MMO New World (Closed Beta) is killing GeForce RTX 3090 Graphics Cards

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 22, 2021.

1. kanenas

kanenas Master Guru

GPU:
    6900xt,7800xt.
    EVGA and the faulty fan controller
    So let’s get back to EVGA and the misconstructed fan controller, that’s really the harsh way to put it. Here my thanks go especially to a reader who was able to help me with analytical expertise and effort and also risked his hardware for the reproduction. The problem in the area of the fan control is also known to EVGA for months (!), but they have so far sat it out apparently inactive. The various messages in the EVGA forum or the mails to EVGA were ignored, for whatever reason.

The statement of EVGA, that they can’t reproduce the problem now after the patch of “New World” unfortunately no more is besides also contentwise completely wrong, because one can it. And not just in the deliberate menu with the thousands of FPS, but even in the game itself Opera Snapshot_2021-07-25_140319_www.igorslab.de.png

TLD LARS and chispy like this.
  2. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Undying likes this.
  3. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
  4. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    No, but it uses the same technique as rtss, but still gives more frametime varience than rtss.

5. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    Oh heck really?!? Man. Just when I thought I had a step up.

Have RTSS installed for monitoring along with my EVGA garbage for my GPU.

Guess I'll have to slap that limiter on through RTSS. Thanks for the heads up...

6. Catspaw

Catspaw Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080/8GB
    I already decided to skip the 3000 nVidia series (and also the AMD 6000 series) due to the very high power draw.
    Most people don't take power draw into account because they assume it is just a power bill change.

The problem is that once you run high power thru the silicon (think 250W+, thou Id say anything above 200W starts getting there) everything needs an upgrade to be safe (from GPU parts to PSU).
    When I saw the power draw compared to the 2000 series from nVidia (the 2080 Ti already had some issues with power delivery and gpus failing), I thought "oh, another GTX 400 series".

Its not that bad because the cooler from nVidia is actually fairly good. But come on... you cant expect the GPU to be fine under those conditions. If anything, thermal cycles will kill it in a few years.

I know a lot of people will believe that nvidia and amd "know what they are doing", but I tend to be more of the skeptical side of things.

JAMVA likes this.
  7. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    It seems evga dropped the ball on this rtx 3090 cards :/ ...

8. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Yes in the drivers. Its off by default. I set mine to the display panel refresh rate and forget about it. I personally feel like the default setting should be Auto which sets it the rate to your panels refresh rate.

MonstroMart and Undying like this.
  9. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    There's a reason a recommended power supply is always a thing.

You know I guess you really don't want to look into what that CPU is doing in your computer. 150 amps 200 potentially plus watts in such a small piece of silicon.

Better be careful make sure you stay at that core 2 Duo and never upgrade again.

That last part was more of a joke hahaha....

There have been graphics cards for years that are capable of 300 plus 400 plus Watts. Power draw is not an issue except if you're trying to save a few cents in your pocket. And not warm up your room so fast.

10. Taylor Swift

Taylor Swift Guest

GPU:
    Dual Geforce GTX 1080
    Make it 31 cards, I decided to tempt fate and try New World. Right at game startup, didn't even get to the menu, my 3090 FTW3 ramped up fan speed to 100% and my monitor lost signal. GPU was completely fried, computer wouldn't even boot up

chispy and Krizby like this.

11. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Even after the patch evga rtx 3090s keeps dying ?

12. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
  13. TLD LARS

TLD LARS Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6900XT

The problem is not the menu running unlimited, many other games have the same lazy/bad programming.
    The problem is the missing safeguards to prevent hardware damage.
    Warhammer dawn of war 3, World of Warplanes/ships, Apex legends and a good deal of other games have menu problems.

A game is not able to control fan speeds, it makes very little sense for the games to control fans, because no AIB cards have the same fan speeds anyway and the GPU safeguards should overrule bad fan curves or high temperatures.
    A fan controller is not able to run a fan faster then the 12v power allows the fan to run, the fans can not be "overclocked".
    The fan controller receives a 0-100% speed signal, delivering a 2000% speed signal or something like that is not possible.

The crazy high rpm signal is a reading error, communication error or a busy chip, not able to give out a clean signal.
    My Vega 64 does this very seldom with one of the readings in GPU-Z, my card has a lot of problems, but a false reading once a week is not blowing up the card.
    When I install AMD control panel and Asus control panel, both with a fan controller option, my card craps out and runs at 0 RPM until the card triggers overtemperature and the fans kick on 100% until the temps are safe again, then the software takes over again and the card craps out again, because the 2 programs fight to control the fans.
    If New World had a fan control option or override, all Asus Vega cards would be cycling between 0 and 5000RPM on the fans, because of the programs fighting for control over the fans.

14. Martin5000

Martin5000 Master Guru

GPU:
    8 gig
    well 1080 is way behind vega64 now. its not hard to lower the power and save 100 watts like i do. i loose no performance because i make up the 10% performance loss in mem over clocking.

15. Krizby

Krizby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4090 TUF
    Vega 64 is still slower than GTX 1080 in 2021 unless you are cherry picking benchmarks LMAO
    And people can overclock/undervolt their GTX 1080 to get better perf at no power consumption increase you know.