G-sync question.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Bendy52, Jun 22, 2017.

1. Bendy52

Bendy52 Guest

Hi guys:

I have been using a 144hz g sync display since a month or so.
    i used to have the default settings in Nvidia CP and they are:

Gsync enabled
    V sync application controlled

and in game v sync off and frame limiter at 141 fps.

Today i noticed a flicker in CS GO and made sure that the frame limiter was working fine, but the issue persisted.

i start reading about g sync and some said that Win 10 CU made it broken, even that its been fine for me, some said a fix is to use high performance power plan which i already did.

then i remembered that some used to say that you need v sync to be enabled in Nvidia CP but not in the game.

when i do that i thibk its active again.

but its strange that the games were running with g sync before regardless of the option in Cp as it was default.

and shouldnt g sync be able to operate regardless of v sync in case the frames were under the display max hz ?

2. Steppzor

Steppzor Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Ventus OC
    Would not recommend using G-SYNC for CSGO.

1. Slight input lag.
    2. You want to achieve max fps in CSGO

Personally i use V-sync off and G-sync on for all other stuff.
    For CSGO have v-sync and g-sync off and use ULMB.

3. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I believe G-SYNC works regardless of whether V-Sync is set to On or Off in the NVIDIA control panel global profile. However, by setting it to On you basically cap the framerate to the maximum refresh rate you are using otherwise if it is Off and the framerate exceeds it then you will get screen tearing.

I've only had a G-SYNC display for three weeks (ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q) but initially I was running it with V-Sync at the default Application Controlled in the global profile and V-Sync obviously disabled in the games. I also have the G-SYNC indicator enabled and the FPS counter from the monitor options to check it is working in games. I only noticed screen tearing in a couple of games with these settings and both of those exceeded the 165 Hz/165 fps of the display, e.g. Mafia 3 in-game ran fine because it was always below 165 fps but it tore heavily in the menus which ran at over 200 fps.

I've now set V-Sync to Fast to allow uncapped framerates over 165 fps without screen tearing, only to see how fast the games I am playing can run (even those at 4K using DSR!). I may switch back to setting it to On though because in some games it seems to introduce some very slight stutter over 165 fps but that is just how Fast V-Sync works (it basically skips unfinished frames and only outputs completed ones to avoid tearing).

4. Bendy52

Bendy52 Guest

I'm fine with the very small amount of latency the g sync add to CS GO.

its way smoother for me when it was running fine.

5. Bendy52

Bendy52 Guest

Aha then I have something wrong definitely in my PC cause I'm sure it was working with V sync controlled by the apps in NCP.

suddenly its not anymore even with frames limited under the screen 144hz.

6. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    If you want to make sure g-sync is always active and there's no issues, enable vsync in the nvidia panel, disable vsync in-game, and use fps_max to 3FPS below your refresh rate.

This has been determined as the best setup.

Note that disabling vsync does not make sense with g-sync, unless you want tearing.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  7. Bendy52

Bendy52 Guest

so i was right, G sync must work along side V sync from Nvidia control panel right ? but not the in game sync ?

still feels abit strange that it was working just fine till yesterday even that in control panel it was selected let app decide not V sync on.

and im sure it was working like a charm.

8. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    It can work just fine with in-game vsync and nvcp set to application preference. But this suggestion is for the cases where it creates problems (not very common, but it can happen.)

No idea why it would work fine one day and then stop working the next. I never used in-game vsync myself; I disable it in-game and always have it forced on in nvcp instead. That always worked perfectly.

The only thing I can think of is that you had it enabled in nvcp but then changed your g-sync configuration ("Set Up G-SYNC" section in nvcp). When you do that, the vsync setting is reset. When you change anything in the g-sync section of nvcp, you always need to go back into the "3D Settings" section and re-apply the vsync setting.

There are however a few games where you need to enable in-game vsync to bypass 60FPS or 120FPS frame caps. Dishonored 2 is one example, where it caps to 120FPS if you disable in-game vsync. Which is fine (120FPS is my personal maximum; I don't want to go higher), but it shows that in some rare cases, in-game vsync must be used to get unlocked frame rates.

This an exception to the rule, of course. Usually, it's in-game vsync that can potentially cause issues, not solve them. The suggestion of "disable in-game vsync, enable nvcp vsync" is the general recommendation to get the best results in the majority of games out there. But there can be exceptions to it.

9. Bendy52

Bendy52 Guest

Nop I meant that since the day one I didn't touch Nvidia control penal settings just made sure G sync was active.
    and in game was always v sync off and Frame limited to 141.

suddenly g sync stopped working.

and I hade to go and read about that its best when V sync is active in NCP along side it.

but honestly I feel like now in CS GO every 1 min or so the game sutter for a few mil sec you still can feel it though.

and I feel for a reason or another that the response of the server is worst now.
    I mean I had few moments where my ping was 19 and still the servers didn't register more than 3 shots out of 6 on the enemy.

what I'm saying is I'm sure the game is not as smooth as it was now even when V sync is on in NCB.

10. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Are you 100% sure g-sync is active? To verify, you can enable the g-sync indicator in the nvidia panel (it's one of the menus in the panel, I think "Display"?)

After you enable it, when you start a game, a transparent overlay will be shown saying "G-SYNC On" if g-sync is actually enabled.

11. Bendy52

Bendy52 Guest

Yes I did enable the indicator to make sure, and for some reason it shows active even when I make the screen go over 144 frame !

12. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    That's normal. The indicator just verifies g-sync mode is enabled, not whether your frame rate is currently below max refresh or not.

Well, I have no idea then what would be causing issues. Maybe some other software on your system is running amok or something.

13. Bendy52

Bendy52 Guest

Yeah man PC gaming these day is becoming a pain in the as*.

conflicting and issue every where.
    I only have the same software as I was using before.
    I even tuned some of them off just in case.
    I feel it might be the NVidia driver, but again I've been using it for a month or so.

14. TheWahoo

TheWahoo Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1080 Hybrid
    Completely agree with this. I keep v-sync off globally and enable fast-sync per game when necessary to prevent tearing. Best of both worlds IMO but I'm not a competitive gamer so YMMV.