Finally upgrading to Quad :D

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by soul8103, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    i did say anything to u my friend :). i just say as u quote "have fun ;)" .nothing more. i said that what i wanted to that guy.

2. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    HIS HD4870/Samsung2343BWX
    Call me stupid, but I don't see any hint of a flame towards anyone in my post. Perhaps you should work on your reading and comprehension abilites.

3. soul8103

soul8103 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8600M GT
    Harr i have a bmw M5, my pride n joy, but anyway on topic

Stuff came today, gonna assemble later. Will tell you how it goes :)

EDIT

What a biotch, the motherboard is faulty. As in 1 of the small parts has fallen off. Not even gonna install it as im pretty sure it wornt work. Already getting it picked up tmrw for the RMA service. Well looks like another 10 days or so until I can test this stuff. Nvm, I dont mind waiting. Atleast scan is awesome when it comes to RMA..

Last edited: Aug 13, 2007
  4. Boing

Boing Banned

GPU:
    XFX 7600GT XXX

i only live 10mins away from scan so ill be picking my stuff up, its usually me that gets the faulty gear. :)

5. Fusion_XT

Fusion_XT Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 X 2139/5400

Haha !, a Quad @ 28.5c ( I would have believed that if your were using WC ) but sorry too burst your bubble m8, but your Quad is @ around 47C idle ( between the cores, Tjunction ) Load it will prolly reach 65C ...ouch.

Just for a comparison...

This is my Quad @ 2.66Ghz with a Zalman 9700 - 1900 RPM

Idle -
    http://img103.imageshack.us/img103/4932/quadidle123vdn1.jpg

Load-
    http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/6852/quadload123vtx9.jpg

Download Coretemp 0.95 and tell me your real temp :D

As you can see in Everest there are 5 Core temp readings : CPU,CPU#1 etc... , the CPU reading is what your mobo is reading when you acces your bios.
    My Quad should be 19C then, kinda odd dont you think.... its 22C in my room atm !
    The 19C temp is a reading from the very top of your Quad ( were you put your cooling pasta ).The actual temp is the one between your cores, thats the temp you should keep as low as possible.

I have some healthy temps for a slighty clocked Quad, even my board is at 31C :D, I love my Antec Nine-Hundred ;).

So anyone with a Quad and wanna know his/her's REAL temp, down Coretemp !

Last edited: Aug 16, 2007
  6. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    I tried installing Coretemp, but it kept giving me errors whenever I clicked on it and it just refused to run. I don't really care, as long as everythings working okay. ;)

7. soul8103

soul8103 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8600M GT
    Well my new replacement mobo came today. Everythings installed and up n running now. Vista home prem x64 feels great now. Really proud of this sys. Did some stress testing and cpu temp never surpasses 48C which im pleased with. Not gonna oc till i need the extra performance, and right now i really dont so not gonna bother. Boot times are now almost instant (still have to wait for xfi to activate during boot which is the only relatively small waiting period (around 5 seconds.. lol). I'm glad i went with the enermax psu and dominator ram. This psu is so damn quite you just cannot hear it... Everything seems rock solid and scan were freaking awesome with their rma service. Ran 3dmark to check temps but didnt record score. May do that later. Now bring on bioshock :D..

Last edited: Aug 20, 2007
  8. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    How's that Evga MB? I'm getting a little tired of problems that Asus boards seem to encounter - especially BIOS issues! :bonk:

9. soul8103

soul8103 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8600M GT
    It's a dream mate. Its quite, v stable and the bios is very user freindly. Throughly reccomended./ Although the first 1 i got was faulty which is a shame, not sure about evga's quality control.., hopefully it was a 1 off. But that asside it really is a beast mate and performs for the price paid. With the SLI ram set up now and the bios update the entire system is extremely responsive. So tempted to OC but i think i'll have to keep my sensible hat on as theirs really no point right now... :)

10. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    Well; I think I'll hang on to what I've got for at least a year (yeah...right!)
    Computer technology is progressing at a steadily increasing rate and therefor; these are really exciting times! Think about the changes from just 5 years ago!
    The only components left that I want to upgrade are: My DVD drive (the LG's just too damn noisy - and I don't think Vista likes it much); I'd like to get one of those WD 500gb drives (great reviews) and a 24" high-res LCD would be nice. Other than that - I'm good to go. :supercool:

11. soul8103

soul8103 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8600M GT
    heh I coulda dropped another 600 quid to 1000 if i wanted to ontop of what i paid with my current salary. But I would rather spend that on going out, my gym, and other daily activities that I spend far more time with then my comp. The only reason I upgraded really was to give my old sys to my bro who really needs a decent one, and my athlon based system is still a great performer (if you dont game at all, which he doesnt). I was so tempted to go SLI gtx's and sell my gts, but in the end its all just pointless expenses, esp in this current dry period of gaming.

I would have gotten a new monitor if i had the space on my desk but I done (have selves and spaces infront of my desk and the monitor space isnt big enough for a 24 incher...

Hope you get your upgrades and have fun with em :)

12. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    Thanks. :cheers:

13. soul8103

soul8103 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8600M GT
    Decided to OC my proc lol. Couldnt control myself. Hit 3.0hz really easily. Vcore is at 1.37v, I know its a tad high but hey temps arent going over 55C (scythe infinity) on all cores. Could prob push 3.3-3.5 i think if i put lots of effort in. Then again 3.0ghz is more then enough really..., on 4 cores.....

14. sidret99

sidret99 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 8800Ultra on Dell 27
    I hope I can OC my quad up to 3.4 for 24/7 with the scythe infinity but looks like then it will be to loud so maybe I'll step up again to watter, this will be the only way get it silent and cool enough for 24/7
    Good Luck

15. soul8103

soul8103 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8600M GT
    My infinity is damn quite, can hardly hear it. Although I live in the city so i guess its noisy anyway. On the other hand its by no means silent. I think 3.4 is definately reachable. 2 goes and I got this speed stable (second time just took down the vcore from 1.4) and its stable. Corsair dominator ram is running at 888mhz so its not oc'd v much. only 88. Although i wouldnt expect corsair ram to crap out easily. Didnt change timings at all..