Idiots at PC Stores

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Stromgold, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Stromgold

Stromgold Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1060
    Yesterday, I went to a tiger direct outlet store in Raleigh, NC since I was in the area already. My friend was with me, and he was looking to do some upgrading to his rig. He was getting a 2nd 9600 GT and upgrading his ram to 4 GB.
    The RAM is behind the counter, so we have to ask a store employee to get it for us. Anyway, he notices the 96 GT, and asks what we are using it for. I tell him that my friend is going to SLI it with his current 96 GT.
    Here's the funny part. The clerk looks at me with this "all-knowing" grin, and says, "You mean your going to Crossfire them."
    I say, same concept except ATI calls it cross fire and Nvidia calls it SLI. Again he looks at me, and says, "No, two 96 GTs only work with Crossfire motherboards." OMG... so I show him the SLI logo on the box, and ask, "What does this say?"
    His response: "Thats probably a misprint." :biggun:
    So I drop the issue. Can't argue with stupidity. We proceed to buy the RAM, and this same idiot tries to convince my friend that he needs PC2 4200 instead of 6400. WTF? :3eyes: He doesn't even have a reason for this.. he knows nothing about my friend's mobo.
    Where do these ppl come from? Why are they working in a PC store in the first place?
    What worries me, is that I'm sure some ppl go into the store, and just take these clerks advice because they don't know any better.
    I wonder how many ppl have been screwed by clerks like this. :bang:

2. K.I.T.T.

K.I.T.T. Banned

GPU:
    Pending...
    should have shot the fella

3. bamaboy

bamaboy Member

GPU:
    POW 8800 GTS 320mb
    He should "crossfire" his brains.

4. klambre

klambre Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5870@ stock
    I order all my parts through internet ...

5. RagDoll_Effect

RagDoll_Effect Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    LOL, now that's efficient employee management:bang::boozer:

he is probably so dumb that he might have thought you meant a radeon 9600 which was available years ago lol and back then they didn't even have crossfire anyways, he must be smoking something on his mobo lol

SLI - nvidia
    Crossfire - Ati/AMD

any numbnuts into computers knows that... lol

"that's probably a misprint", the only misprint is that clown you were talking to...:no:

Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  6. Stromgold

Stromgold Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1060
    I usually order online as well. I just hapened to be near the store and thought it would be convenient. Its almost worth the shipping wait not to deal with idiot clerks like this guy.

7. allup

allup Master Guru

GPU:
    2 X SLi 2070 Super
    As of late, anything with Tiger-Direct label = FAIL IMHO
    Especially clerks and sales advisers:banana:

8. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    Hehe people like theses make me not want to go outside.

9. masterchiefx2

masterchiefx2 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 280 Sli
    googles your friend

10. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Options:

1. Forget about it
    2. Post on Guru (nice one:thumbup:)
    3. Get chaps name and report to his company via a letter or email. Ask for a reply as well

11. Stromgold

Stromgold Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1060
    Maybe I'll just buy everything online just to avoid some idiot pissing me off. LOL
    Either that, or I'll just stop being nice and tell them to STFU and give me what I asked for. :realmad:

12. masterchiefx2

masterchiefx2 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 280 Sli
    tbh if that happened to me i wouldnt be angry id just pmsl

13. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    sadly this type of hardware ignorance isnt unusual in the retail realm...i could tell you plenty of stories about some of the retards ive seen giving advice at bb and the local pc stores.

14. Stromgold

Stromgold Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1060
    That's probably the right attitude to have tbh. But it just bugs me that:

1. This guy really thought he knew what he was talking about. He just had this look on his face like I was the idiot and he was "suffering" with trying to "help" me. I don't mind someone not knowing something, but I hate ppl that think they know it all, but are completely wrong.

2. This same idiot is talking people into spending their hard earned money on the wrong hardware all the time.

15. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    i see idiots everytime at Circuit city and Bestbuy.
    i just hope that guy doesnt pack merchandise for internet orders too.

was he a college age kid? i have the worst experiences with them, ignorant and stubborn about it.
    my worst experience was at best buy and this kid couldnt been over 18 but was insistant that a 580 watt psu was too much and would burn up the 7900gtx i was buying as well and insisted i cant go over what the graphics card required on box...naturalyl i argued then
    i finally moved close to him and said "i've been messing with computers when you were still a tadpole in your daddy's nutsak, trust me, this psu is what i want" and he finally shut up

i dont understand where they get their info from, maybe they get trained with misinformation by stupid boss's or something

16. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    I think at stores like that they should need a VGA card qualification or something lol.

17. Stromgold

Stromgold Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1060
    Dead on xrc6. :)
    I'd say about 19 years old or so, and Raleigh is a college town. So thats probably the case here.
    Though, I usually don't consider age a factor in most cases.. I know 15-16 year olds that know more about computers than this clerk.
    I think there should be a test or something to see if these kids are qualified to advise customers on something as expensive as pc hardware.

That is friggin awesome LOL :banana:

18. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    that reminds me when i went to STAPLES to get a wireless N usb2 card. guy asked me if i had a wireless g router and i said yes. "well then you will need to get a wireless g card then!"
    I told him I was getting the N card to futureproof myself as N cards still support B and G.
    he said something to the effect that it wouldnt work. I assurred him it would.
    getting pissed I told him just give me the card. i only need you here because it is locked in the case TY:bang:

19. M1ckY

M1ckY Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX260 Sonic 216SP
    Lol, yes those guys are stupid over here, too. I once read a test about it and it was too funny.
    Things like "I need a navi with maps for the eastern european region."
    "Oh forget about that, there is no such thing as a map for eastern europe!" :stewpid:

20. Rochin

Rochin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX460 EE 1GB
    I myself have had to venture into the real world from time to time. Fry's electronics here in Arlington is by far the worst place to have to go in a pinch. I blew a PSU and needed one(or I would go insane) so I stopped in to get one. Well the "salesperson" asks me what kind of system I am buying it for. I tell him I have a quad core system with a 8800gts and 8GB of ram. So he points to a 350 watt Antec that for some reason is 199.99 and says that is the one I want. Trying to be nice I told him that I needed at least a 500 Watt and a 600 would be better in case I upgraded my GPU later on.

He gets wide eyed and says "No one needs a 600watt PSU for any reason." Which is when I point to the 499.99 1000watt Antec and say "Then why do you sell them?" at which point he walks away. He came back before I had gotten the one I wanted with some other "salesperson" who tries to tell me that a 600watt PSU will blow my MB. So after trying to explain to him that both of them did not have enough brains to drive a car, I found the one I wanted and walked up to the register, at which point 10 other "salesmen" tried to "write up" my order so they could make some commission. Too bad I did not let them.

I agree there needs to be some test to sell computer products. In the rare times I need something now, I have to go and deal with people who must have gotten a job by random luck.