catalyst 8.7 WHQL performance judgement

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by bokloz, Jul 22, 2008.

?

catalyst 8.7 WHQL performance judgement

Poll closed Aug 1, 2008.
  1. THE BEST DRIVER I HAVE EVER SEEN

17.0%
  2. WORK WELL WITH MOST OT THE THINGS

64.8%
  3. WORK WELL WITH SOMETHIGS ONLY

8.0%
  4. THE WORST DRIVER I HAVE EVER SEEN

10.2%
  1. bokloz

bokloz Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980Ti
    from the discussion it appears that some say it is the best for 48xx sereis others say it is the worst so lets see , but submit pros and cons in replies after polling ,TIA

2. YWAGMOTH

YWAGMOTH Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970 G1 Gaming
    lost 4000 points from DNA 8.7 b and crysis lost some fps to.
    on the other hand, HD videos from apple work again,they didnĀ“t work with DNA 8.7 b.

3. bokloz

bokloz Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980Ti
    Please put the reason of your choice

4. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12GB
    how about Works the same as the previous....

5. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    works fine, i think the iq is slightly better.

6. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    This driver fixed my CS-Source performance (356 with final and 123 with 8.7b-jun25) so I will keep with this. But I can not see any other inmpovement.

CFAA is still very slow for me. 6x/8x CFAA (4x MSAA + narrow/wide-tent) is much slower then 8x MSAA and 12x CFAA (4x + edgedetect) useless in some 3-5 years old game too.
    And I can not force 24x CFAA in some old games where it could be usefull (like dreamfall which starts up with a big red ATI logo. This is my favourite adventure game - the only adventure game I like - and I decidec to play it over again after some years but I waited for this driver if it can force AA/AF because 8.6/8.7b can not do it, and some years ago my old 6800GT could handle this game with driver-forced 16x AF + 4x AA. Should I play without AF and only ingame 8x MSAA with a much faster VGA? I do not want to see the border lines on the walls where trilinear filtering change the level and I want perfect AA if I was promised for me - 24x AA for old games where the card can do it with high framerate, but is it working only in new games where it is very slow? :infinity:).

And I do not like this Catalyst AI. When I disable it I lose every engine-specific optimisations (with 10-30% of my FPS). But if I set it to standard or advanced then I get some very serious image corruption in many games (like CS-Source, TimeShift, Crysis, ect...). Grids and ladders are distorted like they are molten. This is with supersampled, quality adatptive antialising, so this is another fault. And I can se black lines on walls. I could see this distortion with nv drivers when I set Quality (not HighQuality) mode and enabled Anisotripic sample and Trilinear optimisations.

So AMD should make a third AI level, when it applies only engine-specific optimisations (for shaders, texture loads, ect) without AF and trilinear optimisations. I use AF because I would get nice IQ and not to get some **** wihich is only a bit better than simple trilinear filtering and nearly as fast....
    Should I change to GTX-260?

Last edited: Jul 22, 2008
  7. UnrealGaming

UnrealGaming Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Normaly, no; because 4870 is faster... but, because you have problems with that ATI card... then change...

These drivers are the best so far...

8. fasteddy

fasteddy Guest

GPU:
    2 x Asus HD6950oc
    Worked fine with everything I've tried so far... and things are bound to improve with time anyway.

9. bokloz

bokloz Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980Ti
    hello fasteddy i missed you around ,where have you been ??

10. bokloz

bokloz Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980Ti
    ok here we go from my opservations most(not all) who said that is good driver are 4870 owner in single mode then the complaints start with 4870 crossfire and increase with 4850 owners and there is no enough 4850 crossfire owners to judge this so this driver may be optimized for single 4870 ,or i think so anyway time will prove wither i am right or ......

11. fasteddy

fasteddy Guest

GPU:
    2 x Asus HD6950oc

Hey bokloz, I've been building a Windows Home Server machine today... not had much chance to play many games with the new drivers.
    Anyway, hope you are well and keeping cool :)

12. bokloz

bokloz Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980Ti
    yeah i am fine thanks :)

13. fasteddy

fasteddy Guest

GPU:
    2 x Asus HD6950oc
    It was just nice to see our 48x series cards listed on the main drivers page.... instead of having to hunt out a "hot-fix"!

Looks like we are invited to the party from now on....

14. Evo Jex

Evo Jex New Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 275
    Just installed these last night but so far so good. Mass Effect and Crysis are all I've had a chance to test but they both seem to run smoother and I have a lot less stuttering now than with the hotfix drivers.

15. Klaus_1250

Klaus_1250 Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD3850 AGP
    Using the 8.7 AGP Hotfix version. I had some issues as all settings were cleared during the driver-update and were suboptimal after the restart. E.g. not all 3D settings which should have been ticked "Application controlled" were. Guess I have to re-enter all tweaks as well, sigh...

16. Marius

Marius Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 570 GTX SC
    The IQ seems to be better with the official over the betas, however the betas were faster(see higher fps) for my single 4850. Sticking with the officials tho because the drop off isnt enough to complain about. No change in 3dmark performance.

17. digitaljunky

digitaljunky New Member

GPU:
    Ati HD4870 X2
    Hi.

If have some problems with the new drivers that warned there when i used the 8.7 beta drivers. Especial in cod4 there is a lot going on with the official 8.7 driver. Strange screens, lockups, and game resets. I went back to the 8.7 beta drivers and all the strange things are gone. The same problems i have for 3Dmark06, strange screens but no lockups, and the score is 21758.

I have 2 hd4870 in crossfire, and i notice that there is a difference in the Ati overdrive settings in the official 8.7 driver. In crossfire 1 video card i can clock the memory from 500 to 1100 Mhz and the other i can clock from 810 to 1100 Mhz. With the 8.7 beta driver its for the 2 cards the same, from 810 to 1100 MHz. So for me its back to the beta 8.7 driver, no problems at all now.:)

So for me its: THE WORST DRIVER I HAVE EVER SEEN

Greetz DJ

Last edited: Jul 23, 2008
  18. RIP_Greave

RIP_Greave Guest

GPU:
    7970m
    Hi tried these and benched them and they work very well! i like these drivers.

19. randomizer

randomizer Guest

GPU:
    5600 xt Gaming OC
    Feels same to me but i have to try grid out. so no problems atm:)

20. Iarwain

Iarwain Banned

GPU:
    4890 990//1120
    World in Conflict doesn't cause my GPU to stop responding anymore. I'm happy.