Different clock speeds???

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by CPC_RedDawn, Nov 12, 2019.

1. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Currently using the default Windows Balanced Power Plan for general PC use and then Ryzen High Performance Profile whilst gaming.

As both Ryzen Balanced and High Performance Plan's seem to hold the CPU at high clock speeds and volts and thus high temps when not doing anything.

I just installed Ryzen Master again to see any improvements as last time I used it, it was very buggy.

Here is a screenshot showing Ryzen Master compared to CPUZ.....

https://i.**********/HnDwjJzd/Untitled.png

Ryzen Master shows my 3900X and its cores, most of which are sleeping thanks to Global C-States and Windows Balanced Power Plan, and shows the CPU core speed dropping as low as 230MHz..... and average peak of 472MHz.... Whereas CPUZ shows a mixture of 3.8GHz-4.6GHz across the cores.... CPUZ never shows any lower?

Which one is reporting the correct clocks??

Sorry if this has already been answered.

Also which Power Plan is every else using?

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Ryzen master can report the processor speed/state when its in C7,8,9 etc. CPU-Z cannot.

CPC_RedDawn likes this.
  3. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Yeah Ryzen Master is more accurate. You'll see if you monitor clocks under load that they are more or less the same between Ryzen Master and other tools but RM is still the most accurate.

Btw personally recommend using HWInfo for monitoring Ryzens. From 3rd party tools it should be the most reliable and by my experience, is.
    (But it won't show correct values for low power state / sleeping cores either).

Using Ryzen balanced power plan myself.

CPC_RedDawn likes this.
  4. liviut

liviut Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080/8GB
    with 6.14 version it shows the effectiveness of the clocks too like ryzen master

AsiJu and CPC_RedDawn like this.

5. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Thanks guys.

That's cleared it up for me.

Although I do see higher volts and temps on ryzen balanced profile compared to windows balanced

6. Dazz

Dazz Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    You will do as when running on a single core i.e back ground activity one core is all thats needed to keep them running at it will be running at it's highest clock speed typically around 1.45-1.5v while all the other cores are parked, windows will spread it out among the cores but tries to keep as low a clock speed as possible.

CPC_RedDawn likes this.
  7. Can’t remember who on here or where it was sourced from but @CPC_RedDawn

1. Ryzen Master accesses the AGESA via closed source method proprietary to AMD that they up till now have no intention of changing. As such reports the “true” status of temps and relative UEFI data involved with sensors and such. Now depending on vendor and investment into development of BIOS updates etc certain common place open source methods and programs have become compatible as well and now in turn report accurate readings too.
    2. The AMD Ryzen Balanced Power Plan; depending on which chipset package you install (x370/470/570/350/450 etc) yes despite filesize etc the included power plans included vary slightly. Their preset values regarding minimum state and maximum. Irregardless you’ll notice power differences and such because those pre-set values actually determine whether or not the cpu is in (if memory serves) a software assisted p-states via os/ C-States or the hardware integrated “Speedtest”

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2019
    CPC_RedDawn likes this.
  8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Any application can now access the cpu this way via the ryzen master sdk.

Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  9. :oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:

10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti

11. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    OK i read all of that but still don't know if this is just for 3XXX chips or 2XXX as well.

I'm still very worried about Gigabytes EC FW tool because MANY people have had serious issues after installing it. Some even claiming bricked mobo's that boot into Bios but all controls aren't working which = dead mobo. Without KB & mouse you are basically screwed.

I want the latest AGESA possible for my board obviously but not sure it's worth the risk.

I'm on AMD Ryzen balanced plan but my 2600X never down clocks from 3.6, only boosting to 4.25. I set the minimum processor state to 10% because default is 90% which can't be right surely. I mean i thought these new chips were meant to be efficient. I see this in Aida64 - Min / Max CPU Multiplier 22x / 36x but it never goes to 22x and i also see a low low clock of 5.55x which would be lovely for idle.

For me on bios F32 and at that step of installing the EC FW update tool before installing F40 to F50 which is AGESA 1.0.0.4 B.

I know @K.S. already asked what am i worried about installing EC FW tool in another thread but after reading hundreds of peoples posts having issues with it i'm actually terrified even with DualBios tech, losing KB + Mouse is fatal because they reported even the back up bios lost mouse/kb support. Nightmare.

12. Hmmm -

You're correct; there are reports supporting that & also supporting the instructions I gave previously. Leading me to believe it's an inconsistent outcome overall for customers. I'll attach some sources below; hopefully they'll assist.

[​IMG]

"You have to install EC FW Update Tool" Gigabyte forums, by leocaldasbr 05/24/19
    "EC FW update Tool, what is it?" reddit/gigabytegaming by wsarahan 05/21/19​

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2019
  13. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    This is my exact problem too. I use Ryzen Balanced Plan and never see the CPU downclock properly to x22 multiplier, it hits this very briefly but always shoots back up and stays around 3.8-4.3GHz and sometimes boosts certain cores to its rated 4.65GHz boost but like idle clocks its rare and for milliseconds.

Using Ryzen Master it shows core clockspeeds going as low as 230MHz, however..... using MSI AB to report Temps when using the Ryzen Balanced Plan it shows temps have at least increased +10C compared to using Windows Balanced Plan as this has 5% min CPU power. With the Windows Balanced Plan I have set max min to 5% and max to 50% which gives me a max clock of 2200MHz (x22 multi) and now idle temps sit around 30-35C whereas with the Ryzen Balanced Plan temps sit around 39-45C sometimes even hitting 50-55C when simply browsing the web.

This behaviour can't be right. If Ryzen Master shows using Ryzen Balanced that most of the cores/threads are Sleeping and some are around 200-400MHz then why are temps higher than using default Windows Balanced Plan? It seems to me that Ryzen Balanced must keep some form of higher voltage but again this can't be the case as Ryzen Master shows vcore dropping as low as 0.33v which would keep the temps well under 30C when idling.

Something is really not right here. We have conflicting software reporting different results and reading and the temps simply don't make sense. Like I said I have edited the Windows Balanced Plan to keep the CPU at 2.2GHz MAX as this gives MUCH better temps when simply web browsing, watching videos, or even light gaming with older titles.

I am going to check the BIOS tomorrow and see if there are any hidden vendor settings that are making the CPU boost higher. I think Asus has "Core Performance Boost" on by default which could be keeping the CPU clocking higher and overriding power plans. Probably not the case, but worth a shot.

Its things like this that make me think I should upgrade to X570.... you see youtuber reviewers testing these CPU's out (mostly on x570) and getting idle temps are 27-33C mark and load temps are around 75-80C mark. How are they getting such low idle temps? They never state which bios settings they turn on or off or which power plan they are using. It leads to a lot of confusion.

EDIT:

I have used both AIO's and HSF and both still give more or less the same results. Though am looking at those new Arctic AIO's which seem amazing for the price.