Microsoft pauses 1809 due to missing user files...

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by HeavyHemi, Oct 6, 2018.

1. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Same thought I had as I wrote that.

2. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    Jeez, I must be leading a charmed life when it comes to MS updates that is. Installed on all three rigs, been using two regularly for games (hey, I'm a retiree with time on his hands) and so far, it's been pretty good. I think my TR benchmark went down a couple of frames-per-sec (1809 + 416.16 vs 1803 + 411.70) but nothing earth shaking. Gears of War Ultimate and Gears 4 ran nicely, so did Shadow of the TR.....if some files were erased, it really didn't matter to me as I don't keep important files on my rigs, I have 'em in my external HDD's.

Aura89 likes this.
  3. Asgardi

Asgardi Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti OC
    From the claimed 2 million insiders 5 have reported/voted this issue. But it is quite extreme so better to take it seriously anyway?

4. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    I've upgraded through 8.1 to now with no significant issues at all so I must be lucky as well. lol

5. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti

I'm not sure where you got your numbers from. But, it's the RTM version that some users are having the issue with. As I personally know 4, and myself makes 5, I doubt we're the only ones. ;)

6. LesserHellspawn

LesserHellspawn Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080ti Eagle
    While I don't have the problem luckily, that is what you get when the OS goes free2play. For most users upgrading from a previous Windows version it was indeed completely free, and all updates until further notice are free. That's also what you get if you put a complex piece of software on a tight update schedule with at least two major updates per year. That just doesn't work.

7. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Right now I'm harping on EVGA to fix the friggen X99 BIOS so I don't have keep swapping out that ucode .dll every update. It would take them a day to fix it for Broadwell-E across all of their models.

CaptaPraelium and fantaskarsef like this.
  8. CaptaPraelium

CaptaPraelium Guest

GPU:
    Keep up the good work.

In their defence, they were quick to react the first time but it's been a set of moving goalposts regularly since then so I don't blame them for not investing too much of their resources on it until intel get their act together.

9. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 3070
    I applied the 1809 update... everything perfect... I did noticed that the system cleaner option now includes a "downloads" option and they probably like me, have everything there, just cause... and that's the missing files...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  10. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    https://i.**********/NLvYGBYg/Star_Lord_goes_to_MS4.gif

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018

11. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    No, that's a separate issue. It's the contents of the Documents folder that is being removed without user consent.

12. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    i like to moan and groan about M$ too,
    but honestly, M$ has been selling Beta-ware since MSdos.
    we've just been suckered all along by "updates". each new OS has been beta ware until the follow-up massive "update".
    just sayin'

13. Irenicus

Irenicus Master Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti OC
    I have it installed and I have had a few weird things, but nothing performance related. For one: task manager shows CPU usage incorrectly. Second of all, it could be a coincidence, but when I pause a VOD on twitch with chrome, sometimes it doesn't pause instantly and instead keeps playing, with the usual Play icon over the top of the video which will play for a few seconds before it does actually pause. Other than that, nothing to note. Did they say exactly what is missing? I don't use any default user folder locations (my docs, mygames, pictures, videos etc are all on a separate partition, something everyone should do really as it saves hassle when reinstalling the OS in which case you simply point windows to the existing location. Never lose anything that way).

EDIT: double checked and my MyDocs folder is intact.

Wrong. More issues exist on win7 than on win 10 and lots of weird things happened on Win7 including files vanishing. Win 10 is the most stable and best performing MS OS to date. Win 7 was great but man, it's time to move on. I was very slow to migrate to 10 because I never like to go to a new OS, especially with how crappy 8 and 8.1 were. But once i did try win 10, 1 yr after release, I've never looked back.

If people listened to the crap that's said about "ughhhh don't go to windows 10 man blah blah" we'd still be using windows XP.

14. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    After all the testing this happens. Something went wrong clearly, but at least this wasn't available via generic windows update.

15. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Honestly if you aren't making a small partition for Windows only, and making a system image of it (even using the built in tools, mine is ~20gb), you are doing it wrong.

Maintain that small image (image once a week it takes 5 minutes), and any software problem can be fixed in 10 minutes tops. Just boot to F8 menu and fixed in minutes.

16. CaptaPraelium

CaptaPraelium Guest

GPU:
    Youre not talking about system restore are you?

What you're saying sounds good and all but I've not found a reliable method. Config files in various locations and formats, the registry, etc make it 'just not work'. System Restore is so famous for breaking things that I disable it.

17. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Best way is having everything important not on C drive.

Fox2232 and TimmyP like this.
  18. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    No i am talking about the mostly hidden system image option now "depreciated" in Windows 10 (its still there and I bet it stays)

run C:\Windows\System32\sdclt.exe

and hit "create a system image"

If you have a small SSD\Partition this takes minutes and saves hours of headache many, many times. Small partition\small OS SSD (still have an OG Intel SDD from 2010, 40gb)...Windows only (important apps too that arent 20gb)... back that up only. Takes 15 minutes tops to get back on your feet in ANY software scenario. Only takes minutes to create the image too (on a secondary internal storage or external).

EDIT: PS you can boot to recovery with f8 or just turning your system off about 3-8 times during windows load until it goes to recovery tools.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  19. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Is that koolaid or a fat wad of microsoft cash talking?

20. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Send me ANYTHING that can **** up my C:drive. Any virus, any malware. I will fix my system in about 12 minutes. Period. Guaranteed fix. Just lmk. Easily beats ANY Windows 7 fixes. Anything. You can send me a virus that ****s my SSD permanently, just send me a 40gb minimum SSD as a replacement, and I will be back in <15 minutes.