GPU accelerated and enhanced x.264 MKV movie playback [Guru3D]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Is that a new MPC build? Looks like it...

What's KMP?

Last edited: Jun 5, 2009
  2. mlauzon

mlauzon Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970
    It's a nightly, if you look at my post you can get the link to it.

KMP is KMPlayer, it used to use it's own codebase, but now is built using the VLC codebase...if I remember correctly.

3. S_A_M_V

S_A_M_V New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Ati HD 4830 512
    Nice artikel on GPU video playback.

I've been tinkering with the settings of Mediaplayer Classic Home Cinema and come up with the folowing.

This is combination with an 4830 Ati Graphics Card.
    AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black
    Asus M3A78-EM Motherboard 780G Chipset
    4 GB DDR2 800 Buffalo Firestix
    Vista 32bit
    Mediaplayer Classic Home Cinema build 1.2.1137.0

First a little background.

Reason for needing 1080p playback is my new Canon HF11 Flash Camcorder.
    It records 1080p in 25fps progressive but stores this in a 1080i 50fps .m2ts
    container. Unfortunaly there are no tags or reference frames in this stream.

Mediaplayer cannot playback this stream and sees it as an 25000 fps video.
    Result 1 frame gets rendered and the rest gets dropped. However when i edit
    my video's in the software that came with the camcorder ImageMixer 3 SE. It
    creates a .m2ts file that is seen as a 25 fps stream and this is played with
    hardware acceleration at 50 fps in Mediaplayer. ImageMixer 3 SE did some
    pulldown on this as the timeline seams correct.

End result i need VLC for the direct unedited camcorder files. It plays them
    correct but at high CPU use. Once edited Mediaplayer can be used and CPU
    drops to 2%.

In order for this to work i needed to make some extra settings witch do not
    appear in the artikel. As Mediaplayer made full use of the GPU but output was
    choppy. It turned out i needed to disable VSync and enable Accurate VSync.
    After that playback was flawless with zero frames dropped at 2% CPU use.

For those that want collor correction and more go to your Ati Catalyst
    Control Centre and look under Avivo video settings.

Sorry for the long post but it may help some users that just can't get it to
    work. Disabling VSync in Mediaplayer Classic Home Cinema might do the trick.
    If not your video files may not have the necessary tag or reference frames
    needed for Mediaplayer to pick up the stream.

4. hochi1942

hochi1942 Member

GPU:
    Evga 7600GT
    with the mpc hc, anyone else having this issue,

If you toggle the pixel shaders and restart mpc the settings do not save and you have to toggle pixel shaders everytime

5. BBN

BBN Master Guru

GPU:
    Vapor-X 7950 3 Way Xfire
    done everything right under xp sp3 and still get 25% cpu usage !

6. mlauzon

mlauzon Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970
    Can we please get an updated article, for use with the nightlies, because it now has some more shader options?

[​IMG]

7. mlauzon

mlauzon Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970
    The lack of response from anyone from Guru3D is just so ****ing amazing it's unbelievable; they publish an article and just abandon it...really so ****ing beautiful!!!

8. p3ps1c0la

p3ps1c0la Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix 480 8gb
    Anyone know where I can find a tut that explains when the best filters for VLC is and how to used more than one at a time? Right now I'm just using De-interlacing (Yadif 2x) with OpenGL mode. For me using more than one filter at a time disables or messes up the video.

Edit: Also, 1080p works fine for me. Just enable "Drop Late Frames" and "Skip Frames" and that'll fix the stutter issues. It did for me.

9. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    Are you serious, mlauzon? I hope not.

This article was published in February of 2009 (!) in case you haven't noticed. So, in your opinion all articles ever published here at Guru3D have to be continuously updated whenever a software update/new driver/new hardware is released?

Please don't answer, btw. This was a mere rhetorical question.

10. deathvirus

deathvirus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 MaxQ 8GB
    Haha ... what an reply ... dude .. any article is meant to help you to understand the initial steps .. beyond a point U SHOULD learn to do things by own ... if u cant do that, then dont whine plz ..

11. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    I never really noticed this on my old PC with the 4850, but when I play videos with MPHC on the ATI 5770, it heats up as much as if Im playing a game! Is it really that much of a strain on the GPU? Is this because the 4850 had a single slot cooler and my current one has a circle heatsink?
    [​IMG]
    I added some Sythe RAMsinks across the memory and some across some mosfets.

Is it an ffdshow filter thats causing more strain on the GPU? I currently use Deinterlacing, Post Processing, and Picture Properties. After disabling those settings, temps dropped 5 or 7*C whoo?

Im just being picky here. I know the 5770 doesnt crap out until it goes over 85*C anyhow. I was thinking if it was a worth upgrading the HSF just to have a more silent pc for watcing things? Or should I just ignore all the heat coming from it and just watch my daym show?

12. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA

In the new (minor) software update there have been some new shaders introduced like a new sharpening mode and a new 0-255 mode to make the background black a little darker on monitors and HDTVs.

There's your update .. now **** off.

13. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    Hahah, classic :p

14. dockap

dockap Master Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 470 sli
    i tired these settings given in this thread now i have artifacts in windows media player while playing videos:bang:
    i am using windows 7 64 bit-any idea how to remove the artifacts ?:confused:

15. kool_moo

kool_moo New Member

GPU:
    MSI Radeon HD 4550 1GB
    Hi, I recently purchased a Radeon HD 4550 to replace my 4-year-old GeForce 7800GT specifically for the purpose of playing x264 encoded 1080p movies. I tried following this hardware acceleration guide, and while it has helped a bit, my movies are still slow and choppy (as opposed to barely playable with artifacts before). I can tell the hardware acceleration is working because the GPU and memory clocks shoot up to max when I play a video, but my CPU (AMD Athlon 64 3500+) is also running at 100%. Does this mean that even with the hardware acceleration, there is a CPU bottleneck? I figured an HD 4550 would do the trick but maybe not? Someone please reply with some tips. Thanks.

16. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    Maybe try another player?

like VLC or something.

17. kool_moo

kool_moo New Member

GPU:
    MSI Radeon HD 4550 1GB
    Sorry for not specifying. I originally tried with VLC and it's worse than Media Player Classic. It's not the player. I have tried VLC, MPC, PowerDVD, CoreAVC.. Everything gives me the same result. I know I've enabled hardware acceleration on the software but I don't think it's enabled on the hardware for some reason. When I used PowerDVD, I turned hardware acceleration on, and yet in the info section, it listed DXVA as "not in use". Is there something I have to do to make my 4550 turn on UVD?

18. Tares

Tares New Member

GPU:
    Gainward Radeon HD4850
    Something is messed up in your system or/and with configs. First of all, which system are you on ? If win xp, then it wont wokr because ATI drivers for that system are broken ;)

19. SnooSnoo

SnooSnoo Guest

GPU:
    Intel HD510
    Well, I can tell you that my experience was quite simmilar with my htpc. You can see my current specs on the left with the standard theme. I had an athlon 4050e before the athlon 2 and my experience was horrible. Now, before putting the athlon 2 in my htpc I used it in my main rig for a while and I can tell you that 1080p video playback when not using hw acceleration was way better on the main rig than is now in the htpc.

What causes this? That's the million dollar question, isent it? The only thing different between the bios settings on both mobos (HT speeds the same and so on) is that one is a ddr2 and the other ddr3.. doubt that's the culprit. I, specificly for my htpc, think there's something wrong with how the ecs mobo handles video output (using HDMI), but idk. It's all speculation on my part. Using the athlon 2 and seeing ati drivers evolve along with mpc-hc has brought major improvements in overall video playback. Most movies get dxva accelerated and the ones that dont, play pretty well.

I suggest you try the 4550 in a nother pc and see what happens. I think thats the best advice I can give you. gl

20. MavG3D

MavG3D New Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    so does anyone know of a way to either:

1) make a Media Center Remote Control work with MPC HC; or

2) achieve the same shader effects as outlined in Hilbert Hagedoorn's article using a codec such as Core AVC Pro or FFD Show?