First details of Chrome OS revealed. Fail.

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by racofer, Nov 20, 2009.

1. racofer

racofer Guest

GPU:
    HD6950 2GB Twin Frozr III
    http://www.geek.com/articles/geek-pick/first-details-of-chrome-os-revealed-20091119/

:D this is ****ing priceless!

2. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Wonder how long it'll take to get it running on our machines, and not just preinstalled.

3. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    I wouldn't exactly call it an OS.

4. chanw4

chanw4 Guest

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX6800XT SE
    Looks like it is just a OSless browser... But then, their target is right on, those who bought eeePC doesn't really care about the other stuff and this Chrome OS suited them very well I suppose.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2009

5. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    Well that's virtually all it is.

It's just a browser, never gets updated, runs web content, no programs. Only runs off Flash hardware.

I think it's going to be pretty limited App. I think if they wanted to do anything, they could of extended Android.

This seems like a waste of time to me.

6. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    Intel's Mobline boots in 10 seconds, sounds pretty much the same difference as Chrome

WTF? then its no longer a "Netbook" but a typical "Notebook". Netbooks are popular due to cost and small, light portable size. its about simplicity of basic needs required by most users who want portability. So if Chrome is a simple basic OS (aka browser) then why put it on Notbooks? Specific Notebooks at that....did Steve Jobs go work for Google?
    Apple definitly is involved in this.

On top of that, Windows 7 runs extremely well on my MSI Wind netbook (2gb ram) so theres a fully featured OS vs Chrome's very,very limited OS and boots quick enough, probably 30 seconds but i never counted.

7. demented brave

demented brave Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4090
    I'd buy that for a dollar.

8. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    i don't know Finch, maybe this could be important to some people who don't run programs or do anything but running web content with something like Vodafone USB Internet etc.

personally i've never expected ChromeOS to be a proper os, i knew it would be a very limited piece of software, afterall this isn't Micro$oft or Apple, it's Google.

2 things are going to happend, either its going to be very successful or an epic fail of massive proportions, i say the latter is the most likely scenario.

the ball is out there, i say let it rollol :D

9. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    But it's just a web browser.

Why not just have some other base OS and then have that ontop of it. At least it's more flexible.

10. SolidBladez

SolidBladez Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti OC
    Serious? Well there goes the ability to run it on slower computers.

There goes my backup computer. :biggun:

11. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    hmm, on second thoughts i think you're right. :banana:

12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    My EeePC (chose it to replace my Acer laptop) boots into XP very quickly...much faster than I expected. Will be switching it to Win7 soon enough....just have to image the harddrive for warranty purposes. I personally wouldn't touch ChromeOS. I use Chrome for these forums and newegg...that's all. I also prefer to have all of MY apps and files stored on MY pc...not "in the cloud" where someone else has the potential to lose all my data. I trust myself more than I trust google. Also, who really wants an OS that's locked down??? I want the freedom to configure how I see fit....

13. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    This might be interesting to me. I have a Dell Mini 9 that is currently running Snow Leopard and the only reason that is on there was to mess around with OSX since I haven't used a Mac since 5th grade.

Honestly the only thing that computer gets used for is surfing the web while I'm watching TV anyway so it would be ok with me.

14. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    For a transition period that might be the right and perfect way to go.

Ultimately I think though that such a "cloud" based OS is going to be more or less inevitable and probably the future in regards of OSes.

Some part of the OS is always going to be on the client/user side of course but to which extend is probably debatable.

15. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    I don't think Cloud will take off too much for OS's.

I mean sure, makes it easier to manage, there is subscription type system, which sucks, and if for some reason your Internet go's down or the cloud has issues you can do jack all work.

That's why standalone OS's are far better. They can integrate with Cloud services definitely, but not completely run on them.

16. Xendance

Xendance Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    So with this my computer would be as slow as my internet connection? What's the point of having an SSD for storage if you just store everything "in teh cloud" using a a lousy 1 Mbps upload speed at best? (ok, I have 10 Mbps upload :F)

17. dshramek

dshramek Guest

7 runs extremely fast on my Eeepc 900a with 2g ram. Boots in around 12 seconds(I have a fast ssd, though) & apps open almost instantly. It also runs Aero flawlessly.

18. live4life

live4life Banned

GPU:
    Asus EnGTX295
    i think will be great plus if chrome has ad blocker finallyyyyyyyyyy

19. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    Are you saying that it has an Ad blocker now? Or they are working towards it.

20. live4life

live4life Banned

GPU:
    Asus EnGTX295
    the is no official release ....other m8s try to make somes...but the let it with no support i search all the net to find one but with no luck....i really the chrome but with the ad blocker and crap cookies is useless to me...