there will be more. Graphics are good! a little dated, but overall very nice.

The horse combat is also very satisfying, especially when you lob someones head off in once charge. The weapons really have a nice weight to them and the customization of your character is a nice addition.

I am going to be playing the hell out of this, brings back a lot of fun memories from Chivalry.

So far my favorite mode is Frontlines (basically a conquest mode from BF), if you are looking for good medieval combat which is easy to pick up then this is for you.

Performance is also very good as its not so demanding.

Kolt likes this.
  4. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Upgrading
    Still hesitant to buy it, a reviewer made a good point how unfair a game like this can be.

I can see many scenario's here when not 1 but more players engage you in which you have no chance of surviving.

5. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    This game is looking like Medieval Battlefield and it is really intriguing me. I hear there are tons of server issues going on so I might wait.. but it's looking more and more like a buy for me.

6. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    the key to balancing hordes of melee attackers, is friendly fire.

i was thinking about this playing kenshi, someone talked me into it and now i am addicted......BUT.

There is a thing where you get to high level in kenshi and literally you can send you guy in to tank a crap ton of guys who will spam attacks so your can get stun locked but they really cant do enough damage per hit to really hurt you, it simply drags the fights out because when you got numbers you can simply swing away. only when you got 6 7 elites waling away where it gets dangerous, and heavy armor is FAR superior to others when your tanking dozens of guys nm how much dodge you got your gonna get hit and hit often. As long as you can still run and break up the fight or get away in your armor best of all worlds.

But in the real word swinging a sword/club axe at your friends back to hit the guy behind your buddy, well you would not have any buddies left and you would lose killing your own people. But we know why this is a thing AI players cant really manage when friendly fire is a thing in games but neither can humans, because so many games make sure that is not a thing. close line formation fighting was done with stabby weapons swords or polearms and generally the first rank attacked for 2 minutes, and then fell back. the line behind would step up and fight 2 minutes, done. exhausting to block push and stab people trying to kill you. Like being in a rugby scrum pile or football but add in spears to the mix. LOT more blood but those piles do not last long because guys TIRE.

Or are we talking skill ceiling or mechanics bending? like a quake 2 that had a sky high ceiling with some of the physics tricks you could pull. Still "fair" from that games perspective it was trying to be a "pro" fps.

team based horde mode team requires team play to achieve a goal, like vermantide is the combat real? is it balanced? hell no. and if you go off solo more often than not your going to die that is horde mode as i understand it. you can give people classes to enhance the team play. this is "fair" from a horde mode perspective.

being that games "journalists" are not gamers and do not know how or even enjoy playing games now days, it is sad i got to wonder how they define "unfair" because that definition has gotten massively watered down and applied to thing it should NEVER be applied to in the modern day. Nor should the meaning of words be open for debate when there are dictionaries to look up the meanings. But "journalists" seem to be fully willing to change the meaning of words to suit their agendas.

7. MarkyG

MarkyG Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4070Ti
    The controls are exactly the same as Chivalry's, but that is by no means a bad thing. This feels very much like Chivalry 2, or Chivalry: The Realistic Edition. Obviously there's far more to it and it's a lot more technical. We played for about 90 minutes last night, it's very cool. Combat actually feels weighty and rewarding. Review coming soon ;)

Kolt likes this.
  8. TaskMaster

TaskMaster Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC Trinity 4080
    A good point? This can happen in any game with multiplayer. In squad you can be outnumbered, in battlefield you can be outnumbered in a majority of competitive of team based multiplayer games you can be outnumbered. Sure in this game it is a little different since you are upfront in medieval combat and can't shoot your way our of a situation or throw a C4 for example, but that point imho is really, really redundant.

I have already seen a few players surrounded by 3-4 guys and actually destroy them! It was very impressive. Just master techniques and time yourself well and manage your stamina and with skill you can actually do it. God knows it will take me forever though :D

cerebus23 likes this.
  9. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I just bought it. I absolutely loved Chivalry when it first came out but the devs ruined it after a few months.

10. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    Bought this game today and only have a measly 2 hours put into it but I love it! I think with a few more maps and some performance improvements this would be in a really great place but I highly recommend it to anyone after a bit more "realistic" pvp experience that isn't a twitch shooter.

PS. Bonus points for 3rd person camera although its a bit close to your character and I actually prefer first person but still.

11. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    Think Frontlines is up to 5 maps now but 2 or 3 more would be welcome and I'm sure they will come. Would be nice to see female soldiers too and apparently they are in the game files but just not active yet.

I've been having such a blast tonight with this game, I never played Chivalry or Mount & Blade so this is a totally new genre for me and my god when you land a heavy blow and take someones head off its such a criminally satisfying sensation! :D

12. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    Bought it about a week or so ago and have about 30h played. It is basically a newer version of Chivalry. It's great, but It still lacks maps and the ones that exist aren't always balanced (e.g. crossroads). Also, I'd appreciate something like objective mode in Chivalry, where one side storms the castle while the other is defending, as frontline is quite generic. Also, I think that there should be a restriction on weapons pickup, or just total "weight" of the equipment. I could quite often see people with a lot of perks and full armor who didn't have points left for a weapon so they just pick one after spawning, because there are too many of them lying around.

That said, all of these are quite minor things that will get better with time, the important thing is that the combat is great and fun.

Repo Man likes this.
  13. TaskMaster

TaskMaster Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC Trinity 4080
    I agree. Though the Frontlines do have objectives (blow siege towers down, get battering ram, kill generals, burn tents down). Without completing those, you cannot win. I think the only map where there is not specific objective aside from kill is the new crossroads.

In fact one of the maps is all about storming a castle in order to kill the general. There does need to be more objectives though and more maps. I am sure these will come mind you.

14. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    Yes, there are small objectives, but frontline is basically a worse version of BF's conquest, as you just have that one objective to fight over at a time. Chivalry had this much better, where you e.g. burn down surrounding villages, then get the ram to the castle gate, operate the ram to get through the gate and then continue to the inner castle. Followed by an escape of the king, where he tries to reach a ship. After all, frontline is just a bit simplistic compared to that. But as I've said, it's kinda new and I fully expect these maps to appear later. The important part is that the combat is fun.

15. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    Ambient Occlusion seems a bit poorly implemented in this game, I was having some proper FPS issues on that Taiga map so did a quick google and someone had figured out AO to be the culprit. Disabled it and the game runs really smoothly now with almost all settings at High/Ultra.

Also been messing around with a short spear and shield, pokey-build, its not a murder machine but it can really hold its own against multiple enemies. Need to get my gold up now to buy some more decent looking armour.

16. TaskMaster

TaskMaster Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC Trinity 4080
    My main was heavy knight with longsword so I can hold my own against other knights, but my main recently is light/medium armor with short spear and 2 pairs of javalins, people hate me :).

17. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    Oh noes, snowflakes are at it again.

To cut a long story short, the devs were toying with the idea to have a toggle option to have either all male, all female or both character models for those who might care about that sort of thing for whatever reasons. The idea was abandoned but a few of the guys who were interviewed didn't get the memo and said that its still in the works but PC Gamer somehow took it out of context and thought they meant that you could toggle to play only as white characters.

Further to that they have an issue with the lack of moderation on in game chat where people are throwing the usual racist and homophobic slurs and on that I can sort of agree in that a mature language filter toggle option would be welcome for those who take issue with bad language although I find it strange to throw a hissy fit over that in a game where you hack other peoples limbs off but whatever.

The developers Triternion posted an official response which came across as pretty honest and they basically say that they are still only a small team and trying to get their sh*t together to manage the project that has become such a success. You can read the post here: https://mordhau.com/forum/topic/18661/triternions-official-statement-in-regards-to-recen/

cerebus23 likes this.
  18. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    clickbait clickbaiting.

tabloids is all games "journalism" is. and noone read their garbage so well done "journalists."

like being more like the inquirer and weekely world news is what "journalism" should have aspired to all along.

19. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    I wonder if anything can be done about today's videogame "journalists".