Facebook Seeks to Place Video Cameras in Your Private Space

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 15, 2018.

1. I don't know about that (Gay Pride Parade Mainstream Media argument). Not withstanding being a gay man myself. I got the point of the post - I think...(mainstream news distortion) lil "out there" (so some people are into BDSM/subs/doms) *shrugs* but eh anyways...

I don't think I'm enlightened or anyone is because of a way they are far as being gay. I don't recall seeing that in the news but if it's been in it - it's wrong. I mean... it's a Meme and a bit of a vague one at that... I'll leave it there...

haha yeah ..

EDIT: sorry to double post MOD/all - my apologies - meant to do as one...

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2018
  2. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    When you consider that a few years back, it was discovered that someone working in the IT department of a school system was accessing the builtin webcams on "rented" laptops (yes, the school system allowed students to rent laptops because the school system required students in certain grade levels to have a laptop) to watch young girls, I'd say my concern here is well founded.

At the same time, you have to consider the fact that even Amazon's Echo devices are capable of being used to spy on people. This device, being another Amazon device (and part of a partnership with Facebook), there's no reason to believe without absolute (validated) proof from several respected security firms, that this device can not be used to spy on people. Since that proof will never come, and given the track record of Amazon (and the ability of the Echo to record and transmit voice data) and the track record of Facebook (who has put zero effort into securing the data of their users).... It would be quite idiotic to say that people concerned over privacy are trying to hide illegal activities. Parents with young children SHOULD be concerned about privacy in regards to technology like this. Let's face it. It's a webcam. It's accessible from outside of it's physical location. That means that the likelihood of someone finding out how to exploit it for illegal purposes is relatively high. Any GOOD parent would be leery of having a device like this in their home.

3. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Not only that people were also leery about the Kinect that came with the Xbox-one being able to spy on people as well. I agree with what you are saying and also I feel if Amazon and Facebook fail to keep this device secure and some one hacks this device for spying purposes then I sense a lawsuit happening in the far distant future.

4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    It's my firm belief that if someone hacks into this device and uses it in a manor that aids in the commission of a crime, Amazon and Facebook should be held legally responsible (as accomplices) if they haven't done everything humanly possible to prevent such abuse.

Fender178 and fantaskarsef like this.

5. quantum hacker

quantum hacker Guest

GPU:
    GTX 275 - 896 MB
    Digital assistant? Don't kid yourself, you're probably not that important to need a digital assistant. Use your brain like people have for thousands of years you lazy fudges and stop helping these goofdarned wannabe leftist dictators from gaining any more power over our private lives!

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    "leftist dictators".... It would depend on where you're from as to who is trying to take over your private life. However, there is nothing political about this thread and no reason to attempt to make it political. Not everything in life revolves around politics.

Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  7. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
  8. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    This thread is already drifing off into politics again, wp. I guess I won't comment on stuff like "leftist dictators", and we probably should get back to privacy concerns on that topic.

The main issue, as others have wrote down and I agree with, is that the companies offering the infrastructure (webserver etc.) for stuff like that to run not even profit off the information you have (Amazon offering cold medication if you cough more than X times an hour), but they also are NOT looking out for your data's privacy in any way... and they can't be held accountable for it, unless you have hard proof of any relation to their misdoing. But to get that you'd have somebody 3rd party to inspect any system behind it, which will NEVER happen at all. So using that stuff actually is a safety risk on it's on...

I pitty people who think that this and smart speakers and whatnot is really a digital assistant to you, when in reality you're inviting the companies that live off you buying (silly) stuff. They're only there to better learn how to exploit you as a customer.

9. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    This has nothing to do with politics. So stop dragging politics into this.
    Agreed. And both companies have to shut down forever.

10. Gromuhl'Djun

Gromuhl'Djun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070ti
    So people who don't want to share everything are suddenly some kind of chilbeating perverts? Way to go. Better to embrace everything without questioning it then.

Beside that your argument isn't even good enough to be a logical fallacy, you'll have to consider the following:
    Even if facebook were a noble company with naught but good intentions (which they aren't, they are meant to make profit), they can't be trusted with all the sensitive data they'll get with this. They'll get hacked, there'll be a leak, identities will be stolen, and information will be misused in all kind of manners.
    But we all know that facebook will only use all the information to see how they can control your life even more.
    Hey, it's fine if you want a company to control you, go right ahead. But please think things through beforehand. Nothing good will come of the arguments you are making.

11. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    You’re a camwhore?