GeForce GTX 980 Ti has 3072 CUDA Cores and 6GB of GDDR5

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 27, 2015.

1. orky87

orky87 Guest

GPU:
    R9_Nano
    When gtx980 was released most of what's happening now was already expected/predicted. What no one saw coming was the fact that the new TitanX would lose it's intended market purpose with that "semi-pro" moniker.

Once TI is released most of who bought the X will ether not care or buy again. There's no middle finger here from NVidia anywhere, it has been on the wall for us all to see for a long time and just because some one didn't check to notice doesn't make it NVidia's fault as they are only offering, the rest is on the buyer.

What I'm saying is either spend your money wisely or simply don't complain like it's a new thing. It's just funny to me how some so called NVidia die-hard fans, know so little about how their company of choice operates...

2. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Buy a Titan, then buy its upgrade and use the Titan for physx. :D SOLUTION!

Believe it or not, but in one of the virtual servers we host we have an original Titan that powers 3 instances of servers. They are still amazing in their compute performance for CUDA for example, and it takes a lot of power but it drives that power well with a total of 4 systems using it at once!

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  3. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    The people that could actually afford the Titan cards, aren't going to care if the GTX980Ti is faster. The only people that are going to be upset, are those that couldn't actually afford it but bought it anyway. Same as it was with the previous Titan card. Now, those that bought the 12GB Titan X, are already prepared for games that actually need more than 6GB of VRAM.....if the GPU can actually hold out that long.

4. red6joker

red6joker Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980TI Gaming
    Im not sure if this has been said or not, but this is usually what Nvidia does with its titan releases they overprice it to make the next step down look more appealing. Yes people buy the titan but more people will buy the next step down being in this case the new gtx980ti. Those kinds of specs though I would take with a fat grain of salt.

5. Pandelas

Pandelas Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 dual x
    So again are we gonna see Titans (1000$) beaten up by the Ti ($700)? Well played Nvidia, or the marketing department tho :p

6. holystarlight

holystarlight Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4090
    ohhh... don't say that...

7. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    It seems to be a working formula! ;)

8. Daftshadow

Daftshadow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3080
    granted this probably wont be the final or real specs but will might be close or somewhat similar. obviously nvidia cant make the 980 Ti a faster and overall better card than the Titan X. but i do see the 980 Ti giving AMD a run for their money with the launch of their 300 series. if the 980 Ti is reasonably priced given the performance we all think it's going to give, the 980 Ti will probably be the overall best gamer card for price vs performance.

9. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    2way SLI 980Ti MSI Lightnings... yeaaah buddeeeeh! :banana:

10. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    Dood: Overpriced Titan piece of crap.
    nVidia: New GTX 9000, it's more powerful than the last Titan at a lower price!
    Dood: That's more like it, what a steal at $700!

:nerd:

11. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    So how does 1 980 ti look compared to 970 SLI non overclocked? I would like to get one card.

12. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    It IS pointless, just like the 6gigs on the Vanilla Titan were as it was nowhere near powerful enough to use them in games.

Consoles have 6gigs available for graphics in their 8gig unified memory architecture. So even in terms of texture caching which we've been seeing in all those "dirty" console ports it won't run out of memory.
    Not to mention no FP DP on the new titan, which negates the original claim that titans are for pro work, then gaming.
    My poor "3.5" gig card and the 3gig 780ti my next door neighbor has don't run out of juice even on those caching intense games @1200p 16:10 (SoM, DAI, DyingLight) Well ok, I ran out of juice on max distance in DL, but thats just too many 4k tree shadows causing that, not the rest of the frigin textures.

Also, the regular 980 with a 100-150euro price cut is gonna be quite attractive..

13. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    I'm pretty sure that early adopters know about the risk's involved. If people can afford 1000+ for a gfx card then i'm pretty sure they can sell it on and buy anything newer or faster.

That's why i'm not an early adopter, one because i can't afford it but another reason is because they always seem to get screwed over.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  14. zimzoid

zimzoid Guest

GPU:
    2xEVGA980TiSC+(H20) Swift
    Now this would be a worthy upgrade from my 780s.

15. DLD

DLD Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060 6GB
    970 is still advertised as being a 64 ROPs card?

Or the list is in a bad need of updating?

16. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    And I might even look at it as well, compared to the 390X then.

17. guppysb

guppysb Active Member

GPU:
    2x 290x, Qnix 2710 100hz
    Wonder how a single one of these will compare to R9 290x crossfire. I am considering for games where crossfire profiles exist.

18. red6joker

red6joker Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980TI Gaming
    It would only be fair to compare these cards to the 390/390X when they come out.

19. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    If I'd have to take a semi educated guess, since it's all still rumor, I would say the performance would be equal...ish, or a tiny bit under 2x970s, but you get the bigger vram and you can always add another 980Ti. :)

20. guppysb

guppysb Active Member

GPU:
    2x 290x, Qnix 2710 100hz
    Completely agree, but.....I have a 290x right now. Wondering what the best bang for my buck would be when the 390x and the 980 Ti come out. Trying to get ready for GTA 5 and witcher 3.....which are going to be crazy GPU hogs. Don't know if it's worth upgrading to the 290x crossfire now or waiting until summer.