Monster Hunter: World

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Whiplashwang, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I'm a bit annoyed that there was no pre-load for this game as I am currently stuck with a non-fibre 10 Mbps (at best!) connection for the next two weeks until I have my 400 Mbps fibre connection installed later this month. That means that when the game unlocks at 5pm here in the UK, I will still have to wait 6+ hours to download the game, meaning that this is in effect a 10th rather than 9th August release for me since it will likely still be downloading in the early hours of tomorrow morning.

Why on earth Capcom could not stagger the games release for each territory so the game unlocked at midnight (as in 12:01am) on the 9th is beyond me as it would give everyone the chance to download the game and still have chance to actually play it on the day of release. Why do publishers assume that everyone has access to high-speed internet? And what is the point in releasing a game near the end of the day even?

When I pre-ordered the physical steelbook version of the game on Xbox One X, I not only received the game a few days early but I was able to install and download the Day One update ready for release. Digital console games can always be pre-loaded for release and they always, as far as I am aware, unlock at midnight on the day of release. So why is this not possible on Steam?

True, this issue will (hopefully) become less of a nuisance for me once I get my fibre connection - no more having to leave my PC on overnight to download 20-50 GB games for example - but there are lots of people out there who either cannot get high-speed internet or cannot afford to pay for the top packages. Publishers like Capcom are just being grossly unfair in my opinion.

AsiJu likes this.
  2. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    The crash issue spooked the team so they pulled the preload, they could just have had a few hours or something with the fixed build though but the game is 16.7 GB so not too problematic at least but yeah it's a few hours of downloading depending on connection speed since fiber really isn't all that viable everywhere not to mention the install costs and monthly costs after that depending on provider and then you have PITA's with monopolies and what not for certain areas and all kinds of messes really.

EDIT:
    https://www.resetera.com/threads/monster-hunter-world-pc-ot-now-jaggi-free.60725/page-5

(Should be the community manager for Capcom US.)

Though they are still tuning, something.
    https://steamdb.info/app/582010/history/

AsiJu likes this.
  3. ViperXtreme

ViperXtreme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Dual UV
    So i hear denuvo prevents CPU older than haswell without FMA3 to run the game?
    guess my 3570k is out then, and i almost pre ordered it, doubt it would run nice anyway considering i have an ol CPU

4. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    SSE4.1 usually AFAIK but some games get patched so it doesn't seem to be set. Not really sure how exactly that works and what part of the extension it requires plus the protection solution itself changes every so often.

5. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
  6. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    To be fair, there probably aren't too many Phenom II rigs out there that lack this. Now Sandy Bridge, I could see more of those being around.

7. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Yeah my CPU is pretty aged too really, if pricing hadn't spiked for RAM and such in 2016 I might have considered a upgrade but since it still held up I decided to wait a bit longer but it's about time really. :)

But it does look like it's fixed now already so that's good to see.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHun...u9a/pc_launch_information_megathread/e3vhh7u/

Although we know what's coming I suppose in later versions of this copy protection.

EDIT: Bit silly that the copy protection has newer requirements than the game itself though, but it's taken care of now at least.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
  8. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    am i the only one who likes the game graphics without that volumetric option thing ?!

9. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    It's a bit like a gray transparent overlay simulating fog (But it's not just a transparent texture overlay this time since it's a volumetric effect now.) so it's understandable people are going to have mixed opinions on the effect, can help in some scenes making it more atmospheric and in others it might muddy up the visuals a bit or make details harder to discern depending on implementation. Guess it's just there too unlike say Watch_Dogs 2 and it's dynamic (But also even more dynamic.) fog effect. :)

Elex has a popular tweak to just about disable fog too since it does something similar and in return it also improves performance since it's not just a overlay but actually has a bit of "volume" to it and affects things in the game a bit more than just hiding low-detail or non-loaded distant areas.

Only comparison I've seen of the game so far is the town or village during night and a on/off screenshot with on also using the highest setting I believe, didn't look too bad but not exactly worth the performance hit for what it does and much like depth of field and similar effects not everyone will like how it looks though at least they gave the option for fully disabling it instead of just reducing the quality. :)

EDIT: Well it depends on the game too I guess, Silent Hill and it's sequels for example with Silent Hill 2 in particular having really nice fog for it's time and somehow none of the other platform ports could replicate the same level of quality.
    (Well the PC was a lost cause but even the XBox didn't match it.)

But that's just fog in general, volumetric is a bit newer tech for newer hardware but it's not the cheapest to implement although I don't really know the tech behind how this games does it.
    (Low sounds like it's probably fairly on par with how it performs and how it looks so I assume high must be using a more precise setting but it really taxes the GPU even on Pascal and Polaris or Vega cards for NVIDIA and AMD respectively going by current reports.)

10. slick3

slick3 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 +85/1200
    I still can't wrap my head around this game despite having watched reviews and gameplay of the console version.

Basically, it's Devil May Cry with monsters instead of demons?

11. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    no

an RPG with a lot of grinding to kill big scary dinosaurs

12. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 6600
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  13. Zenoth

Zenoth Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 12GB
    I've been playing it for about 5 hours so far. It's pretty good as I expected (watched many streams during the previous months on Twitch from the console version to the point where I got familiar with some locales, characters, music and playstyles and item builds from specific Twitch players).

Some things, however (small details) I'm noticing now much better that I'm playing it:

- The first map I'm in, the Ancient Forest I think it's called; it's not only very fun to explore but it genuinely feels like a living, breathing place. The 'main' monsters (Great Jagras, etc) sometimes patrol around and encounter each other (sometimes fight) or chase their natural prey. All of that can happen randomly, and I love how docile herbivores start panicking and quickly leave their normal zone whenever a carnivore approaches (feels like Jurassic Park when that happens).

- Initially, the controls were pretty tough to get used to. Now I'm getting used to them (mentioning this in case some might think it's a negative at first, like I thought; but it's just a question of adaptation and it's possible to customize controls and camera movement enough to accommodate personal tastes and preferences).

- There's 14 weapons to choose from, only tried 2 for now and I'm already addicted to one of them (light bowgun I believe it's called, one of the three ranged weapons). It's just super fun to use (it curiously never seemed to be the case whenever I saw a someone using in during streams I watched; it's a nice surprise for me).

- It's definitely due to my inexperience with the game, but the long sword (Katana) gives me the feeling that melee in general in this game is definitely not for the beginners. I tried it for an entire Expedition, used it enough to understand how it works (accumulate 'spirit' energy, unleash it in unique combos after doing normal attacks, etc). But man it was a chore to use overall (not because of any mobility problems but because landing hits with melee attacks is so essential that missing just one time feels like a tremendous drawback, especially considering how much monsters keep moving around).

- Completely forgot about that one from the streams I watched (unless it just was never there to start with and I'm just imagining things) but there's no... cursor / crosshair / (aim) dot? I know the combat system of the game is physics-based and completely dynamic (reminds me a lot of the MMORPG Tera's combat actually; just on steroids) but I'm not sure why I just sort of expected to have a cursor / aim dot on my screen even whenever I'd use melee weapon to have a better visual indication as to where my attacks would physical land. I found out about the light bowgun's toggled aim by pressing 'C', it provides a crosshair and that's fine... but what about melee weapons?

- There's this... weird (it's the only way I can put it) visual effect I'm seeing (or "perceiving", not sure if it's just me) that gives the unmistakable impression (visually) that whenever I rotate my camera the overall game's FPS drops by half or something major like that. The WEIRD part is that my FPS actually does NOT drop when I look around and move the camera in whatever direction or axis. However, that 'visual effect' I'm referring to is very much real. I'm not sure if it's motion blur (doesn't seem to be the case) that's causing it. I do have an FPS counter (with ReShade) and I tested it over and over, not only does the FPS not drop per se, but everything seems to be slowed down whenever I rotate the camera. It's... very, very weird (doesn't happen otherwise, if I just walk or run forward, if I strafe or dodge during combat, if I climb during exploration or just move around normally with WASD controls the effect is just not there... but it pops its ugly face whenever I stay in place and rotate the camera). It's not a major thing, it doesn't break the game and doesn't make me sick but it's annoying enough that I had to mention it here.

Now, when it comes to more technicalities:

1) Looks like turning the "Volumetric Rendering" option Off in graphics settings literally boosts up the game's performance by a LOT (around 12 or 15 FPS in the big outdoor areas; excluding the Hub zone where the FPS is usually very high anyway regardless; but that setting does negatively impact the game's overall speed whenever on a mission). Plus, after some testing myself I just realize that it doesn't even seem to DO anything much for the visuals anyway, so just better turn it Off.

2) Not sure what's going on but from my own testing it looks like FXAA is actually better than TAA? I stood in place in many locations (Astera town, Ancient Forest), checking the edges of furniture, environments in general, vegetation, etc. The noticeable things that TAA seem to be 'missing' for jagged-edges corrections are mostly on the trees and some foliage, along with some ropes and chains in the Hub (the moving chains that act as elevators to quickly travel between floors). With FXAA instead those objects are properly anti-aliased. I do know that FXAA is pretty much an entire screen overlay / shader, and that it has the tendency to just overall add a 'blur' to the whole screen. Well... it doesn't even seem to be doing that. That, or the game uses so much post processing effects that it compensates for any would-be extra blurring coming from using FXAA. On the plus side, FXAA is (for me, at least for my GTX970) simply a faster option to go with (saving around 5+ FPS over using TAA).

That's about it for now.

So far I'm having fun. Just one question though, is it possible to (re)change our character's appearance anywhere at any point in the game? Or it's really just a one time thing? Mostly asking this because I received a 'daily logging' reward earlier which claimed that new Hairstyles were available. If I can't re-edit my character's appearance then... well, I'll just never get to check them out unless I'd start a new toon (which would be pointless since there's no classes and everything is basically dictated by the weapons instead; with one single character you have access to everything the game has to offer).

14. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/763695/
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/763696/

Those are the hairstyles, you can just use them during character creation once redeemed (Free, though most other DLC cost a bit.) though the quarters offers means to change hair and minor character details but not skin or other features. :)
    (That chest for adjusting equipment, one of the options lets to tune the character appearance.)

15. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    yea i been trying longsword, taking some effort to get used to orienting to the target find it easier on kb and mouse than controller as yet.

16. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 6600
    Downgrade to 398.62 it igves a huge fps boost, weird enough...thanks nvidia for crappy gameready drivers.

17. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    @Darren Hodgson Luckily it is a rather small game for an AAA title, just around 17GB

@ShadowDuke Do you have any numbers? I personally could use a few more frames.

I've only played the tutorial (1hr) so I won't talk about gameplay but more about the technical side of the game. My aim is to play it at 4K with as high settings as possible.

¤ Graphics - Honestly, they're not that great with low res textures mixed with high res. For example a guy wearing a skull helmet where the helmet is low res AF but his face is normal. World graphics are OK but the game sure needs a patch to even out the quality of the textures. It's not that bad though so I'd give it a 3 out of 5.

¤ Effects - There are things like Volumetric fog and other lightning options which add or decrease to the immersion. The game might look a bit unsharp and washed out.

¤ 4K/60fps/max settings : Forgetaboutit, it's that simple.

¤ Stress on GPU : I noticed that max settings stressed the GPU to the very core (literally speaking) with usage going up to 100% (I normally only see 99% usage). My card ran quite hot as well (75 degrees).

So, what can you do to get 4K@60fps? I found that decreasing just a few settings helped tremendously and gave me a stable 60fps (further testing required). Just leaving the options at max made the FPS go as low as 45 during some moments and rarely hit 60.

Volumetric Rendering Quality - Off (has a major impact on FPS and disables the "haze" you would see in the world)
    Anti-aliasing - Off (I don't think either FXAA or TAA has a huge impact on FPS)
    Ambient Occlusion - Medium (this boosted my FPS by 3-4)
    LOD bias - Medium (this also gave me a good boost)
    I think that's all (maybe changed SH diffuse quality but I'm not sure and I'm not at home)

Darren Hodgson and AsiJu like this.
  18. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 6600
    https://steamcommunity.com/app/582010/discussions/0/1745594817432400100/?tscn=1533892118

Im downgrading soon, too to test. Sicne so many wrote it gave them a huge boost and they can maintain steady 6ßfps almost the whole time? For me its i nthe 40s, like capped sometimes, cos my 1st quest which you have done, too it was always 43fps...

And disabling or lowering volumetric lighting only gives me 3fps more. People tellling like it gave them a big boost, too. Well, not for me. Overall all the graphic settings there dont give me much fps.

19. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    4k performance for me was smooth without Volumetric lighting , like 15fps gap between High settings and off

20. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    The game runs great on my PC completely maxed out at 2560x1440p with TAA. Of course, it doesn't hold a locked 60 fps at all times and can dip down to 52-55 fps during battles but, thanks to G-SYNC, these are not noticeable. The game definitely feels significantly smoother and more enjoyable to play than on my Xbox One X where it suffers from horrendous framepacing issues no matter what mode I select.

Not really had much chance to play in any depth yet as, alas for me, the game did not finish downloading until 11:30pm last night so I only got an hour on it before bed, most of which was spent creating my character and watching cutscenes, and I am at work today so won't be able to get back to the game until tonight.

Graphically the game looks quite nice and pleasant but not amazing. Despite using the highest LOD setting (well there's only two, the oddly named -1 and No Limit), I still see grass changing LOD surprisingly close by although it is subtle enough to not be distracting (typical that I would notice it however!). Shadows can be a bit flickery and jagged at times and some of the textures are horrendously low-res which sits at odds with it's otherwise detailed look. Lip-synching for the little dialogue there is in the cutscenes is as awful as ever and not fixed from the console versions. Monsters look and animate great though and this is easily the best-looking and playing Monster Hunter game to date (far superior to the Wii U Monster Hunter Ultimate game I played a few years ago).