Intel and Microsoft release final Spectre Patches up to and including Sandy Bridge

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 15, 2018.

1. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Yep, that is what will happen, I've bookmarked the KB4090007 page so I can click on it when I like to see if Sandybridge has been included:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4090007/intel-microcode-updates

2. Apparatus

Apparatus Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 ti Vision OC
    Gigabyte also released new bioses for all(?) its Z270 boards as also for the Z170 gaming k3 board.

3. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    The vulnerabilities affect CPUs all the way back to Pentium Pro. Not sure about the original Pentium. I think speculative execution was not part of the original Pentium.

4. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    I have never heard of Microsoft altered already published KB. I would suggest that they just will publish new (cumulative) KB with microcodes for older CPUs (as well as ones from KB4090007). Anyway I will check this page instead
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4093836/summary-of-intel-microcode-updates

5. liesenberg

liesenberg Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1060 6GB
    I've read this article and I can confirm that the responsiveness on my work notebook after both WU and BIOS updates is terrible, watching a video on youtube in 720p while trying to do other tasks on a core i5-4210U its a painful experience and the system's overall performance feel very sluggish and its really annoyng ... If on my 875k I feel a very notable performance drop especially in games, I will also undo this nonsense.

6. hawk7000

hawk7000 Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti FTW3
    They have already done this for KB4090007 once, the initial version (1.001 in the table in the article) only had two variants of Skylake, now they have more Skylake variants and a bunch of the other *lakes (1.003 in the table in the article).

The KB4090007 article also explicitly states "We will offer additional microcode updates from Intel thru this KB Article for these Operating Systems as they become available to Microsoft.", so I think we can be pretty sure they will just continue updating it, as they have already done once.

Robbo9999 likes this.
  7. Apparatus

Apparatus Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 ti Vision OC
    True story!

The initial version had only two variants of Skylake and it was successfully installed in my Kabylake system.

Today I checked the Microsoft update catalog and I found out that KB409007 contains more variants as well as my Kabylake.

I re-downladed the update which was again successfully installed in my system.

https://imgur.com/a/knsAt

8. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Ok. We will see.

9. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Thanks for the read. Still I'm more curious about gaming performance, as I personally don't do anything but game on my system. Anybody gotten some new benches so far?

10. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Do AMD cpu's not need microcode updates?

For example the FX series.

11. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    Well, I've just updated the BIOS's for two of my Boards, AsRock Z77 Pro4-m (running IvyBridge CPU) and Asus P8H77-I (Running SandyBridge CPU), using the UEFI BIOS Updater Tool.

Will be flashing them tonight, and we will see what happens.
    Just hoping I don't brick the boards.

Why am I not doing the Windows Update way ? I just want to have the option to install whatever OS I like later-on...

12. Sergio

Sergio Guest

GPU:
    Asus 760 DirectCU II OC
    "If you are on Windows 7 or 8.1, you'll need to wait until your motherboard manufacturers if and will release a firmware update to patch the vulnerabilities."

They are slowly killing Win7? That's what all they want at the end? I don't know what to believe or trust anymore.... Stay away from KB4088875, they released a Monthly Rollup with so many known issues, listed as important? And now it's either unlisted or, listed but unticked?.. And if you uninstall KB4088875, it causes more problems?!

https://www.computerworld.com/artic...5-hopefully-as-a-precursor-to-yanking-it.html
    https://www.askwoody.com/2018/buggy...-kb-4088875-no-acknowledgment-from-microsoft/

I am on dual boot Win764 - Win10Pro and i am so tired of this.

13. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    On my Linux install, the microcode update for my Sandy Bridge CPU has been already rolled out and installed three days ago. What's taking MS so long? :p

Code:
    $ cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/spectre_v2
    Mitigation: Full generic retpoline, IBPB, IBRS_FW
    Your MSIs and Gigabytes and Asuses are not going to care about this and start updating BIOSes for our $90, 8 year old mainboards. I just can't see that happening. MS needs to ship this in Windows ASAP, like Linux distros do. "But, but, maybe there's stability issues..." It's better to risk some possible instability than allowing people's computers to be turned into botnet zombies or bitcoin miners.

The more time passes, the more ways to exploit the vulnerability are discovered.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
  14. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    I'm on skylake and still showing as unprotected with windows 10 1607 and all security updates installed.

15. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Yesterday evening i modded my BIOS and flashed to microcode 24 for my 4770K.

Today i ran into and issue with uBlock Origin not wanting to load Custom Filters. I tried a manul update to the latest uBlock, and updated Chrome, but nothing helped.

Guess what... it was the microcode for Spectre Variant 2 causing it.

I just flashed back to microcode 22 and it's all working fine again.

16. Apparatus

Apparatus Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 ti Vision OC
    Do you have the latest bios(3703) for your board ?

17. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    Good. Now I have a reason to push that 4.5GHz 2500k day 1 overclock (7 years in the making) further. I know she's capable of 4.8 but I'm thinking of going in balls deep at 5GHz.

insp1re2600 likes this.
  18. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    Nope but I was reading this as the update makes it so the bios update isn't necessary. I don't want to install the new bios because it makes my system completely unstable and ruins my oc. I'd only install it if this threat became something serious.

19. hawk7000

hawk7000 Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti FTW3
    Specifically wrt Spectre? Did you install an UEFI/BIOS update that has the updated microcode? If not, I would think that there is no way for you to have the updated microcode at this point.

The Microsoft delivered microcode update is still a manual download at this point and only available for the current Windows 10 version (1709).

Edit: See https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4093836/summary-of-intel-microcode-updates for links to relevant downloads

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
  20. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    Well the article says this
    So I'm interpreting it as; no bios update needed as long as you have windows 10 1607 and up. Hopefully I'm correct on that. So if there's only a patch for 1709, does that mean us on 1607 have to wait? If so, I'm fine with waiting.