Forceware 177.40 + 2D/3D seperate OC with Rivatuner

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by PKOneTwo, Jun 26, 2008.

1. jimmor

jimmor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA8800GTS 512Mb
    177 series drivers are "betas" which are specifically orientated towards gtx200 cards, not 8800gt's ?

Maybe you should stick with drivers that properly support your 8800gt, like the 175.80 I currently have few problems with ---> and that includes appearing so far to have no real 2D/3D switching issues?

Just for interest, I discovered that the Xpertvision 8800gt Sonic+ 1024Mb card also has seperate 2D/3D modes. In my opinion however, this card is even worse than yours since 2D speeds are 600/1500/500; with 3D speeds at 600/1500/900 ---> definitely not a proper 2D mode?

Appears that 2D/3D switching in 8800gt 1024Mb cards essentially comes down to nothing more than changing Memory speeds ---> Personally I can't think of a reason why any manufacturer would bother introducing such a worthless 2D function ?

Of course, maybe limiting the range of changes involved with 2D/3D switching was the only way to ensure seperate 2D/3D operations would work reliably ----> could be somehow related to my past recollection that seperate 2D/3D modes was not allowed with G92 based 8800gt's because such a capability was determined to be "unreliable in its operation" ?

With your particular 2D/3D issues, maybe you should also consider modding your card's bios in order to disable 2D mode altogether ---> or effectively stop any switching by modding the bios to set 2D and 3D speeds at same levels?

:)

Last edited: Jun 27, 2008
  2. Hanky Man

Hanky Man Member

GPU:
    MSI HD6950
    Thanks for the help I'll completely reinstall riva and stuff that has to do with my card and I'll look after my BIOS
    BUT after I restarted, everytime I start a 3D application the card goes to 3D for 30 sec and then to 2D for some sec and back to 3D..... (30s look like a timeout somehow)

PS: Is BIOS flash possible with vista64 or shell I do it in DOS?

3. jimmor

jimmor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA8800GTS 512Mb
    Much safer to do all Bios flashing in DOS !

;)

4. PKOneTwo

PKOneTwo Active Member

GPU:
    Gainward 9800GTX+ OC 512M
    Yeah, DOS Mode is best way...USB or CD/DVD boot

5. Hanky Man

Hanky Man Member

GPU:
    MSI HD6950
    Oo I did everything and the result is nothing :bang: . Reinstalled every nvidia driver (yep with driver sweeper) and rivatuner - still the same issues.
    The strange thing is that is seems to work differently betewwn games. Call of Duty 4 seems to work fine but well nothing else.
    And I'm worried if I change the 2D frequencies because of the low voltage in 2D mode (0,95V compared to 1,1V)
    Goddammit....

6. jimmor

jimmor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA8800GTS 512Mb
    How do you know that 2D core volts is 0.95v and 3D core volts is 1.1v ?

Gainward 8800gt GS 1024 Bios version 62.92.16.00.04 (which has options for 0.95, 1.00, 1.05 and 1.10v) doesn't actually show anything set for Core volts ---> which usually means it's just preset at maximum for card. So if using the same Bios version, and allowing for your 650MHz 3D Core level, it would probably mean your card sets 1.1v for both 2D and 3D?

7. Hanky Man

Hanky Man Member

GPU:
    MSI HD6950
    I'm sorry I'm not that in to Bios Modifications
    It just seemed a little like its 1,1 for 3D an 0,95 for 2D
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I'm kinda confused now so don't take it serious if my observation wasn't correct ;)

8. PKOneTwo

PKOneTwo Active Member

GPU:
    Here is a solution for you:

you can enbale in Rivatuner thyt your card ALWAYS stays in 3D performance Mode!!!

Rivatuner -> Power User -> Nvidia - Overclocking - EnablePerfLevelForcing -> make 1 there..

You can also google after that parameter...
    Yozur problem is really weird (i have the same card as you and not the same problem, it mnust be some software issue), but try that..it keeps the card in performance level (3D mode)

9. PKOneTwo

PKOneTwo Active Member

GPU:
    PS: it IS 1.1 Volt in 3D performance Mode...this has been discussed on in a german forum in about 50 pages...suit yourself if you like ;-)

10. jimmor

jimmor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA8800GTS 512Mb
    You NiBiTor "VID mode" image is showing available core volts selections for that particular bios. Actual selected Core volts are shown under the "Exact Mode" tab !

Last edited: Jun 28, 2008

11. PKOneTwo

PKOneTwo Active Member

GPU:
    @Hanky Man: How high is your GPU, Shader and Video RAM in 3D? are they stable (no artifacts iin Atitool or games)?

12. jimmor

jimmor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA8800GTS 512Mb
    The NiBiTor image of Hanky Man's posting, shows available Bios "mode" options as "Extra" (new to 8800 series), "3D" (which is Performance 3D), "Thrtl" (which is Low power 3D) and "2D" (which is just standard 2D).

Performance 3D is at 0 (Zero, and therefore unused), and that's because a 8800gt presets it's 3D values using the new "Extra" programmed option.

Which means that the Rivatuner "EnablePerfLevelForcing" option should not allow forcing to "Performance 3D" with a 8800GT !

With a Gainward 8800gt GS 1024Mb card, it would however allow Forcing to "standard 2D" ---> but only worth using if you could actually overclock 2D to whatever high levels you wanted 3D apllications to run at ?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2008
  13. PKOneTwo

PKOneTwo Active Member

GPU:
    Your right. I haven't seen that.
    But hey HankyMan: perhaps thats your problem at all: Is this option active? If Yes, dectivate it.

14. Hanky Man

Hanky Man Member

GPU:
    MSI HD6950
    I have 700MHz Core 1760MHz shader and 1050 (2100MHz) on memory. Those frequencies are working pretty fine and i hadn't had any artifacts at all.
    EnablePerfLevelForcing set to 1 didn't work like you have already been discussing it and it also wasn't enabled.
    So is there any way of enlarging the range of possible memory frequency in rivatuner in 2D mode so that the 2D slider shows the max memory freq like the slider in 3D?

15. PKOneTwo

PKOneTwo Active Member

GPU:
    hmm, ok: i only got 2 suggestions for you:

revert back to old drivers (where you thught everything was working fine, like 175.16 (don't take the 175.19)

or

flash your card with your cards bios again...

apart from these I don't have any solutions, yet...

16. Hanky Man

Hanky Man Member

GPU:
    MSI HD6950
    Alright tested it with UT3 and it's the same with it: first goes to 3D mode and after some secs to 2D mode and then like it does after every game after i closed the application it goes back to 3D for 30sec.

17. jimmor

jimmor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA8800GTS 512Mb
    Ok, if you are up to the task of flashing your card with another bios, linked below is a version of your card's bios which has been modded to remove 2D/3D switching issues ?

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=81243&d=1214726920

With this bios, there should be no 2D/3D switching. Meaning your card should only operate in "performance 3D" mode ---> which is the standard for every other 8800GT type !

Last edited: Jun 29, 2008
  18. PKOneTwo

PKOneTwo Active Member

GPU:
    By The way: the BIOS you've linked IS EXACTLY the same of mine (and seems to be the same of the picture HankyMan have uploaded).
    It isn't modded in any way.

19. jimmor

jimmor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA8800GTS 512Mb
    You should try the bios before making negative comments on something you obviously don't understand ? :rolleyes:

;)

Last edited: Jun 29, 2008
  20. PKOneTwo

PKOneTwo Active Member

GPU:
    I think you should better rethink your way of getting your "Information" and better than that: BUY yourself the SAME card, which you OBVIOUSLY didn't have had und hasn't !!!

and By the way: I save my Bios with GPU-Z, opened it, opened YOURS and SEE: they are the same (exact same config) and my Bios wasn't modded...
    tell me if I'm wrong, but pretty seems to me that its completely the same...in this case: You dont got it :)