GTX 970 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by ScoobyDooby, Sep 19, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Icanium

Icanium Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090TUF
    Idle temps depend on your fan profile. My custom fan profile is 0 RPM until my temp reaches 40°C, so my idle temp is 39°C.

2. Icanium

Icanium Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090TUF
    MSI 970 Gaming default is 0%Fan until temp reaches 50°C. What is your fan RPM for your 26° Idle temp?

3. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    My top one hovers in the mid 30s, my top one hovers around 40.. this is because I have no intake into my case, otherwise they would be lower. That's also because I've taken idle fan speed on both cards down to 1050-1100rpm. Supppppper quiet.

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Two tops GPUs, nice :D

5. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
    I pretty much tweaked my BIOS up since I wasnt a fan of 0dB mode and the slow cool down from 50C. So mine is sitting nicely at 30> on idle, think lowest I've see it i was 24C? and thats because it was cold in my room lol, load gets like 65C @ 1500/7800/1.2V and bench gets like 74C @ 1580/8200/1.25V.

I have it running 800> RPM on idle and then 1300RPM+ on load. So this is BIOS fan tables and not custom fan profile.

Took this Monday night lol, 29% = 670RPM (gotta love PWM :) )
    [​IMG]

Far Cry 4, 1080p max settings.
    [​IMG]

6. nanogenesis

nanogenesis Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X 1178|6350
    My fan profile is the default 34% limited @ 1600RPM. Will fiddle with bios tweaking for 10% fan maybe later, but I seriously have opened Maxwell tweaker and can't figure out what to change. My idles, lowest I have seen are actually 21c. No idea if I'm on crack, or the sensor is bugged. I do have an extremely well ventilated case. On load, stays 52-57c at locked 34% fan. If I let the fan free, I might stay below 50c. The only way it goes above 60c is overvoltage.

@The Phenoix, your card is similar to mine it seems, I have the 4C bios as well. Do post your overclocks!

Also I just remembered/realized the G1s have dual bios when you plug it into the other DVI connector, going to try that later and probably will flash the other bios to be safe, if at all.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  7. The Phoenix

The Phoenix Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3070
    so far havent pushed it much,just +87mv ,+112 pl ,+100 core which boost to 1492 ,+200 mem

8. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Sick temps man :) I'm at 74-78 degrees in FC4 (stock clocks). Sure, I got SLI but still :)

9. Goldie

Goldie Guest

GPU:
    evga 760 4gb sli
    fc4 heats up my gpus too, the furr and hair is worth it of course.
    cpu usage is very tidy and no thrashing.
    my hottest card will reach 80c, poor thing.

10. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
    Haha thanks, it doesnt really get that cold here in Florida and when it does its more like 40F/4.5C-50F/10C, so the 4x NF-A14 as intake/outtake really helps keep my small mATX Corsair 350D keep cool. I'm sure if I was in SLI I would be getting a jump in temps as well :p

11. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Lol oops.. Hahaha

12. Vipu2

Vipu2 Guest

GPU:
    1070ti
    What cases and fans do you have...
    I have MSI 970 and Antec P183 case with 2 x 120mm fans back to push air out only and my idle is at about 50C and load always 79C if gpu is at 99% use.
    With default clocks.
    ScoobyDooby you said also that you have no intake fans so how is yours so cool then?
    Is something wrong with my GPU or case makes that big difference?
    I live in finland so air temp here is not hot either atm. Around 0°C outside.

13. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    hmm that's odd.. I figure I probably run hotter than 90% of the users on these forums.

My setup only features the 6 fans on the two 970 G1 cards, and then 2x120MM fans that are exhausting the air in the case through the top (they are attached to the underside of an h100 radiator). And that's all I have, no other fans actually intaking any cool air.

Perhaps take a look at the cooler on your cards and make sure they are sitting properly.. also, if you're comfortable with it, even take the cooler off and make sure there is adequate paste.. it would not be the first time I've seen a card out of the box with too little paste, or the paste has dried.

14. Vipu2

Vipu2 Guest

GPU:
    1070ti
    Might be that too that im keeping my pc really silent so those 2x 120mm fans I have are not really pushing that much air out so might be that too dunno.
    Getting new case tomorrow with 140mm fan exhaust and 140mm intake + maybe these 1-2 x 120mm somewhere on bottom to push air to gpu etc so will see if I still have problems then I might need to take look at my gpu paste or send it back and get new but then I dunno if I want to risk getting coil whine version. hmmmm!

Hope its just my low air pushing fans that problem.

15. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Yeah definitely see what happens in a new case.

If you still have higher temps than what you think you should be getting, you can easily repaste the cards yourself.. no need to send them back, especially if they don't have any whine.

16. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Except MSI's have this warranty void sticker on the screw behind the card.

17. Vipu2

Vipu2 Guest

GPU:
    1070ti
    Tried to find some guides how to change paste to MSi 970 but didnt find any, cant be too hard?
    Just remove whole fan/sink thing from top and put new paste and put fan/sink thing back, done? Maybe remove some screws and stuff if there is.

I should not be this worried yet and should just see after new case but... have to prepare for worst.

I have had this 970 for about 2,5 months and if I had that 80-85C at load all that time and 60C in idle could that make paste get dry or when does it get dry?

18. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Could be, but more likely is that there just isn't enough paste for the heatsink to conduct properly or make decent enough contact with the die.

Its super easy to take off the heatsink. Just remove all the screws on the PCB and on the back plate (usually there is one or two) as well as on the actually spring bracket that holds the heatsink flush with the die.

Then, just pull the heatsink and pcb apart.. slowly.

19. Revs

Revs Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX970 2.0
    My shiny new GTX970 is due to be delivered any minute now! :D I'm upgrading from a HD7950.

Also, I've not posted here for almost 4 years so hi again to all and to any of the old nVn crew :)

20. nanogenesis

nanogenesis Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X 1178|6350
    Sadly this con is something not listed in any review.

@Vipu2
    I have a Corsair Carbide 400R with 3 120mm fans pulling in air, and 5 120mm (2 super low rpm ones) exhausting air. My GPU has a hard time going above 60c unless its beyond 1.237V, at 1.262V, even then it stays at 61, doesn't bulge. This is whilst locking the fans to 1600RPM/34%, not letting the fan curve kick in. Otherwise I actually stay around 52C.

@ All, well so I actually don't have a fancy smartphone, only a pretty low-end one I got in my last job, and never bothered buying a new one since it serves me well, so I present to you, the worst image quality on this forum:
    [​IMG]