Dark Rock Pro TR4: High-end air cooler for AMD Ryzen Threadripper

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 16, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Now if only Noctua would do a cooler in black...

3. Wintergreen

Wintergreen Guest

GPU:
    3080 ti
    They are :) Skip to 8:59 in the vid:

4. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    making virtual shopping baskets this week while waiting for the 9900k benchmarks including one TR4 config
    hesitating to take something like this because they are freaking huge, note that "strangely" they always show horizontal pictures of that setup
    they know full well vertical pictures look insane

to anyone interested in TR4 cooling an alternative might be this liquid cooler : https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/thermaltake-floe-riing-rgb-tt-premium-edition-coolers.html based on a few tests it's quieter than most of the others AIO it's 360mm tough so pretty much reserved for a recent computer case (one without 5.25 bay most likely or a giant tower)
    compatible with TR4 even if it's not very clear how, someone already has it on a 2950x https://pcpartpicker.com/b/6Ww6Mp
    I currently have a Corsair H100 on my 5960x setup ("old" model now not even listed anymore) never had problems with cooling but the noise is frankly bad I do not want that again so still undecided, good for be quiet to have given us an alternative :)

edit : already listed at 92.90CHF / 81€ / 93.76USD but not yet available here

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018

5. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    There is no AIO or CLC on market which is more reliable than air cooler, almost every AIO/CLC is based or use Asetek pumps and they will fail, its just when not if they fail

If I would touch Thermaltake Floe, I wouldn't, their base plate or cold plate is not big enough for TR4 socket or chip, you can check few reviews where most of AIO don't perform good on TR4, only good AIO/CLC is from Enermax which doesn't have best reputation for reliability, friend went via 3 RMA

I would have look on this review of Noctua and Thermalright and few others

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2018/10/09/noctua_amd_threadripper_air_cooler_roundup/7

I have run for very long time on my 5820k or 5960x both with 4.5Ghz OC air cooler Noctua NH-D15 and at least in my case Noctua NH-D15 outperformed H100i V2 by good margin and mainly noise difference with Noctua vs H100i has been huge, these suppied fans on H100i are just too noisy,have my experience with AIO and I wouldn't touch any AIO

If budget allows then custom water loop is only option when you OC etc, most of air coolers would be more than enough for slight to mid OC but for normal OC when you push clocks well above 3.9GHz or more I think custom water loop is only option

Friend have older 1950X which he is running with air cooler(Noctua) and he is running his 1950X at 3.8GHz right now, temperatures are not bad, but still better than with AIO/CLC from Corsair with which he couldn't go beyond 3.6GHz

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

6. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    it helps thanks for the comment :)
    coming from an air cooler and having owned a real liquid cooling build (a very long time ago when it wasn't as popular) I was pretty disappointed by corsair aio noise and your point about the are covered by the AIO is something I didn't think about (not used to giant cpus lol)
    going to wait for this be quiet to be tested compared to Noctuas