Intel I5 4690K Temperature

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Robox1, Jun 5, 2020.

1. Robox1

Robox1 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX670
    I mounted a 4690K with its stock heatsink on a Z87, bios settings by default. The case is open being a test. MX-5 thermal paste well applied and heat sink mounted correctly. T-amb 20 °.
    The temperatures in IDLE are between 34-40 °.
    In FULL (with prime95, IBT, Linx) they rise to 100 °.

Do you think it is normal for this CPU or is there something wrong?
    What could I try to do (besides changing the stock heatsink)?

2. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    DO NOT run (with prime95, IBT, Linx) and it will be fine, unless you need to run those programs for something. Also your AMD CPU never heard of it 4690K,is it some knock off Chinese Cafe model .

386SX likes this.
  3. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz

AMD CPU???? Chinese Knock off?

hahahhaaa, thats an Intel 4th generation CPU.. (HASSWELL)

Back to the Topic...

Yes, hasswell gets really hot when using AVX Load..
    Wich is what u are doing kinde, with Linx and IBT..

Having an Hasswell also, the i5 4670K...
    I did also use Linx to test if my CPU OC is stable.. and i reached 80C° @ 1.150 vcore.. (wich is my Max (AVX) Heavy load voltage.. normal voltage is around 1.090 vcore..

just use the Linx Benchmark ONCE!!! that should be enough.
    You could also use AIDA64 Stresstest with AVX enabled, that doesnt get as HOT as the other tools do...

The only way to get those temps down is less voltage or better cooling...

EDIT..

i just read that you are using the "STOCK" Heatsink..
    Of course, yes those temps are normal with this heatsink^^ But those Temps are not good to say teh least...

Like i sayd, get an better heatsink. There are good ones for around 40 - 70 €... And you can use this cooler for future CPU´s also that you will buy later.. So its an one time inverstment..

BeQuite Dark Rock is pretty good, Noctua, Alpenföhn....

ALpenföhn:
    https://www.alpenfoehn.de/produkte/cpu-kuehler

BeQuiet:
    https://www.bequiet.com/en/cpucooler

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
  4. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    Welcome to the AMD CPU board.

386SX likes this.

5. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    LOL I concur ,Welcome.
    You mean to say 4690K,is not some knock off Chinese Cafe model CPU,OH my am I embarrassed now

BetA likes this.
  6. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    I would love to get my hands on a genuine Intel™️ Chinese knock off. I bet it’s a rebadged Cyrix chip.

386SX likes this.
  7. bobblunderton

bobblunderton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2070 Super 8gb
    You've posted this in the AMD processors and motherboards section, it should be in the Intel processors and motherboards section.
    I had a 4790k for a few years, it was definitely a better heater than it was a computer. It hit 100C and shut the machine off 3~5 seconds into the first prime95 run with the stock cooler.
    Got a huge Phanteks TC14-pe cooler or something like that, think like a Noctua D14. Still ran hot up to 80C, but was tolerable.
    Delidded the processor, put liquid metal above/below the IHS, and set the lid back on without any glue (it'll stay if you're careful, but don't forget and go to take it out and drop the heat-spreader onto your video card, if your card doesn't have a back plate the heat spreader will hit it and brick it). This dropped temps 10~15C down to a tolerable range. Haswell processors are NOT soldered.

Prime 95 small FFT's will run with AVX instructions, this uses the Floating Point Unit in such a way, that it generates extreme heat, which is unrealistic compared to typical or even heavy usage. It's definitely worst-case, likely more worse than any worst-case scenario that I have been able to accomplish.
    So what can you do besides changing the cooler? Clock it down, keep it dust free, limit the turbo boosting of the chip to stock clock speed settings. Don't use 'multi-core enhancement' feature in BIOS.
    Changing the stock cooler might be the only way, as it's utterly useless, even as a doorstop.
    I would entirely recommend getting a delidder if you intend to keep it or if it's your main system, delidding it, putting some Thermal Grizzly on there that's non-conductive (liquid metal is conductive!), and getting any half-decent i7-rated Noctua cooler for it. The stock cooler WILL NOT DO! A hyper 212 evo might do, in a pinch, especially if that's all you can afford on a budget - but at that budget I'd wait and just try to get one of the old Zalman flower-shape coolers on sale as they regularly drop down to 25~30$ USD shipped periodically. They can and will ship you a free mounting kit if you send them your invoice for a recently purchased new cooler, if you should need one (many companies will, including Noctua).
    If you don't intend to keep it for long, just live with it for now, and consider upgrading to an AMD Ryzen 2xxx or better, a Ryzen 3xxx chip. Even a Ryzen 3300x 4c/8t chip will leave that old 4690k in the dust, and not take even half the power - and it comes with a viable stock cooler (not great, but it won't let it overheat bad like the intel one does).
    Intel stock cooler VS Haswell is like peeing on a grease fire.

8. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Haswell CPUs often had bad TIM under the heatspreader and there could even be a gap.

You have the refresh version so should be better but you'll probably shave 20 ... 30 degrees off by delidding, using liquid metal TIM (between heat spreader and cores) and replacing the stock cooler with something proper.

Mind you delidding can botch the CPU.

Whether it's worth the effort depends on what you'll want to do with the CPU of course.