Dell 28-Inch 4K LCD Monitor P2815Q under 700 USD

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Dell will be releasing another Ultra HD - 4K LCD monitor, the P2815Q. Adopting a TN panel though, so this is the budget friendly version you can get for under 700 USD. The new 28-inch LED-backlight mo...

Dell 28-Inch 4K LCD Monitor P2815Q under 700 USD

2. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    A TN for $700? What a joke. Go home Dell, you're drunk. "Glass of arsenic zero", they mean arsenic of glass.

3. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Show me a UHD IPS monitor that is not 2-3x that price.
    It's easy to imagine a person that wants that res that does not care about IPS or TN.

4. drbaltazar

drbaltazar Guest

GPU:
    amd 7950 3gb
    Is it 100% sRGB ?or is this another TV used in a monitor idiocy?can it do 0 to 255 (probably not ,since I suspect this is normally used for ycbcr 4.2.0 (scrgb) as we know those are limited to 16 to 240 either by screen or forcefully by HDMI.maybe i m wrong?probably not given the price .if this was a 1080i it would be a great idea .but now ?it isn't standard with sRGB can't do 0 to 255 (priced too low to achieve it)so this is good for?Netflix?

5. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I can't imagine a person who pays over $500 for a monitor doesn't care about viewing angles.

6. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    A person who want's a 4k resolution as a priority.
    Same with people willing to buy G-Sync monitors, which are 1080p TN monitors for $400.

7. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP
    I want 4k - Hdmi 2.0 - 3D - 1-5 ms input lag - 0-255 full rgb - and quality panel which ever that is.

8. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    Probably someone who doesn't have their computer desk aligned in such a position that they can take a sh*t in the bathroom across the hall with the door open and still be able to clearly see their screen? By that, i mean anyone who spends 95% of their time looking at their computer screen.... looking AT their computer screen. Not sitting there saying "Hey look, i have my head off to the side of my screen, and can still see it clearly.... cause you KNOW that's useful ever."

You're not going to see a 4K IPS display, no matter what the size, for anywhere CLOSE to as cheap as $700. And if you did, you probably wouldn't want it. Hell, i probably wouldn't even take this monitor if they GAVE it to me. Yes, it's 4K.... but people have to look more closely at the specs. The reason it's a 4K display for under $1,000 isn't because it's a TN panel, it's probably got more to do with the fact that it can only do 4K resolution at 30hz. Also probably a reason why they're not IPS panels. No viewing angle could save that, no matter how meaningless viewing angles are to the vast majority of people.

9. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    I fail to understand a purpose of 4k monitor.

10. Iggyblack

Iggyblack Guest

GPU:
    PNY GTX 960 1330/1790
    As a photographer, I welcome it.

11. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    that's.... pretty much the only point behind a 4K monitor..... image quality.

12. Iggyblack

Iggyblack Guest

GPU:
    PNY GTX 960 1330/1790
    Graphic Designers, Video Editors, Animation... etc that's a HUGE chunk of consumers just from a business/corporate standpoint.

Then you have the Amateurs/Hobbyist etc. there is a point in them, but not for everyone. just like not everyone needs $1500 dollars Ezio screens, or pc monitors with 3D and 120Hz.

Edit:

Not just image quality, but space on my screen.

13. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Graphic Designers, Video Editors must have a good color reproduction. If its 4k TN panel, colors will horrible. (quality ISP 4K stand a point here though).

So having 3 or 6 monitors won't help here, since you need picture on single screen (without frames of other monitors interrupting it), right?

14. Iggyblack

Iggyblack Guest

GPU:
    PNY GTX 960 1330/1790
    Eh, It's more about the person. I edit my photos on a TN panel, and I know a lot of people that do as well, including people with published work. A lot just buy color calibration tools and call it a day.

I find a lot of people to make big deal about tn vs ips mainly because of viewing angles. people will also argue that a korean ips monitor is inferior to an ezio one, despite both being IPS. so just saying that colors must suck on something because it isn't IPS, is a bit of a standard as well.

15. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    True, partially.

TN panels are not bad for colour, just viewing angles and contrast uniformity.

A cheap MVA/PVA would be significantly better for photo work than a TN panel, and in some cases less money.

Do we Absolutely know this monitor is TN, I looked for details yesterday and couldn't find the panel information...

16. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4090
    Personally the more resolution the better for me. Both for photography and gaming. However it's the lack of capable Gpu's that prevents me from moving. will stick at 2560 until you can run 4k properly on a.single card.

17. CDJay

CDJay Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 FE SLI
    Less fussed by the TN aspect (there's a trade off, after all, with all panel types). We should all, really, be fixating on the 30hz limitation at 4k. Which, genuinely, renders this utterly useless for 99% of usage models.

CDJay

18. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock

At the moment you have DP 1.2, you should be good to go for 60hz+ ..

Im not too much worry this is the entry level for Dell 4K lineup, and you will got a second 28 in addition of the 32" allready announced. TN have been choosed for the low response time ( 5ms grey to grey without acceleration ) on a 4K panel, and surely reduced latency.. Not this one is surely the new generation of TN.. Some TN have been pretty good at color reproduction ( including the Samsung i have own by the past,
    .. The question is allways to know if they are callibrate on the stage, or if you need do it.

I will better want it with PLS panel ofc.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  19. CDJay

CDJay Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 FE SLI
    Not on this specific model, though. That's the killer! It's stuck at 30hz for 4k. The Asus 28inch model incoming doesn't seem to be similarly afflicted.

CDJay

20. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Really? Really? TN?

Some people may say they don't care about viewing angles... but they will care if they face so big screen. You can't have small angles with 4k unless you put it far away, which effectively defeats its purpose. There is a one place, where I can imagine people using it - text editors. You'll have nice, round fonts, and who cares about colors, when there's only white and black?