EA Infects Battlefield Hardline with new ghastly DRM

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 25, 2015.

1. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Cant find anything that mentions hardware change limits etc in the below link from EAs site.

http://www.ea.com/terms-of-service#section23
    http://www.ea.com/1/product-eulas

That crap... It made so many of my physical copies of games unusable. FC1 in Ubis budget brand retail lineup had SF, it spun so fast in my drive the center of the disk shattered.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  2. InSaNeOldGuy

InSaNeOldGuy Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti
    Is it a legal requirement for EA to declare the use of DRM ?

3. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    yikes.... you know a company screwed up bad when Hilbert gets this mad. EA deserves it though - I avoid games from them as much as possible. If I see a game where I'm like "oh that looks cool" and see EA attached to it, I won't buy it.

I just really wish EA would stop buying smaller companies and destroying their IP. DICE is extremely vulnerable right now.

4. gUNN1993

gUNN1993 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 670 Windforce 3
    Its like they want this game to fail so they can have an excuse to can visceral, they might as well let people hack this game, not like you're gona have much fun driving round in a circle for hours on end.

5. benq

benq Guest

GPU:
    EA is just bullsh.it, don't buy their games, don't benchmark them (you can't now...)

6. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    First I was chuckling because I think this is another valid reason to give a sh*t about Hardline. But then it makes you wonder if this is only the first of the titles to come that are crippled this way.

To be honest, I guess mostly reviewers get screwed by this, as I won't see myself trying out more than two GPUs until I am fed up with such a game. That doesn't change much about it being unnecessary though, as well as working against the customer, not the real problems those games have. Also, it shows they put more effort in locking down a customer's freedom (what if I want to buy a new GPU every two months and I can afford it?) than into fixing the bugs in their games.

7. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    What a pile of nonsense. First they ruin the BF franchise with this turd of a game, then they pull this. They better rethink their actions or I'm done with their games.

8. cyberfredxxx

cyberfredxxx Member Guru

GPU:
    WF 780 GTX
    I recognize I hate this policy but I admit I love BF4 and BFH , I really enjoy these games ( especially BFH , fun , fast etc...)

9. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    There has to be a way to contact them to get a new activation, As Deep silver did something similar for Two worlds1/2. Where you after you changed hardware including Oses you could get a new activation code by phoning in,email or thru there internet activation.

If EA doesn't have a way to do it then this protection is overdoing it and needs to patch it with a different kind of protection if there are so keen on trying to protect their games from pirates but it might as well not be there at all,If pirates wanna play something for nothing, there gonna do it anyway and get around protections to do it.Only way to stop them if you kick their door down and bash their computers with a sledge hammer and them as well.

If its there to combat cheater then they need to do it another way.If it there to try to stop pirates then it isn't gonna work any way other then slowing them down.They should give reviewers a special key that works across muiti computer setups that different then retail keys. So hardware reviewers can use the games for benchmarks and reviews.

It always the cheaters and the pirates that ruin a good thing for every one else. If it wasn't for them we still be either going thru manuals and looking for a word to play the game,CD serial's or no protection at all.

I have no interest in battlefield hardline any way as it just another game like ET quake wars, battlefield etc type of game and i have too many of those type of shooter style games any way. Tho game protection doesn't scare me easily since I don't change hardware a dozen of times and usually there a way to get a new activation from the game pub if I did.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  10. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Pretty much the same here. Sh*t like this always makes me think of an old friend, he already warned me about EA 12 years ago...

11. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Just one more reason not to support these pathetic cash crabs.

This 'game' is nothing more than an expansion and should have been priced accordingly.

When you add this kind of intrusive DRM, it's a lose/lose.

It's time to boycott this type of garbage across the board.

The one thing I will give EA is that they will refund you 'no questions asked' via the GGG.

Steam desperately needs a global equivalent.

I know there is some kind of recently instituted refund policy in the EU where Steam is concerned but there is absolutely no recourse in NA at present.

12. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Well looks like this is about to blow up on the internet, getting some good traffic hilbert haha

13. BrainDedd

BrainDedd Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix 1070 OC
    Happened to me with the new Dragon Age: Inquisition patch too. Didn't even change any of my hardware. :(

Edit: Best solution I could see was to wait 24 hours. Not about to re-download the whole game and reinstall it and my OS.

14. Octopuss

Octopuss Guest

GPU:
    -
    Holy ****. This is just inexcusable.
    I was heavy in doubt whether to buy another game with EA sticker on it after all the crap they were responsible for with BF4, but I am decided now. I refuse to support this kind of company.

15. cps1974

cps1974 Guest

GPU:
    Inno3d GTX770 4GB
    I enjoyed BF4 immensely all be it I picked it up a bit late (like 3 or 6 months after retail release) so maybe I missed most of the rubber banding and bad net code issues (or maybe not reading what others still say on same subject). but then I've put hundreds of hours into each BF instalment (BF42 through BF4)

I think BF Hardline would be a fun game in itself (I tried the beta on xb1) but for me it's just not Battledfield unless there are 2 countries or continents (and/or their allied) armies slugging it out

I am pretty sure (the majority) of those who invest will enjoy the game.

However this DRM is crazy and really reminds us who/what EA/UBi are

16. rta

rta Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX970
    EA being EA again. :bang:

17. LNCPapa

LNCPapa Master Guru

GPU:
    2xEVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
    Went through the same thing at Techspot to do the review there. Took 3 accounts and some waiting around.

18. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Is there some logic behind Hardware bans? are they issued to entire PC configuration as a whole or part by part, so if banned user sells GPU, receiver can't play?

BTW, HW ID can be altered.

19. Liquor

Liquor Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 780tiSC Underwater
    windows 10 just around the corner, so a few gamers will upgrade. that's 1 change, upgrade graphics card, another change. need to reinstall the OS another change.
    a year later upgrade the system, yet another change. oh snap, going SLI/Crossfire hardware change. would gsync/freesync count on this list as well???

some of us have more than 1 computer or laptop for travel. a couple more changes.

yeah, you said it best. EA is shooting themselves in the foot when it comes to the PC gaming community with this DRM nonsense.

im still looking for those hardware cheaters. LoL did I miss something?

EA has lost its way years ago, though their community shouts their distaste, we still buy their garbage...

last EA game I bought was SWTOR, and I will not purchase another EA title or any title from one of EA's divisions. ubisoft lost me at R6: Vegas 2.

20. irat

irat Guest

GPU:
    760GTX
    all you have to do is not to buy their bull****, once they learned the lesson they will never do it but what you guys do is keep buying their crap and scolding them, whats the point?