Gears of War 5

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Jun 11, 2018.

1. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
  2. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    0:47 Lara Croft in bulky armor, the game :p

3. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Kinda ok, hope it won't look so plastic again.. imo gow4 was plastic fantastic.. tried trial few weeks ago..

4. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    Eh gears of boredom, lest it looks like they tossing aside the mass effect two combat.

5. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    I liked the original GoW on PC. Then they went xbox exclusive and I stopped giving a poop :p Gosh, M$ annoys me to no end. You own Windows 10 and the Windows Store. Why the hell aren't you releasing these games on your own freaking platform?

6. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    you can play gears of war 4 on windows 10 , gears 5 will also be playable on w10

actually gears 4 is 50% off atm €20

7. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Yeah, I lost touch with the franchise years ago, when 2 and 3 were xbox only. So I don't really care about GoW anymore is what I'm saying.

WhiteLightning likes this.
  8. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    I'm excited to see what The Coalition has in store for us with Gears 5. Gears of War 4 was a good game, but it didn't break any new frontiers and was admittedly a safe re-ignition according to the developers. Gears 5 will be a different beast entirely:

[​IMG]

Gears 5 E3 leaked info

One of the things I love about the Gears games, is that they are showcases for the Unreal Engine, which in my opinion is the best gaming engine on the market. Gears 5 will definitely kick things up several notches, as the Xbox One X will have 4K 60 HDR for every mode whilst simultaneously increasing visual fidelity by a big margin, which is amazing! Just goes to show how powerful the UE4 can be in the right hands.

Gears 5 on PC will be even more ridiculous, and will likely be the game that prompts me to finally get an HDR monitor. I have my eyes on Doom Eternal and Gears 5 for the most technologically astounding games of 2019. Vulkan showcase vs DX12 showcase :D

Last edited: May 25, 2019
  9. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    unreal has it strengths and weaknesses.

10. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    Gears of War 4 was ok, didn't really like the forced horde mode sections in what was largely a forgettable campaign and the game play is starting to feel a bit clunky and dated.

It did look pretty though and ran beautifully, was a great showcase for UE4 and DX12.

Not sure i'll be bothering with Gears of War 5 however.

Last edited: May 29, 2019

11. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    I got it FoC...not sure why that happened, I think it was just a giveaway that I got from somewhere, somehow.

Game was OK, few glitches and it ran 100% - but in I think less than 15 hours, I had completed it and uninstalled it.

12. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Well of course it does, but I can't think of any commercially available engine out there that is as flexible, scalable and performant as the UE4. How many engines can do mobile at 60 FPS and scale all the way to open world on various platforms?

13. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Yeah I definitely agree with this. Gears of War 4 was too safe, but it was by design. For a series reboot, it did its job. But Gears 5 on the other hand will be taking the series into uncharted territory, offering much larger and more open ended environments and new forms of gameplay.

Yep, and with all the engine updates between the release of Gears of War 4 and the upcoming Gears 5, you can expect Gears 5 to look and perform even better.

I predict that you will purchase the game :D

anxious_f0x likes this.
  14. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    I enjoyed Gears 4, and so... looking forward to Gears 5.

So long as it's not another 100+ gig game... because the Win10 store does not do large downloads well.

15. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    I'll wait for reviews and the opinions of you guys before I purchase, or i'll immediately cave and purchase day one :D

Carfax likes this.

16. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    id tech is generally pretty scalable lest carmack could run rage on a phone. shrug.

and i want to see what amazon can do with cryengine aka lumberyard. they sinking a ton of money into it. And cryengine certainly is up there in terms of visuals.

17. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    That was a tech demo if I recall. The closest the IdTech engines have ever been to running on mobile for shipped titles would be on the Nintendo Switch.

That said, IdTech currently cannot do open world.

Yes CryEngine is a great engine as well and very powerful, but as I said before, UE4 beats it hands down in terms of flexibility and scalability. Show me a game as complex as Fortnite running on a mobile phone at 60 FPS:

XenthorX likes this.
  18. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Wait, what?

Please clarify.

19. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    What I mean is, that the current version of the IdTech engine is not designed for open world games. To do open world games, an engine has to be designed with that purpose in mind. And I don't just mean from a rendering or asset loading perspective, but other things like quest/objective handling, NPC A.I, weather effects and a whole bunch of other stuff.

If IdTech could handle open world, then Bethesda never would have collaborated with Avalanche studios for Rage 2. They would have just used their own in house IdTech engine rather than Avalanche's Apex engine, which is much more suited and optimized for open world games.

That's not to say though that IdTech could never do open world. I'm sure that it could, given the appropriate engineering effort. I actually hope to one day see an IdTech based open world game.

20. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Well...the original Rage was open world and handled everything you listed, just not especially well with its mega textures.

Regarding Bethesda...they published it, and they just saw what Avalanche did with Mad Max and said 'go for it'. I strongly suspect Avalanche just wanted to use their own engine because it would have been the path of least resistance for them. Pretty simple. Why waste months learning another engine when you got a studio fully versed in your own engine?

Game engines, at their core, just execute code. With that in mind, to say a game engine cannot do something just means the code hasn't been written yet. Expanding that point, look what Respawn Entertainment accomplished with Titanfall 1 & 2 and of course, Apex legends; with the source engine.

It's kind of ironic, as Valve tried adding a Battle Royale mode to CS:GO, but had to design the terrain with obvious cuts for memory reasons.

I would find it amusing if Valve ended up back-licencing what Respawn have done, to use the code in CS:GO. I don't think that would happen, as rumour has it that Valve are pushing hard for a full release of a new variant of the Source3 Engine to coincide with HL3, TF3, LFD3, Portal3, Dota3.

But that's just a rumour based on the recent hiring pages of Valve.

citation.
    citation.