Monster Hunter: World

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Whiplashwang, Jul 9, 2018.

1. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Later on in the story you get more traps, tools and the kombat-kitty learns more abilities and also gains experience though it's more of a helper so you still have to do the majority of the fight on your own.
    Ranged is really effective whether bow-gun or bow though bow edges out over the bow-gun later on unless you go all out with cluster bombing the monsters and keeping supplies in inventory to craft ammo on the fly as it depletes.

Each weapon type also generally has a trick to it or a mechanic to learn and master sometimes involving charging the weapon or using means to alternate attacks and deliver combos dealing far more damage.
    Longsword for example goes from 20 something damage up to 60 once completely charged but while it's simple to use it's not easy to build up and combo with the charge system and retaining full charge. :)

Traps involve anything from crafting to using the environment and even other monsters and you unlock even more options later on, damaging specific parts or even severing them also reduces the creatures combat capabilities and gives different loot items for crafting though early on even the initial hunts will feel very tough with limited gear available plus there's a bit of grinding for unlocking and crafting new stuff, even the mostly harmless bugs and non-predator animals can be captured or killed and carved for unlocking additional armor and there's dozens of supply items and components for crafting gear even while in the hunting zones from the inventory.

Cat near the personal stash in the camp can lead you to a tutorial type of zone for practicing the various weapon types and attacks too which comes in handy although for the actual hunts most of them have specific abilities and patterns you learn over time and they all love to run away to some different area on the map via shortcuts and what not so some trekking will be required to hunt them down particularly the flying creatures.

2. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 6600
    Yeah agreed, im alos at the point where i only can hunt "new" hardened armored monsters,..

3. Zenoth

Zenoth Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 12GB
    Alright so, I've just finished the 'campaign' (all Assigned quests). I'm at 118 hours, took me that much time to finish it but I didn't 'rush' it either. I did a lot of other things between Assigned quests obviously, everything from Optional ones to Arena, Investigations... a lot of those... and a good bunch of long-lasting Expeditions where I just gathered for literally 1+ hour each time.

I must say that Monster Hunter World is very good. I had an absolute blast (often literally so) playing this. The size of many of those monsters, their animations, their sounds and their respective environments often ended up giving very epic gaming moments (and fights) at least for me. I wasn't even frustrated (well most of the time) when I got killed (Fainting) due to bad preparations on my part (or simply because the beast is just too damn tough). Some of the monsters that impressed me the most were the Rathalos when I first saw that thing (took me the longest time to find the will in me to go fight it), the Anjanath... which reminded me of the difficulty of Diablo back in Diablo 2 specifically on Normal difficulty (it was known to be a brutal difficulty spike, since on Normal difficulty you'd very rarely have enough Lightning and Fire resistance when first facing him, much less having enough HP to start with; and a similar situation happens with Duriel in Act 2 on Normal, not enough Ice resistance to properly fight him), and the Odogaron (the big 'red dog' one... now that one is savage as Fu-). The first time I 'fought' (more like fled) Anjanath he actually Fainted me three times, which failed my mission entirely (it was the first time I had failed a mission due to too many Faints). It took me 2 more Expeditions and two Armor upgrades (and changes) to finally be better prepared against him and finally defeat the darn thing (was still playing Solo at that point).

However, I think that the one monster that impressed me the most was Bazelgeuse (or whatever its weird name is, I just called him "Bazel" for the whole game). When that thing shows up he has his main theme popping. When a 'boss' (or any type of enemy) shows up in a game and its own unique theme buries all other music with its own... you know crap s'about to hit the fan. Additionally to that, it looks like Bazelgeuse is pretty much this game's Nemesis from Resident Evil 3. Because on the maps where he was on (at least by the time I could spot him on the map, which was not always the case at first) he ALWAYS showed up pretty much out of nowhere 99% of the time when I fought another large monster. He was literally just 'appearing' somewhere nearby and showed his face between me and my initial target. It didn't care for ONE second even if I was fighting something that was even bigger than himself. It even feels scripted. I do think that he IS sort of 'attracted' by nearby fights with large monsters and he always shows up. The weird thing is that since it just started to attack sometimes randomly it would also attack (by "mistake") the other monster I would have been fighting, and they would then start fighting each other until either one left the area (it usually wasn't Bazel leaving, of course). I mean... it's a dragon that does carpet bombing... c'mon man! Anyway, he's impressive.

In terms of design I really like the Legiana (Ice dragon basically) and the "Wind" dragon whose name I just can't recall right now (he shows up in one of the last Assigned quests). Now THAT one is a typical fantasy dragon that pretty much came right out of Lord of the Rings or something. In terms of design he reminded me of Smaug in the Hobbit movies.

There's a bit of inconsistency in some monsters though (the large ones). Most of them are very well made, but some of them feel a bit rushed in terms of animations and more specifically when it comes to 'good' placement (and size) of hit boxes on them (or placement of 'weak spots'). I thought that the Kirin was really annoying to fight because of that (not because of his Lighting attacks but more because the way it moves like a headless chicken around made it super difficult to specifically aim for the head, which is his main weak point). Another one that absolutely frustrates me (it's my personal nemesis at this point) is the Diablos (regular one anyway, since I haven't fought the Black Diablos variation yet). The ONLY two attacks it does is charge at you, or burrow into the ground and tunnel his way to your position and suddenly emerges (more like catapults himself up) to send you in orbit. The big problem (literally) is that he also deploys his wings horizontally while charging at you, which creates some sort of a freakin' WALL-sized and shaped hit box coming your way. There's almost no possible way to effectively dodge that thing even if you see it coming ahead and start dodging. By the time your dodging animation finishes the chances are that his wing tip's hit box will have touched a single pixel on the corner of your own hit box and the next thing you know you have about 50% less HP even if you consumed everything possible the game offers for Armor boosting. It's just insane. Now, granted... I play mostly with the Heavy Bowgun (ranged weapons grant more resistances to Elemental attacks, but we're weaker to Physical attacks... and Diablos has some of the strongest Physical attacks in the game).

But anyway, overall, it's a very good game. I loved each one of the unique maps (my favorite is a tough one to choose, but I would go with the Coral Highlands, although I still love my good ol' Ancient Forest too). I love... LOVE this game's music. Some of the characters are memorable and have a nice personality or are well portrayed with it during cut scenes. I had some laughs from some of the animations with the Palicos (in the small Safari cutscene for example). I love the variety of weapons and armor. The combat system is very good. I mean... yeah it's just a fantastic game really. It does have some issues and some flaws mechanically-speaking (for gameplay) but it's mostly minor stuff. The only thing I wish the game had would have been some kind of customizable arena mode where I could set up specific monster combinations of my liking and just go in, rather than to wait for Arena quests to show up (I think they're my favorite ones outside of the campaign, although I do like to go on Expeditions too since there's basically no limits there until the monsters leave on their own).

Now, since the game sold about 10 million copies to me can only mean one thing: another Monster Hunter game. However, of course, that won't happen for another 3 to 4 years from now (for the next generation consoles most likely). I just hope that the PC version will be supported for enough time and we'll get more content too.

If I had to score it, I'd give it a solid 8.5 / 10, one of the most engaging and pleasing games I've played in the past year or two.

cerebus23 likes this.
  4. ViperXtreme

ViperXtreme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Dual UV
    Farming Simulator: World
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    nothing like farming a colossal lava dragon thingy.

6. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Hey all. So I've had my eye on this for a while, seems like it could be a nice filler game.

Question. Is it grindy? Would there still be gear progression or whatever there is after lets say 1000 hours of gameplay?

7. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090

it does require grinding to upgrade armor/weapons

8. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    yep it is like wow if you want to take down the biggest beastie you need the best gear, wo it your are going to get pwnd.

and they are going to add more monsters and etc later on.

9. ViperXtreme

ViperXtreme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Dual UV
    Game updated because you all asked for better mouse controls, now its as accurate as it should be (can still be toggled to joystick like response)

10. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 6600
    Well, they ****** up the update big, cos (no one) can boot the game anymore..didnt think it'd effect me, but it wont start. Then i wonder, for which people its gonna start and for whose not.

11. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 6600
    Well cool, changing to a higher energy option in control panel let you boot up the game again. I had balanced..

cerebus23 likes this.
  12. ViperXtreme

ViperXtreme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Dual UV
    I didn't have problems booting the game after the update, might be driver related perhaps? using pre-MHW drivers

13. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 6600
    Using 411.63 but if you see the amount of people who got this problem theres a really high chance there are people using not the latest driver. Its weird enough that chaning the energy profile to high fixing the problem, but then again its also not helping for every one regarding all those posts in the steam forum. Could also be a Win 10 problem..maybe with 1803,..no one knows at this point.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/582010/discussions/0/1734339624801641360/ just posting the big one here. ^^

14. Zenoth

Zenoth Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 12GB
    I just checked and my MHW runs fine since the update.

But I'm using driver 399.07, maybe that's why.

15. ViperXtreme

ViperXtreme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Dual UV
    After farming 50+ elders and tempered elders and T2 monsters, stopped and uninstalled the game now, the grind got more annoying now looking for shining streamstones, will just wait for kulve to arrive, not much to see in the autumn festival as i have already acquired them all the good ones

[​IMG]

16. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    Quick question; does the texure fix (one that stops the textures from being low when set to high) need to be reapplied every time after the game updates on steam?

17. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    The previous patch caused some issues since it updated a few of the existing textures but usually you only need the patch archive and not the full thing and the nativePC folder is only for the mod files and isn't affected by game updates. :)

Upcoming content not already part of the current game data also needs updates for the added equipment and monsters but I don't think there's all that much left now although they are still holding 2 - 3 hunts and their respective items you get from these plus the spring festival gear I believe.

tensai28 likes this.
  18. max2

max2 Member Guru

Is it a good game?

What games is it similar to if any?

19. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/monster-hunter-world.421955/page-7

Look there many say they hit a wall after 100 ish hours, because the game is grindy as hell. depends on your tolerance for grind, and how quick you get gud.

Games like it? well the combat is a bit dark souls like, you need to learn monsters patterns etc and have the right gear to beat them. Dodges and etc are key to staying in fights. You can make use of the environment like killing little critters that shock, stun or poison mobs, so there is some environment play.

You can play in groups which buffs the monsters you fight, and well you better get gud so you can help your party, and know how bombs and traps work because your expected to know what your doing. So most of us choose to play solo, which makes the monsters easier to take down.

Imagine like most games that have group play playing with friends would make the game more interesting.

20. max2

max2 Member Guru

I tried it got a refund.