Fallout 4 Performance Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by RexOmnipotentus, Nov 9, 2015.

1. TonyTurbo

TonyTurbo Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64 @ 1750/1180
    using 1000 polling rate and yes I normally use unified gpu monitoring, but in the above graph i turned it off just once to see the levels of each card individually to see what was what.

2. TonyTurbo

TonyTurbo Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64 @ 1750/1180
    The thing is though, I can be standing in Sanctuary just stationary, have 82% on both GPU's sitting at 100FPS plus, then all of a sudden the both cards usages just drop through the floor for no apparent reason.

3. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    The "no apparent reason" has a name: DX11 API overhead.

AMD bad performance in this and the old Fallout 4 engine and very bad optimization sum in the bad effect over FPS stability.

Use shadow boost.

4. RexOmnipotentus

RexOmnipotentus Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    As far as i know, Afterburner sometimes might give you incorrect readings of the GPU usage while using CrossFire. This is the reason that the unified GPU usage monitoring option was added. This will give you a much better reading. Without unified GPU usage you might get incorrect readings. So you should take the results you are getting with a grain of salt. I for instance, can't get a correct reading without unified GPU usage monitoring enabled. It's always bouncing up and down from 99 - 0.

5. TonyTurbo

TonyTurbo Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64 @ 1750/1180
    wow what a difference, now using Shadow Boost makes

GPU usage now is actually holding steady, not jumping all over the place, and getting upwards of 100fps quite alot, towns drop down into the 80's and 90's but wow what a difference. This was quite a foggy scene, using the True Storms mod, but just look at that lovely number. This is Ultra with low God Rays at 1440p

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thank You very much.

6. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Finally you hear me! :D

Can you post your VRAM usage, committed RAM (global) and committed RAM by Fallout4.exe process while playing?

I'm really interested to see the difference the 8 GB VRAM in 390s makes on commit requirements.

7. TonyTurbo

TonyTurbo Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64 @ 1750/1180
    Lol thank you.

Give me an hour or so, wife just home and dinner but watch this thread.

8. TonyTurbo

TonyTurbo Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64 @ 1750/1180
    ok Sammerbella does this help

will put under spoiler as I'm not sure how big i can make the pics on here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Thanks to take your time for that.

Interesting...relatively low VRAM usage and commit charge with Fallout 4 so 8 GB VRAM vs 4 GB VRAM is not an important factor at least at the res you use.

I guess ROTTR with very high texture setting at 1440p or 4K could be very different but that's a different story. :)

I use imgur for pics this free web service has a lot of pic resize options as output links and roks well.

To be able to see AB OSD inmedium or small size pics you can change the size of OSD font in RTSS for the Fallout4.exe profile.I use it when i want to post 4K/8K/12K downsampled pics of some games at a reasonable size for web forums and still see the OSD numbers.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  10. nav-jack

nav-jack Master Guru

GPU:
    980 ti 1520/2000
    Why do you guys still run this over 61fps? I should post a vid of my game. Tons of mods, shadow boost, enb just for performance. Everything on highest even god rays. Things as smooth as butter. My new 5775c eats this game up.

11. TonyTurbo

TonyTurbo Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64 @ 1750/1180
    because I've a 144hz 1440p freesync screen, higher the better. So damn smooth up past 70fps, ideally between 100fps and 120fps is a game changer.

12. nav-jack

nav-jack Master Guru

GPU:
    980 ti 1520/2000
    no issues with computer terminals or cutscenes?

13. Insan1tyOne

Insan1tyOne Member

GPU:
    AMD R9 295X2
    Hello Everyone,

I am searching for some help with my Fallout 4. I am getting absolutely terrible performance with my machine and I cannot figure out why. I am using everything on Ultra except I have TAA off. I am also using ShadowBoost but it doesn't seem to be doing much of anything. When I fast travel to the "high-density" area of Boston my draw-calls soar to over 55,000 at some points and I only get about 10 FPS. This is with the latest AMD driver (16.1.1 Hotfix 2) that has the working Crossfire Profile. Can anyone give me any advice as to what I should do to increase my performance?

Thanks!

- Insan1tyOne

14. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Which is the monitor res?

VSR?

15. Insan1tyOne

Insan1tyOne Member

GPU:
    AMD R9 295X2
    I am running the game at 3440 x 1440, and I am not using VSR. Although I may have just solved my problem accidentally. I started the game without any mods enabled and I was getting about 40 - 45 FPS in the same area that I had been getting 10 FPS with the mods enabled. This is very peculiar though as none of the mods I have installed are supposed to be performance impacting.

Also please excuse my while I update my rig. I am actually running a whole new system now.

Thanks!

- Insan1tyOne :)

16. xxela

xxela Master Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 XT Red Devil
    Maybe somethings wrong with ShadowBoost or isn't configured properly. Try delete it and put the shadows distance to medium in game settings. In the ini file the value for shadow distance should be 3000.

17. Insan1tyOne

Insan1tyOne Member

GPU:
    AMD R9 295X2
    I will try that... Right now in my ShadowBoost.ini it just says the default which is 3000 min and 15000 max? I also have it set to target 58 FPS as I have the 60 FPS framerate cap enabled.

- Insan1tyOne

18. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    So how it reach 55,000 in Boston?

Try enabling mods one by one to find the offender.

It could also be a mod incompatible with another.

19. Insan1tyOne

Insan1tyOne Member

GPU:
    AMD R9 295X2
    I think I have a hunch of which mod it could be... I have narrowed it down to three but I will test one by one later tonight. The three that I think it could be are:

1.) New Fallout Environment
    2.) Fallout 4 Seasons - Spring 3.0
    3.) More Grass

Most likely it is either More Grass or Fallout 4 Seasons - Spring 3.0. I am leaning towards More Grass. I guess I can just reduce the grass rate in the .ini. I have it set to 20 (default) but it looks like the mod author is recommending either 3, 5, or 10.

Although 45 FPS in Downtown Boston with no mods enabled with Crossfire 290X's is still not great at all... I was hoping for a solid 60. Especially with ShadowBoost. Is there anything else I can do (settings-wise) to further improve my FPS?

- Insan1tyOne

20. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    that seems really low with a 295x2 and 1440p.

at 1080p, i get 55 downtown with a single 290, half a dozen mods, all ultra except: high godrays (limited to 16x tess in crimson), and high shadow distance.

There are some dips, but it mostly stays in the mid 50s downtown

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016