Fallout 3 crowned 'game of year'

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Redemption80, Oct 31, 2009.

1. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/hi/technology/newsid_10000000/newsid_10002600/10002660.stm

Can't say i would of picked it, but i know it was loved by many.

2. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    Funny, I uninstalled the game after 2 hours of first playing because it reminded me too much of Oblivion down to the camera.

3. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Oblivion bored me rotten, but the lack of the dumb fantasy stuff convinced me to buy Fallout3, but after a few days i realised that neither the story or gameplay was enough to keep me coming back.

Might give it another chance one time though.

4. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    My mate raves about F3 saying its the best game ever. I just simply can not get into it. The setting is dull and the engine, whilst optimised, is boring in it self. The graphics are ok I just think the animations are terrible. Your movement seems robotic-like.

I got into STALKER much more than this, heck I even got into Oblivion much much more than this. That game I played none stop for almost 19 hours.

I have it reinstalled as my mate keeps on ranting about it, he has made me want to give it another try. But I cant bring my self to play the first area, inside the vault, that puts me off the game far too much. It bores me to death and it lasts a lot longer than the starting area in Oblivion. King dies, walk through tiny sewer area and the game begins. F3 you have to be born, be a baby, be a kid at your birthday, shoot giant insect, do a school test, speak to nobodies, then escape the vault... BORING!

The only FPSRPG game I love more than any other is STALKER 1, whilst it can be dull at times the atmosphere and gameplay were excellent. Plus the storyline whilst cliché was still engrossing.

5. TyrantofJustice

TyrantofJustice Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    It is funny cause I loved both FO3 and Oblivion but could not get into Stalker,Stalker seems like a good game but I just can not get interested enough in it kinda like the Witcher.

6. JohnMaclane

JohnMaclane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb
    totally deserved. Fallout 3 is awesome.

7. Duke Nil

Duke Nil Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    I'd definitely vote stalker over fallout as well - people say stalker's biggest problem is bugginess, I personally had more crashes in FO3 than stalker, and the ones I had in FO3 were far worse because the game would then consistently crash in the same place thereafter. FO3's saving grace is supposed to be it's moddability, and I agree it is, but there are fantastic (if not as many) mods for stalker as well.

However stalker is aimed at a much narrower market (no consoles + lesser-known ukrainian developer), and of course wasn't released this year. From everything I've heard of call of pripyat though, that game should definitely beat out fallout

8. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    i only did the main quest on FO3 , and thought it was way over too soon.
    the blowing up special effects is cool though, but it will also reduce the realtime speed of the game. oh well its a rpg not a action game after all.

9. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    Wrong section ?

anyways it was a good game.

10. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    Fallout 3 is a very quality game love it or hate it. its deep, entertaining and massive.

11. chris

chris Guest

GPU:
    GTX460
    Also loved stalker,great game

12. Outrance

Outrance Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x HD6950 950Mhz/1350Mhz
    For me as well. Just picked it up a couple of months ago and tried to do them all. Also did a lot of exploring and generally just took my time. Man, it was 10x better the second play through and also more addictive.

I've never played Oblivion but played both Stalkers and loved them just as much.

13. Decane

Decane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    Oblivion is better.

14. DgtlOutcst

DgtlOutcst Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX260 (55nm)
    That's a shame. Games like this, and The Elder Scrolls games are pretty much meant to be played for the sidequests. Since they can be quite surprising en therefor, entertaining.
    Who can forget the sidequest where you had to go rescue a painter out of his own painting. Poison your weapon with turpentine to get rid of the painted trolls faster.

Fallout 3 is no different.

15. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    I completely agree. I gave it a fair chance with around 12 hours played. But no matter how much I wanted to like it, I just couldn't get into it. It was exactly the same with Oblivion for me. Everything just feels too shallow.

Oh, and thread moved.

16. jackttt

jackttt Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 970
    There are alot more rpgs that are better than F3 i guess maybe Risen should win that?Fallout 3 is kinda bored to me .I guess the whole point of playing it is just for the mods.

17. IAmGhostDog

IAmGhostDog Guest

GPU:
    XFX R9 390
    Well you certainly didn't get your monies worth.
    I did every side quest.
    Explored/found every location.
    Found every Bobblehead.
    Played all 5 DLC's
    Excellent game.
    Was sorry to see it end.

18. nonymous666

nonymous666 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Founders
    Fallout 3 is different in that when the main quest ends, you can't play the side quests anymore.

That was one of it's biggest gameplay flaws, imo.

19. PirateNeilsouth

PirateNeilsouth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    980 OC
    How is it GAME OF THE YEAR , when it's October?

20. Aioras

Aioras Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti ***937;
    Interesting, yet a few games to come on the next two months, some of them very promising, and they´ve got now the game of the year.. xddd

Fallout 3 is just Great, but I´m not totally agree with the ranking, why Batman AA is not there for example?