Help - 6800 GT

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by StrikeQ, Jul 17, 2004.

1. NvidiaFreak

NvidiaFreak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 7660D
    how much ram does your motherboard takes and the nvidia gart 3.66 they are the best no lag or nothing also check if u got the agp 8x and fastwrite on and sideband also. btw do u got sp2 because sp 2 lag on nvidia 3 150 and up motherboards.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2004
  2. StrikeQ

StrikeQ Guest

GPU:
    1080 Waterforce 2139/5500
    Where can i get gart 3.66? don't see it on guru3d. mobo can take 4 gigs.

3. gunslinger

gunslinger Master Guru

GPU:
    1 EVGA GTX titan 6gig SC
    Sounds like its the mobo. If the card runs in the other system than its got to be somthing else. Run everything at stock setting and if you have another system try the sound card ect. Like I said sounds like the mobo or an overheating problem. Hows the cooling system on your rig?

4. FNK

FNK Guest

GPU:
    XFX GTR 480 XXX
    Check you bios setting. Some options can make the system unstable, even HANG. My comp HAD this problem, resolved by not OC my CPU.
    Try it

5. StrikeQ

StrikeQ Guest

GPU:
    I'm not overclocking anything. Prime95 ran for 8 hours doing the torture test without problems. Pcmark04 goes all the way through without problems. I can play games like Counter-Strike and Empire Earth without problems. So far I've only experienced problems with FarCry and 3dmark.

My CPU stays around 15-25 C never been over 28 that I've seen. Vid card has never gone over 69 that I've seen, idles 58-64. Case idles around 35-40, seen it hit 49/50 after the 8 hour torture test.

6. ludde

ludde Member Guru

GPU:
    HIS 9800pro 128MB 420/380
    why have no one even mentioned RAM?
    one of your ram sticks can be broken. a broken ram stick can cause lockups, i have experienced it myself.
    a broken memory can work most of the times and just crash when doing specifik things, i ran with my broken memory for months without thinking about it.
    check your ram with memtest.
    http://www.memtest86.com
    you run it from a floppy disk at the startup so you better have a floppy drive :)

if you get errors its most likley whats causing the lockups.

7. PlayboyAdvance

PlayboyAdvance Member

GPU:
    PNY/GeForce 6800 GT/256MB
    Ludde, If you browse the previous posts you will note that I did mention he should remove all Memory modules except one in his search for the error. (And he should also switch the last one around to test them individually then)
    I don't know if the RAM check progs are 100% reliable, but sure, it's a good thing to do I guess.
    Since he has 4 modules, it could very well be causing him trouble. On an older Athlon system I could not get it to run reliably with 3 modules, but when I removed the last one it suddenly became very stable.

However... The problem he describes sounds a lot like the problems I've had on a couple of my older computers and most of the times it has been a problem with the AGP driver (chipset), some of the more obscure AGP settings in the BIOS (like AGP driving value), or simply a faulty part (mobo or GFX card). (Although he has nForce so it really should work fine with nVida GFX card.)

8. ludde

ludde Member Guru

GPU:
    HIS 9800pro 128MB 420/380
    oh sorry, i must have missed it.
    the program is for sure 100% accurat.
    it cant really be unreliable because of the way it tests the memory :)
    it reads and writes every single adress in the memory, quite time consuming, but worth it :)

9. StrikeQ

StrikeQ Guest

GPU:
    I don't have a floppy drive so can't run memtest. However by testing them 1 at a time and in different set ups I've found that all my ram chips are fine. But my DDR3 slot is broken. So now I am only able to use 2 ram chips for 1 gig as my mobo doesnt support using just 3 modules due to Dual Channel or something. Bought it from newegg so going to call them tomorrow to see what I can do about getting a new one.

10. ArChAnGeLv7

ArChAnGeLv7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA nvidia 7800GTX 256MB
    i'm too lazy to read through all the posts....but I had the same problem....downloaded dx9.0c and everything worked fine. try that. A few drivers incorporate ps3.0 instructions and they need dx9.0c or else you get errors.

11. PlayboyAdvance

PlayboyAdvance Member

GPU:
    PNY/GeForce 6800 GT/256MB
    I believe only FarCry 1.2 requires DX9.0c and it hasn't (officially) been released yet.
    FC 1.1 runs fine with DX 9.0b
    And of course the problems with 3DMark2003 are hardly related to DX9.0b vs DX9.0c....

12. StrikeQ

StrikeQ Guest

GPU:
    Hopefully tomorrow Ill work something out with newegg to get this board replaced. I know 1gig of ram is enough(all i can use in my board at the moment due to the bad DIMM slot) but I have 2 gigs here and farcry recommends 512-1gig and i like having more then rec.

Things seem to be running good for now, have 400/1000 speeds on the vid card, get like 12400 on 3dmark and average 80-150fps in farcry with all settings on very high. no af/aa I think though, or on low level.

13. kgee

kgee Guest

i had a very similar problem with far cry crashing and 3d mark not completing.
    gigabyte socket 754 mobo a64 3400
    i tried drivers n all sorts
    it ended up being ram voltage
    i upped the ram voltage in bios from 2.5 to 2.7 and been stable ever since.
    worth a try if all else has failed