Fermi Cards - Powersavings Driver Issue (GTX460 only or all Fermis)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by BetA, Jul 31, 2010.

?

DPC Issues or not? What u got?

1. GF100 - Yes, i also have these Issues

10 vote(s)
    5.5%
  2. GF100 - No, I dont have these Issues

45 vote(s)
    24.9%
  3. GF104 - Yes, I have these Issues

39 vote(s)
    21.5%
  4. GF104 - No, I dont have these Issues

31 vote(s)
    17.1%
  5. Other GF - Yes, I have also Issues

6 vote(s)
    3.3%
  6. Other GF - No, I dont have those issues

8 vote(s)
    4.4%
  7. What the Hell are you talking about ?

42 vote(s)
    23.2%
  1. Cru_N_cher

Cru_N_cher Guest

GPU:
    MSI NX8800GT OC
    Slowly this DPC issue reports in combination with what seems WDM 1.1 are getting scary, can this problem be reproduced with the older Driver Model ?
    Did somebody tried a old Driver on Win7 that doesn't support the new Driver Model do the peaks go away then ? or did someone tried it directly on Windows XP same problems ?

This somehow remembers me about another issue with Win7 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToFgYylqP_U
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zzKDHHevxs

is this one btw fixed in the SP1 Beta ?

Does this DPC issue also happens with Aero turned off ?

The move of Microsoft to a GPU based GUI (now 2nd Generation) was a big one and problems are to be expected, especially in how different hardware and driver handle this especially when state switching to save energy is used.
    But all the issues you hear about this switch still are scary in terms of how it affects Performance and Latencies (Video Problems,DPC Issues,Slower GUI drawing then you had with Software CPU Rendering). I guess Nvidias Driver team works non stop to fix those issues or make them less problematic and not cost to much performance in the process.

I guess @ the moment you wont see any Pro Gamer (that earns money with it ) use Win7 ;)

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  2. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    ^
    dunno looked allot lower here and i had 720p video playing in the background, max was 25% while scrolling down.. or around 10-15% (720p took away 5-8%)
    2d images looked fast too - maybe its an ati issue i saw he used ATI gpu..

This is something else, guess they didnt include "voltage regulator?" to save costs and its software based, just like fan regulator on lower end gpu's, like mine atm, it depends on a driver..
    Old 8800gts had build in fan controller and looks like real G100 aka 465/470/480gtx have build in voltage regulator too and that's why they're not affected.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  3. texasrattler

texasrattler Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX670 2GB FTW
    Bios update for the video card? I think that could help but I think the dpc latency issue has happened before with nVidia cards. I believe a driver update fixed the issue for some.

4. tehalirigsho

tehalirigsho Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX460 SC
    evga recently issued a bios update to allow for 100% fan speed.. which made me think a possible fix for this would be for them to issue another optional bios update which allows users to have the card run at full clock speeds at all times (like my old 9800s) and eliminate the downclocking on these cards all together (or get this fixed with future drivers).
    maybe even 50% clock speed for low power mode would eliminate the dpc issues? right now the low power mode clocks seem a bit too low...

5. Zach A.

Zach A. New Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 460
    Ahhh.

I'm tired of audio glitching when switching windows and random stuttering.

Apparently the 260 series of drivers is going to fix this.

6. Theliel

Theliel Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7600GT 600/1800
    Disabling Aero was my first fix for the problem, but isnt the solution. Anyway will be a good idea test under W7 SP1, maybe later if i have some time

7. Zach A.

Zach A. New Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 460
    So i just took back my 460. They wanted to recharge me a restalking fee but i managed to get it across that the card is faulty.

running a 465 now... ZERO ISSUES. WOOT!

8. Vood007

Vood007 Master Guru

GPU:
    Too
    Who ever thought that? Like phoenix from the ashes ;)

scnr

9. balboing

balboing New Member

GPU:
    Sparkle nvidia Gtx460 768
    I'm gonne do the same I think, already one week i've buyed this card and always nothing new from nvidia ... grrr :bang:

10. midweskid

midweskid Guest

Ended up returning the 460, I'll see what come down the line later this year.

11. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    UPDATE on the situation:
    Thanks to JZ from the Gigabyte Forum to letting me know ;)

greetz Beta - stay Tuned

12. Theliel

Theliel Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7600GT 600/1800
    Er.... I dont understand the reason, but suddenly all my 460 DPC latency issues have vanished!! Today, I have open dcp latency checker and all work fine.

No driver update, no bios update, no windows update. The only change in all case was connect my second monitor to work with multimonitor

Really interesting... i go to doing some more test

13. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:

that's why. :nerd:

14. Theliel

Theliel Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7600GT 600/1800
    No really.

My GPU clock (RAM, Shaders...) run on power save mode in this moment (with two monitor enable). More even, i can disable the second monitor any time, and my DPC dont change. I will post some images.

15. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    ^
    dude that's directly from nvidia's geforce driver release notes pdf , are you gonna argue with nvidia? xD

once you hook up 2 monitors it needs more power to run them, it won't enter in 2d mode(low 3d power maybe, but not 2d low clocks), that's why you don't see any spikes..

16. ThEcLiT

ThEcLiT Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 460 1gb OC
    i got my 460 early today. 1st i was getting alot of spikes at desktop , like 10-15 in 30 secs, and all over 4k 8k. And its almost 8 9 hours of time passed and now i get 1-3 spikes at 30 secs at desktop(lowest power saving mod)...

But i restarted pc and looked again. here...... its so annoying.

[​IMG]

mainboard p35C DS3R F12 bios
    Gigabyte 460 1gb OC 70.04.0F.00.01 bios

and yes, i was not getting any spikes before new 460.. And didnt changed anything than 8800GT > 460

17. Theliel

Theliel Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7600GT 600/1800
    I dont argue nothing, only show my results:

[​IMG]

Take some seconds ago with multi-monitor. The same results with second monitor enabled or disabled. No more issues for me at least for now, and you can see the card its running on power save mode (no low 3d power)

DCP latency checker running for at most 2 hours and always the same results, no more peaks.

Edit: Some times (randomly), with second monitor enabled, RAM jump exactly to high performance and CPU to low 3d, some seconds later to power save again. With Second monitor disabled (but atached) always running on power save. In both cases, no DCP latency issues.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  18. texasrattler

texasrattler Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX670 2GB FTW
    I updated my motherboard bios from MSI. Still no change. DPC issue is likely due to the 460 itself or the driver.

19. terau

terau New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB
    I have the same problem with a 790GX chipset mobo and gtx460,

Seriously I don't think that NVIDIA can fix this, as it is a limitation of the lowest c-state of GTX 460. The frequencies in idle are too low to handle simple desktop drawing fast enough, that why nvidia stalls the whole DPC system.

The notebook guys are waiting 2 years for a DPC fix from nvidia and they still haven't got a clear solution.

I hope I am wrong...

20. Theliel

Theliel Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7600GT 600/1800
    you are wrong. The problem isnt the low cpu on power safe, its only a driver problem. For example, some boards have the issues, other work perfectly. If you disable Aero work fine too. Its a minor issue for the most of all cases.

Remember, nVidia ONLY have release a official driver suite for 460, its very probable that nvidia know the problem and fix them soon.