Intel Core i7 4770K and Z87 chipset review [Guru3D.com]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 1, 2013.

1. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Maxed out, hotter, at the same frequency... it SHOULD be cooler.

And yes we have the nerve to "bitch" about Haswell because not only does it offer us no improvement, it's actually a step back since it can't overclock as much as Ivy. We don't give a crap about battery life in "ultrabooks" that use super low end power saving chips.

2. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    They didn't do it to save money, at 22nm and under, they aren't able to solder.

Intel's TIM has been proven to be as good as some of the best in the market.

3. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    No one using Desktop processor cares about Power saving. if they did they would of got a laptop. I sincerely hope Intel dont start trying to make an universal CPU, like MS tried and is still getting burned for there Universal OS (win8) for all devices.

4. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Overclocking voids your warranty and is not Intel's responsibility.

Instead of being grateful that they still throw us a bone in the form of the unlocked "K" series, all you guys can do is bitch about how you might get 0.2Ghz less overclock than the previous generation; while completely ignoring the complexity difference.

And you know what's crazy, is that they don't stop there in caring for the O/C community. They even offer a special protection warranty just for O/C in the event that you fry your CPU while overclocking, they'll send you a single replacement no hassle:

http://click.intel.com/tuningplan/

You "enthusiasts" need to realize that you are a friggin tiny speck on the market and that the world doesn't revolve around you. The fact that Intel (and AMD) are still going out of their way to help us overclock is something that we should be grateful for, not sit around and bitch about.

Intel achieved with Haswell exactly what the market is looking for. Look at the OEM laptops/ultrabooks and see how many are selling your vaunted AMD systems:

Dell: AMD 0
    HP: Intel 32/AMD 12 (with none of the AMD more than $650)
    Lenevo: AMD 7 (mostly "E" budget series)/ Intel several dozen

Even on the desktop the picture is bleak:
    Dell: AMD 0
    HP: AMD 8/Intel 35

Getting the picture?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2013

5. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Dude, its probably time you stopped talking.

6. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Why, because I don't subscribe to the whole "well if Intel/AMD didn't custom make the CPU to my wants, then they suck" line?

7. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Overclocking doesnt void the warranty.
    People do have a right to complain when the newer product isnt as desirable as the older one.
    Nobody has tried to offend you directly so there is no need to swear.
    Intel didnt achieve what the enthusiast crowd want, you seem blind to this.

8. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    OC has always void your warranty. and if they find you killed said product via OC you get no support. IT like that in both GPU and CPU world...

9. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Not true, they sell a K series chip for overclocking.
    The K series has no other market.

If they find you were irresponsible, they can revoke the warranty.
    Thats a different matter though.

10. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I do not give a rats ass about power savings for a desktop cpu. Chilin do you work for intel?

11. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Which is why Intel, in a very unusual move, offers its additional overclocking warranty for a mere $20-$35.

I understand the point of the "enthusiast" crowd, I myself overclock, but they talk about a processor that is both faster and uses less power like its the worst CPU architecture ever. A mere 4-9% overclock difference potential (theoretically, on average) while the CPU itself being 1-19% faster than the previous generation (while using less power) and complaining about this ridiculous.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2013
  12. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    The "K" series also (previously) came with Intel's highest launch speeds and highest performing iGPU.

13. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Yes, I work for Intel. They give me $5,000 a post on something positive about them on an internet forum, you should join. They also fine me $2,500 if I build an AMD system, like my folks HTPC.

14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    9-26% faster? Unless I misread a few of those graphs, there were a few cases where Haswell lost, even to SB....

15. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Well I am glad you work for intel, cus the only othrr explanation I could come up is a whack job caring that people bad mouth a specific line of cpus. Thank you for putting my fears to rest

16. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Doesnt make any difference whether they offer an extra warranty, if you want to be conned paying for it, thats up to you.
    When a product has an intended market, it has to be warranted for that market.

If the processor used less power then you would have a point.
    But for the same speed and production process, it runs hotter.
    For floating point operations its pretty quick, but that doesnt translate to much faster for most uses and in fact can make the processor slower when taking overclocks into account.
    Its certainly not worth splashing out cash on a new CPU, let alone a new CPU and motherboard.

17. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    You're right, I confused the numbers against Sandy Bridge.

The performance difference is 1-19%:

18. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    [​IMG]

19. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Unfortunately the warranty thing is true, to a certain extent. At least in the US it is. Our consumer laws aren't at strong as everywhere else, so Intel is pretty much free to cover what they want. Even though it's not on paper, Intel will not honor it's warranty if CPU dies to overclocking/overvolting. Even if it's a K series CPU. I have come across this quite few times helping my father in law at his PC shop. There has been a few times where a lucky CPU will slip past and get RMA. But that's why we tell the custom DIY'ers about Intel's Performance Protection Plan which we kindly pay out of our pocket. Some of them are aware of the plan,, some arent. At least if you got it, your CPU is covered under a no questions asked warranty for 3 years.

20. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It is more efficient in performance-per-watt.

And no one here is arguing about "splashing out on a new CPU or motherboard". Even if it was 35% faster across the board it still wouldn't be worth it. The discussion is about new buyers.